“Wish I stayed more than one night” 4 of 5 stars
Review of The Court - A St Giles Premier Hotel

You added The Court - A St Giles Premier Hotel to your Saves list
The Court - A St Giles Premier Hotel
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   130 East 39th Street, New York City, NY 10016 (Manhattan)   |
Hotel deals
Ranked #248 of 459 Hotels in New York City
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
“Wish I stayed more than one night”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 24, 2012

I stayed one night in this hotel and I quite enjoyed myself. I had a nice view of the Empire State Building colors (although it was a bit foggy/rainy the night I stayed). When I checked in, I was upgraded to a larger room at no extra cost. I rather liked the retro feel of the room. The radio was old school. Not an iPod dock or anything. A retro styled radio with an alarm and a clock with hands...not digital. I liked that, but I'm an old soul at heart. I happened to turn on a jazz station and let it play while I relaxed. I think the jazz added to the retro feel of the room. The TV is not retro (it's HD) and you do have all the other amenities such as mini-bar, in-room safe, hair dryer, plenty of towels, soaps, shampoos, etc...

My room was far enough from the elevator bank that it was quiet at night. Yes, there are small things that can be touched up. For instance, a little extra paint could be applied here and there to the window areas and the window treatments could be updated. However, I like a pitch-black room when I sleep and the current window treatments provided that. So I consider that functional and fine. For the price, I don't care if the shades are not brand spanking new, as long as they are not dirty and in disrepair. If they are clean, do the job, and don't malfunction, they pass my test.

The staff was very helpful and kind. I am a firm believer that staff can make or break a hotel. During check-in and check-out both members of the staff were polite and not rushed. St. Giles is a very nice, stable, clean, comfortable hotel with a great staff. There are diners and bodegas nearby for any snacking or food needs. Also you are within walking distance to Grand Central Station, which gives you access to many trains and subways. Also, if I'm not mistaken, there are a few airport bus lines that stop in that area as well (however you may want to research that to be sure).

I would definitely consider staying here again when I am in town for business. Perhaps more than one night this time.

Room Tip: Don't reserve on a travel site. Reserve through the hotel site directly. I don't know this...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (269)
Montreal, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 24, 2012

This hotel is about 2 blocks from Grand Central Station, probably the most convenient transport connection in town, where all trains and subways converge. My room was surprisingly spacious for central Manhattan, and very clean and comfortable. The matress was new and firm. The TV worked. The bathroom features were shiny new and fully functional. The carpeting and curtains were just slightly worn, but that didn't bother me in the least. The staff were pleasant and helpful. I had a great view of the Chrysler Tower from my window.

Room Tip: Ask for a view of the Chrysler Tower.
Rastatt
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 23, 2012

we've been room 1220 and the lift bing bing we heard the whole night. The Empire state building was close, but not really good to see, the room was in a corner with a very bad view. All furnitures are a bit oldish and there is no coffee/ tea-maker in a 4 start hotel, this was very much surprising me. Better not to start the air-condition, it is so incredibly loud. The placement of the hotel is ok, close to the Grand Central station, all common transport in direct neighbour-ship.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Leicester, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 22, 2012

If you are looking for a reasonably priced, spacious New York hotel then definitely consider St Giles on East 39th street. We booked a junior suite and we were upgraded , it is hard to imagine where you would get so much space so centrally without paying a ridiculous amount.
A large sitting room with sofa (bed sofa) and bedroom with fab view of the Chrysler building , flat tv's in both rooms plus free wifi . Bed and pillows were very comfy and clean
Decor is a little tired but with what we saved with the free wifi and included breakfast we bought tickets for a show on Broadway.
Only negative , no tea making in the room.
Staff are very friendly and helpful.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
Here
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 22, 2012

I have stayed here in the past since the hotel is so close to Grand Central Station. It is easy to get anywhere in Manhattan due to the subway. This year we chose to stay here on our honeymoon. Maria checked us in and upgraded us once she found out we had just gotten married. All of the staff have always been wonderful and quick to help out with recommendations and directions. It is a great hotel for the price. You won't be disappointed.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Prairieville, Louisiana
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 19, 2012

I only stayed in this hotel for one night on a recent business trip to NYC. I was pleasantly surprised with the size of the room I was booked in. The closest subway stop is Grand Central which is about a 3-4 block walk. This hotel is in a residential area, so it can be tough to find food late in the evening. I couldn't find a close pizza joint open to grab a slice after a long walk in the city. However, there is a wonderful diner just steps away from the hotel that serves a GREAT breakfast. That diner is also about half the price of the hotels breakfast menu. If you are looking for something that is off the beaten path (which is what gives you a quiet night sleep, gives you some space, and is modern and fresh... look no further than this hotel.

Room Tip: Midtown tunnel is within a close distance as well... easy to make a taxi to LGA cheaper.
St. Louis, MO
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 15, 2012

Great little hotel. Room with terrace very neat and clean. Bed and linens - excellent. View of the Chrysler building was very cool! Close to Grand Central Station. Kind of liked it because it was a little off the "beaten path". Hotel staff very nice and accommodating. Dominique - you were very kind over the phone and thanks for the apparent upgrade. It made my girlfriend's birthday just that much more special. We come to NYC every year and are definitely staying here again. Price was reasonable too.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to The Court - A St Giles Premier Hotel? Share your experiences!