“Add a Shrimp for $3.95!!” 2 of 5 stars

Website
Menu
Improve this listing
Reserve with OpenTable
Ed's Chowder House is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #2,050 of 11,776 Restaurants in New York City
Cuisines: Seafood
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Reservations, Late Night
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: Broadway
Transit: A,C,E or 1 to 59th street/Columbus Circle, or 1 to 66th street/Lincoln Center Station
New York City, New York
“Add a Shrimp for $3.95!!”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 29, 2013

To your $14.00 Bloody Mary! Whooee. Perfect for folks looking to blow some cash in a gorgeous room with a bunch of yahoos and staff right out of some VERY hip tv show. The chowder which others have already moaned about was excellent if over-priced potato soup was your goal! Two
drinks, 12 oysters (beautifully presented!) and two bowls of soup: $140.00. Suggestion, try around
the corner at Rosa Mexicana OR across Broadway at the Atlantic Grill and leave Ed's to the expense account folks staying at the Empire Hotel!

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 2 of 5 stars Food

Cape Town Central, South Africa
“Pre show dinner”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 9, 2013

A good place to eat before a show. As time was limited only had one course, which was fish. This was excellent. Will be back to try the chowder.

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Peterborough
“Great service and great food”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 8, 2013 via mobile

We were staying at the Empire so decided that we would give the linked restaurant a try one evening.
The menu is very extensive so we thought we would limit our choices by taking the fixed price menu - $45 each so pretty good value as well.
I had the chowder (well it seemed appropriate), the cod and the cookies, all very tasty and manageable portions.
The setting is very stylish and, being busy, the atmosphere was great too.
Generally the service was exceptionally good except that we did feel as though we were being rushed
We drank the "Grapes of Roth" wine which is produced in Long Island. It's surprisingly difficult to get decent local wine in New York but this one was very successful.

Visited May 2013
New York City, New York
“"Ed's Chowder House" - Empire Hotel. Loved It-”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 7, 2013

First of the Chowder was just what we were craving one night. The New Engand was really good--absolutely over-priced though. Yes, to be expected of a restaurant located in the Empire Hotel, of course! My only complaint was of the lack of "stuff" in my chowder!! You all know the Stuff deal...

Later that evening, by the Bar- We'd all gotten over it by discovering Ed's fantastic Coktails + some of the freshest and tastiest Raw Bar ever--especially after having my 2nd or 3rd "Kill Devil Smash" Cocktail (the brazillian was great also).

Well to cut it short: The evening turned out to be a surprisingly pleasent one after all. Absolutely recommended- An atmosphere that many others would want to come back to - Over all great service provided by a truly excellent staff, that were very friendly & totally profesional.

-Jeff

• Visited April 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
Virginia
“Eggs Benedict flop”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 5, 2013

We stayed at the Empire hotel this past weekend. Before our drive, we decided to have some breakfast at Ed's chowder house. I ordered the egg's Benedict with crab. There was hardly any hollandaise sauce and the first egg was poached a little more than I liked. It was hardly runny. The second egg was way over done. My wife said i should take it back. I flagged someone down and they asked if I wanted anything else. I said no. I hardly ate my breakfast and had to take it back. And we needed to be on the road. i didn't have the luxary of waiting around so they could perfect my dish. The nerve of the wait staff to actually charge me for the $30 dish! I had to go and flag him down again and he said he took the coffee off. I asked, how much was that? $5??? Are you kidding me? I said, put the charge of the coffee back and at least take off half price of the dish I didn't eat. Ultimately, he charged me $12. A few potatoes and one soft boiled egg is what i consumed. So for 2 people, 18% gratuity is automatically added. I guess the waiter really wanted his tip on my dish that was sent back. I still left 20% on top of that regardless. I am, still kind of pissed about the whole thing. I mentioned to the front desk at check out that everything was great but the breakfast. They said they were sorry about that. I never sent anything back before or had to argue with a bill. It put me in an uncomfortable situation. I will not eat there again.

• 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere