“Good hotel in a good location” 4 of 5 stars
Review of The Court - A St Giles Premier Hotel

You added The Court - A St Giles Premier Hotel to your Saves list
The Court - A St Giles Premier Hotel
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   130 East 39th Street, New York City, NY 10016 (Manhattan)   |
Hotel deals
Ranked #248 of 459 Hotels in New York City
Travelers Rest, South Carolina
“Good hotel in a good location”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 21, 2012

The St. Giles was a find! Within easy walking distance of Grand Central Station, the hotel is near a plentiful supply of good restaurants, public transportation and noteworthy sites. The room was - for New York - good sized and comfortable. I have been in four-stars with oversized closets for rooms and, by comparison, this was huge. The staff was nice and very responsive to every need. Wi-fi is free. It is worth a stop.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (269)
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 21, 2012

We stayed in NYC for 3 nights as the final stop of a 2 week roadtrip. As this wasn't our first visit to NYC we decided to opt for less mainstream hotels and in the main this hotel doesn't disappoint.

We arrived via Penn Station and hailed a cab. My first note to anyone using a yellow cab to take them to this hotel is have the full address ready, as despite there being only one St Giles Hotel in NYC, our taxi driver wasn't familiar with it and much diving about in our hand luggage ensued to dig out the paperwork with the address. Possibly naviety on our part...but wanted to share this with our fellow travellers.

So onto the hotel. Its a boutique hotel and looks very nice when you enter. Modern entrance lobby, with its own bar through a door on the left (which we didn't have time to use during our brief visit). Check-in process was simple and handled by efficient, friendly staff. I'd had a parcel forwarded to me from an earlier stop and this was ready and waiting for me. We took the lift to our 6th floor room at the front of the hotel. The room itself is a decent size for NYC, with decent storage space, safe, A/C and en-suite bathroom. The decor is modern with nice linens and plenty of towels although on this point, we were disappointed that they are bath towels rather than bath sheets so not very generous when trying to wrap yourself in it (and neither my partner or I are overly large!). Complimentary toiletries were pleasant and the bathroom was of an adequate size. However, the bathroom door would not shut properly and you had to really pull it to with some force to get it to close. Also the A/C was extremely noisy, so noisy in fact we turned it off over night. Not too much of a problem for an early October visit, but would be a concern any summer visits.
We had a good nights sleep (once the A/C was turned off) and the bed was comfortable....but we were rudely awakened at 7:50am by the construction team starting work across the street (we hadn't noticed that on arrival as we arrived in the dark). Although we only had another 2 nights stay, we decided to request a room change. This was handled without issue but obviously was a minor inconvenience to us as we had to pack up our stuff and take our luggage down to the luggage holding area as a new room wouldn't be available until the afternoon.
The second room, was at the rear of the building on the 7th floor, again all amenities, but with a smaller bathroom, but the door on this one didn't stick. The A/C was still noisy so again we turned it off over night; not sure if we were just unfortunate in this respect or whether its a wider issue with the A/C units installed. A great nights sleep and this time no rude awakening! Plus we also had a view of the Empire State Building.
The hotel is happy to store your luggage for you if you aren't leaving the city until the evening.

All in all, I would recommend this hotel and if there were an option for a 3.5 rating I would have used it as my experience would rate this above average but not quite very good.

Room Tip: Rooms at the rear of the hotel are quieter
St Paul
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 20, 2012

We LOVED the St. Giles- the Court. Our suite was stylish, spacious, clean, and reasonably priced. The decor was very modern and attractive throughout the hotel and our suite had beautiful brown and red velvet couches and chairs with throw pillows. We also had a table and chairs, 2 large flat screen TVs, and a walk-in closet. The king bed was the most comfortable hotel bed imaginable, and the bathroom was very large with high quality fixtures. We faced the courtyard with a view of the Empire State, and our room was exceptionally quiet. The trendy Court Bar and lovely breakfast cafe Icon both adjoin the lobby. The staff was great, especially Blanca who made sure our wedding anniversary was extra-special. The Murray Hill location is excellent with Grand Central just 3 blocks away and many good, affordable little restaurants in the neighborhood. The St. Giles is now our favorite New York hotel. We will be back!

Burbank, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 18, 2012

St. Giles excels in service and comfort. What could be better? It is close to Grand Central Station and much else. Maria--at the front desk--deserves special mention. She soothed me after a taxi problem!

Room Tip: I didn't choose--but got a wonderful room overlooking roof gardens. It was cool and quiet.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
Del Mar, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 18, 2012

The staff made a great impression on me when I first checked in. Very nice and very helpful. They upgraded my room for free when I told them I was in city to surprise my girlfriend after a deployment overseas. The room was incredible and bigger than most apartments I've been in. I couldn't have asked for more and the price was more than reasonable. Overall a great experience and I will specifically try to stay here on upcoming visits to NYC. There was some construction and there was some noise, as noted by jdr27 in his review, but that's New York City.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 13, 2012

I stayed at the St Giles Court for only one night and two days in New York after visiting friends in New Jersey State. I thought that I'd take in some of the amazing sights in Manhattan.
The Internet price that I got was good but it was the location that decided it for me. Just a couple of blocks South of Grand Central Terminal.
The room was compact but very comfortable with all that I could ask for by way of amenities. A really nice bathroom and shower was all that I hope for.
I enjoyed a really comfortable night's sleep - no problems with noise of any sorts and the staff were very courteous and friendly; I was glad that I chose this hotel and it served as a great base to explore Manhattan from. I did not eat n, but why would you want to with so many great places to eat a short walk, close by.
Maybe I was lucky, but I had a great stay in a nice, clean, well-appointed room; I'd recommend it on location alone.

• Stayed November 2011, traveled solo
Ithaca, New York, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 11, 2012

at check in they gave us a complimentary upgrade to a suite, it was great! so much space, maybe even too much for just two of us... haha i'm not complaining! the room was clean, pretty simple decor perhaps doesn't look as luxurious as some other hotel rooms. The bathroom was rather small for such a big suite, it was clean and simple, love the philosophy products! Location of the hotel is okay, pretty quite part of town, walking distance to grand central. The staff are helpful and friendly :) and the bar was full of people at night!

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to The Court - A St Giles Premier Hotel? Share your experiences!