“great hotel, but away from the action” 4 of 5 stars
Review of The Court - A St Giles Premier Hotel

Save Saved
You added The Court - A St Giles Premier Hotel to your Saves list
The Court - A St Giles Premier Hotel
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   130 East 39th Street, New York City, NY 10016 (Manhattan)   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Book Direct & Save
Ranked #223 of 449 hotels in New York City
Dundalk, Ireland
“great hotel, but away from the action”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 6, 2011

Stayed here for four nights with husband and son. Had one bedroomed suite which was very spacious. No problems with cleanliness and I thought the bathroom was adequate. Bed was very comfortable, however, they didn't make up the sofa bed in the livingroom and we had to ring down looking for bed linen. The lobby area was very small and impersonal it didn't encourage you to linger. The main problem for us was that you are not in the centre of things, we had trouble finding somewhere to eat one night at about 10pm, I feel this wouldn't have happened near Time Square. Having said that, our room was very quiet so that was a bonus. Scottys Diner nearby was brilliant for an authentic american breakfast.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled with family

1,078 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (233)
Letterkenny, Ireland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 27, 2011

Love this hotel....staff were so helpful and friendly, couldnt have asked for more! Great location and rooms are lovely and spacious and very clean..the beds and pillows in this place are lush!! Guys at the door are soooo nice and helpful! Def coming back here soon!!

• Stayed August 2011, traveled with friends
London, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 27, 2011

I spent many hours researching hotels in New York to find a great four star hotel that was in a good location but reasonably priced, it wasn't an easy feat but thought I had found it in the St. Giles. However, I was left thinking it was "just alright" but nothing to write home about, although I am writing to Trip Advisors about it!

I agree with a lot of the reviewers here that it is looking a little tired, expecially the bathrooms. I normally don't pick a hotel if I can't see a photo of the bathroom as I am quite particular about the style but because the bedrooms looked like they fulfilled the boutique look I prefer and the reviews were on the whole positive I took a punt. Whilst the bathrooms were clean, I cannot fault them on that, they definitely need updating and the drainage was very poor. Every time I had a shower I found myself ankle deep in water and it took a long time for the water to drain away after I had finished with it. The bath also has a shower curtain, something I hate and I think by 2011 baths with showers should certainly have a shower screen or even just do away with the bath and have a walk in shower instead; the curtain was at least clean.

The bedroom was a good size, bed slightly larger than a King and comfy. The room also had a sofa and large table (not sure if that is standard or not but we booked a standard room). There was a mini bar that was good for chilling our water and duty free wine. The maid service was very good though.

The air conditioning was effective but noisy so a good tip is to leave it on whilst you are out of the room to keep it cool and then turn it off when you are asleep. We were on a floor that was quite high up so no complaints about the traffic, so can't comment on the level of noise lower down and we could see the Empire State Building from our window.

The staff were friendly, although we didn't need to bother them too much. The concierge was helpful and booked a trip for us without any problems, although she neglected to tell us what time we had to turn up at the location, luckily the British way of turning up early paid off or we would have missed it!

The communal areas were a little dark which wouldn't have been a problem had the decor not also needed a facelift, the dimmed lights couldn't hide that.

As for wifi, no there isn't any but that really wasn't an issue for me as I liked having a break from the internet for a week.

Overall the hotel is ok but I would say more of a 3* than a 4*, if you go with that attitude then I don't think you will be disappointed. Good location.

Room Tip: Maybe ask for a room higher up to limit traffic noise.
brockton, ma
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 24, 2011

A hip hotel at an affordable price in a terrific Manhattan location. I travel a lot and rarely find a bed that meets my standards. This king size bed had a fantastic mattress, nice pillows and luxurious sheets. Size of room was impressive. I was disappointed my bathroom only had a shower - and the seal around the door needed fixing - as I would have a mini flood after every use. Doorman was great. Concierge, unfortunately, couldn't give us direction. Not quite sure why they can't jump onto Mapquest and print out directions. Price of internet was high and there is no comfortable lobby space to sit for any considerable amount of time to use wifi. There was also no desk in the room. Bar/Lounge was a happening place at night! Overall very happy.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled on business
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 18, 2011

We stayed from the 10-13th August. Booked this based on the web reviews and thought the pics looked quite modern. To be honest, this exceeded my expectations. We stayed in one of the suites, the lounge room was huge and all amenities very modern. The king sized bed was one of the best beds we have slept on and the pillows were like clouds. Thought the location was quite good, as walking distance to Grand Central and not that far to Times Square. We were checked in by Danny, who was fantastic and also found the concierge (dont know her name), to be very helpful. I would def stay here again and will recommend this to friends.

Bangkok
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 17, 2011

We asked for a quiet room but I wouldn't consider what we got as being 'quiet'. The aircon was very noisy, even when switched off! The room was big, the bed was comfy and the bathroom was ok but the bath had drainage issues. The bathroom amenities were never replaced and some days we got no bath mat and a few towels, other days a bath mat and lots of towels. There is a $15 per day charge for wi-fi which is ridiculous in this day and age, although there is free wi-fi available in the teeny tiny lobby (or the nearby Starbucks). The mini bar and room service prices were outrageous and no complimentary water was provided. Tea and coffee making facilities were also absent. With a few small touches, such as water, tea/coffee and free wi-fi, this hotel would be more tolerable.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled as a couple
Silver Spring, Maryland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 14, 2011

Nice size room. Very conveniently located. No bedbugs!!! Which makes the experience that much better. Would most definitely go back.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled as a couple

Been to The Court - A St Giles Premier Hotel? Share your experiences!