“Nice littlel "hole in the wall"” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #1,005 of 11,777 Restaurants in New York City
Cuisines: Japanese
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
“Nice littlel "hole in the wall"”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 19, 2012

I was actually looking for another Japanese restaurant around the same area and stumbled upon this little gem. As another reviewer had noted, this place is sandwiched between two other Japanese restaurants.

My colleague and I took a chance and just walked in and we didn't have any difficulty getting a table. I'm not a bit sushi fan and ordered a teriyaki chicken dinner and my colleague ordered a set sushi dish. My colleague was quite surprised when the soy sauce arrived with a brush in it as opposed to the usual bottle. He was quite impressed as he had read somewhere the right way to apply soy sauce to sushi is with a brush as you don't want to simply dunk the rice in the soy sauce and drown out the flavors of the fish. Apparently only the traditional places still provide the brush. Neither of us left hungry and dinner for two (without drinks) taxes, tip all in was about $65. It was so good we went back a couple of nights later.

The food was

• Visited November 2012
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food

“Great sushi!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 24, 2012

Simply the best sushi we had in NY. We were looking for a sushi restaurant while walking with TripAdvisor's suggestions. Eventually found. Really nice place. Nice service. Rose sparkling sake made our evening.

Visited June 2012
New York City, New York
“Easy to overlook, but good food”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 11, 2011

Tsushima is located on a block with 3 or 4 other Japanese places, so it's easy to walk right past it, but if you go in, you may be pleasantly surprised. We first went here on a recommendation, and have now been twice. Both times were really good.
On our most recent visit, we were a party of 4, no reservation. It was a Wednesday night, not crowded, and we were seated immediately. We started with some unusual appetizers; something called "tomato carpaccio," which turned out to be slices of fresh tomato with some oil and garlic. It was the most garlic I think I've ever had in a Japanese restaurant, but that's OK; I love garlic. Also, some octopus and cucumber that was really nice.
For dinners, we all got sushi combo's from the regular menu. The miso soup was flavorful, and the green salad was a lot better than any of us expected: mixed baby greens and a tangy dressing. The fish in our sushi was all really fresh, and we all really liked it.

• Visited May 2011