“Great day out” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Welcome to Harlem

Welcome to Harlem
2360 Frederick Douglass Blvd., Suite D, New York City, NY 10027 (Harlem)
212-662-7779
Website
Improve this listing
Visit like an insider
$15*
and up
More attraction details
Owner description: Welcome to Harlem is a premier tour company and visitor center in Harlem, located just around the corner from the famous Apollo Theater. We are well known for our gospel and brunch, walking, shopping, soul food and jazz tours in Harlem. Using our intimate knowledge of Harlem and all it has to offer we are able to tailor distinctive tour itineraries for the perfectly personal out-of-the-ordinary Harlem experience that city-wide tours just simply can't offer.
Newcastle
21 attraction reviews
“Great day out”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 19, 2012

This tour is run by Carolyn Johnson who is a wealth of knowledge about Harlem. We just loved the tour and all her interesting information, especially since we were in a small group of 10 so she was able to chat and answer all our questions.I couldn't believe how beautiful and welcoming Harlem is. It was great to see the Apollo theatre where a lot of people, including Ella Fitzgerald were discovered. The brunch was very good and included champagne if you wanted it! The tour was worth every penny and the highlight of our stay.

On Carolyn's recommendation we went back on our last day to try the soul food in Amy Ruth's restaurant. It was certainly different, very reasonable and we all enjoyed our meal very much - including the candied yams. The staff were brilliant and made us feel very welcome. Try the coconut and pineapple cake - but share it with someone else!!

Visited August 2012

Pound Ridge, New York
“Tour was ok, but we felt mislead.”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 12, 2012

We bought a Groupon for 2 for a Welcome to Harlem walking tour with a value for up to $90.00. We chose the Morris Park Historic tour which includes lunch (regular price $35 pp). After a 3 hour walk (which was ok but not very exciting) I asked about the lunch and was told that the lunch was not included for Groupon holders. This was not the deal and we felt mislead. We had to spend extra money on lunch. Disappointing! Welcome to Harlem: if you use Groupon to attract people to your business, make sure they are happy!

Visited June 2012
WelcometoHarlem, Owner at Welcome to Harlem, responded to this review, September 2, 2012
When we do a Groupon campaign a meal is never included because who are a tour company and would clearly lose money. The regular Mount Morris Park Tour does include lunch and cost $35 is for three hours. However when we run it with Groupon it clearly states that is does not include lunch and the tour is for 90 minutes, the Groupon price for the tour is $25. If a person purchases a Groupon they only pay $12 for the voucher, remember Groupon is 1/2 the price of the item. I have no idea where this $90 value is coming from and the customer received what they paid for a walking tour.
Denver, Colorado
“Carolyn was fantastic!!! Great tour!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 15, 2011

Welcome to Harlem is a great tour company! I learned so much on our walking tour of Harlem. I also ate the best cupcake I've ever had! She took me to a cupcake place near the Lenox Lounge, tiny little place but fantastic! Carolyn is from Harlem and knows EVERYONE! I met lots of people during the tour. She had great tips for where to eat and so forth while in Harlem. I can't wait to go back and would recommend her to everyone.

Visited July 2011
Breda, The Netherlands
60 attraction reviews
“Great gospel and brunch tour”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 22, 2011

Carolyn gave us a great tour of Harlem historial district, took us to an amazing gospel church. A fantastic way to see Harlem and get insights from a local.

Visited May 2011
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
15 attraction reviews
“Great Visit Reminder of a home neighborhood”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 22, 2011

I live in Pittsburgh. I just recently visit NYC for a vacation and found (Harlem) to remind me of the area of Pittsburgh called (East Liberty) a much smaller version of Harlem. Harlem was great. I really enjoyed it. Apollo theatre was smaller on the outside than I thought it wound. This area was great.

Visited April 2011