“Clean but tired” 3 of 5 stars
Review of The Court - A St Giles Premier Hotel

Save Saved
You added The Court - A St Giles Premier Hotel to your Saves list
The Court - A St Giles Premier Hotel
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   130 East 39th Street, New York City, NY 10016 (Manhattan)   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Book Direct & Save
Ranked #223 of 449 hotels in New York City
Canberra, Australia
“Clean but tired”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 15, 2011

Maybe I was spoiled by a) having stayed at a lovely hote in DC immediately prior to my arrival in NYC and b) never having stayed in any hotel in New York, but my impression of the St Giles - The Court was of an old hotel that has been tarted up with a flash lobby and dance music in the lifts. The rooms were fine (clean and tidy) and the beds were comfortable. However the fittings were cheap and the rooms old. A couple of coats of paint won't hide that. The staff were mostly surly (except for the happy cleaners) and the adjoining bar was dark to the point of ridiculous and the breakfast cafe was only okay. You'd be better off heading to one of the local diners (which is what I did on two out of thre three days).

Room Tip: As you come of out of the lift, the rooms to the left have views of the Chrysler Building and some a...
  • Stayed September 2011, traveled on business

1,075 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (233)
Oslo, Norway
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 12, 2011

We booked the hotel through Hotwire and paid 250 $ a night, which is a reasonable price, considering the standard of the hotel and its location (39th and Lexington). It's close to Grand Central and within walking distance of the Empire State Building.

Hotwire has given St. Giles the Court four stars, which in one way is correct, because it has the amenities of a four star hotel (room service, mini-bar, concierge, fitness center etc). In several ways however, the hotel appears as a three star hotel (small and dark lobby, somewhat worn rooms and informal service).

Anyway, the hotel is a great choice for those seeking a good and reasonably priced hotel in a central location.

• Stayed May 2011, traveled as a couple
Charlotte, North Carolina
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 12, 2011

I stayed at the St Giles Court in early September because it was the cheapest ($450 a night) room I could find around Grand Central. My previous stays had at been uneventful and unimpressive but this trip was signifiantly better. I stayed in room 719, which was not nearly as cramped as the smaller, basic rooms.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled on business
United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 6, 2011

We had a wonderful stay at the St. Giles- The Court. The hotel is an easy walk from Grand Central, which provides subway access to all areas of the city.

Check-in was fast and easy. We arrived at the hotel about 11:00 a.m. and were able to get right into our room. Another nice touch was that the clerk at the front desk asked us if we wanted a room with a view or a room that was quiet. She mentioned that the rooms with views are near the street and there is oftentimes noise. We chose a quiet room since we were going to be seeing plenty of the city and didn’t need a good view.

The room was a pretty decent size. We had a king size bed and had enough room to maneuver without falling over one another. The bathroom was quite spacious, making it easy to get ready each day. The air conditioner is not necessarily noisy, but it does seem to always run. It didn’t cause any disruption to our sleep. The bed was comfortable and we slept well.

We had breakfast in the restaurant on our last morning and the pancakes were probably about the best I’ve had. We had drinks one night in the Lex Bar and I was impressed that it attracted a local crowd, instead of just guests at the hotel.

Overall, the hotel delivered on service and quality. It deserves 5 stars.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple
Dundalk, Ireland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 6, 2011

Stayed here for four nights with husband and son. Had one bedroomed suite which was very spacious. No problems with cleanliness and I thought the bathroom was adequate. Bed was very comfortable, however, they didn't make up the sofa bed in the livingroom and we had to ring down looking for bed linen. The lobby area was very small and impersonal it didn't encourage you to linger. The main problem for us was that you are not in the centre of things, we had trouble finding somewhere to eat one night at about 10pm, I feel this wouldn't have happened near Time Square. Having said that, our room was very quiet so that was a bonus. Scottys Diner nearby was brilliant for an authentic american breakfast.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled with family
Letterkenny, Ireland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 27, 2011

Love this hotel....staff were so helpful and friendly, couldnt have asked for more! Great location and rooms are lovely and spacious and very clean..the beds and pillows in this place are lush!! Guys at the door are soooo nice and helpful! Def coming back here soon!!

• Stayed August 2011, traveled with friends
London, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 27, 2011

I spent many hours researching hotels in New York to find a great four star hotel that was in a good location but reasonably priced, it wasn't an easy feat but thought I had found it in the St. Giles. However, I was left thinking it was "just alright" but nothing to write home about, although I am writing to Trip Advisors about it!

I agree with a lot of the reviewers here that it is looking a little tired, expecially the bathrooms. I normally don't pick a hotel if I can't see a photo of the bathroom as I am quite particular about the style but because the bedrooms looked like they fulfilled the boutique look I prefer and the reviews were on the whole positive I took a punt. Whilst the bathrooms were clean, I cannot fault them on that, they definitely need updating and the drainage was very poor. Every time I had a shower I found myself ankle deep in water and it took a long time for the water to drain away after I had finished with it. The bath also has a shower curtain, something I hate and I think by 2011 baths with showers should certainly have a shower screen or even just do away with the bath and have a walk in shower instead; the curtain was at least clean.

The bedroom was a good size, bed slightly larger than a King and comfy. The room also had a sofa and large table (not sure if that is standard or not but we booked a standard room). There was a mini bar that was good for chilling our water and duty free wine. The maid service was very good though.

The air conditioning was effective but noisy so a good tip is to leave it on whilst you are out of the room to keep it cool and then turn it off when you are asleep. We were on a floor that was quite high up so no complaints about the traffic, so can't comment on the level of noise lower down and we could see the Empire State Building from our window.

The staff were friendly, although we didn't need to bother them too much. The concierge was helpful and booked a trip for us without any problems, although she neglected to tell us what time we had to turn up at the location, luckily the British way of turning up early paid off or we would have missed it!

The communal areas were a little dark which wouldn't have been a problem had the decor not also needed a facelift, the dimmed lights couldn't hide that.

As for wifi, no there isn't any but that really wasn't an issue for me as I liked having a break from the internet for a week.

Overall the hotel is ok but I would say more of a 3* than a 4*, if you go with that attitude then I don't think you will be disappointed. Good location.

Room Tip: Maybe ask for a room higher up to limit traffic noise.
  • Stayed August 2011, traveled as a couple

Been to The Court - A St Giles Premier Hotel? Share your experiences!