“They can improve more” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Hyatt Herald Square New York

You added Hyatt Herald Square New York to your Saves list
Hyatt Herald Square New York
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   30-32 West 31st Street, New York City, NY 10001 (Formerly Holiday Inn Midtown West 31st Street) (Midtown)   |
Hotel deals
Offers & Announcements
Double Your Points
Ranked #277 of 457 Hotels in New York City
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Columbus, Ohio
“They can improve more”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 days ago NEW

Allright, so this is my first visit to NYC after living in the US for 5 years.
Rooms: Pretty Small in general, but I cannot compare to other hotels in Manhattan since this is my first visit.
Locations: Very good, just 1 or 2 block away from Subway Station. Also just 1 street away from Korean Town in case you are hungry.
Customer Service: Very nice and kind. They also gave me a late checkout up to 2pm as a compliment becoming a platinum status.
Design: Boutique style
Other: The only reason why they cannot make it 4/5 is because they turn off the left elevator and all the guest and housekeeper use the same elevator. There are 19 floors I believe, and 1 elevator in 1 building is insane, we have to wait pretty long to get up and down. Ohh, I forgot to mention that the wall is pretty thin that I can hear people talking at the room next door.

• Stayed February 2015, traveled with friends
Ashley M, Manager at Hyatt Herald Square New York, responded to this review, yesterday
Dear mrthany,

We agree! There is always room for improvement and we appreciate your feedback for ways in which we can do just that! We are happy to read that you enjoyed your stay and hope you will return so that you can see all of the ways we are striving to improve every day, for every guest. We look forward to being able to see you again soon!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (13)
New Orleans, Louisiana
3 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 days ago NEW

First of all, this hotel is great value for New York especially for the specific location of the hotel. For what I paid for it, I'm happy and highly recommend this hotel for the location and value. However, a few things could have been better and that's what I'm going to talk about.

First of all the rooms: The rooms are tiny. Let's get that out of the way. They are really small. If there's only 1 person in the room, it's fine though but I can see how it could feel extra tight for two people unless they were really close and not prone to bickering. But the rooms are what they are- they are city small and there's nothing to be done about that. They are perfectly clean and well-designed with dark wood floors and everything in its place. There are quite a few sharp corners and edges on the furniture so if you're clumsy (like me), you may need to keep that in check whilst you stay here. There's not A LOT of storage space for clothes etc so if you are planning a longer stay, keep in mind that there's not a lot of space to hang up clothes or unpack and put them away so you will be living out of your suitcase, which will be in a prominent place in your room because there's not a lot of space to stow it away. If like me, you're staying less than a week, then the storage space is definitely workable and alright. The bathrooms were clean and bright and nice and provided EVERY amenity up to toothpaste, Q-tips, cotton wool and makeup wipes and they have a list where you can request other things you may have forgotten. The toiletries are also quite nice and smell lovely! There is free internet throughout the hotel for unlimited devices which is great for keeping in touch with the office and home. The wifi speed is good and the quality is okay given that it's free- it dropped a few times for a few seconds but overall it was reliable and a nice feature in a city where free hotel Internet is not a given.

The lobby was lovely and had a familial type atmosphere which encouraged people to sit around with a coffee reading a newspaper. It was nice. It's small and cozy though so on weekends you may need to get lucky to grab a spot on the sofa before the checked out guests waiting for their rides to the airport get all the spaces. I enjoyed the lobby area and had a couple of casual business meetings there with colleagues.

The staff (particularly in the front desk and the restaurant) was for the most part, exceptional. Very friendly and seemed to know and remember all the guests staying there by name or at least face. I had an awkward encounter with a somewhat flippant lady at the front desk once but maybe she was overwhelmed or something at the time. Anyway, overall the staff were great. My only add in would be that they all seemed very young (I'm under 30 so I'm not being ageist) and like they would do well with a bit more supervision from someone more experienced. Sometimes because it seemed like the whole hotel was being run by young people, their vibe was more college dorm RA than luxury hotel front staff. I think the perfect balance of exuberant friendliness and professional front desk staff hasn't been struck yet and it's not a bad thing, I didnt mind- but I would probably be wary about recommending this hotel to someone out of my age group like my boss or my parents or people who may like a more formal experience. This isn't a criticism. There's nothing wrong with the down home, friendly, youthful vibe, it's just something to note as a matter of taste.

The food was quite nice. The menu isn't the largest in the world but everything I tasted was lovely. It is certainly worth it to get the bed and breakfast rate from their website IF you are trying to save money and are going to be in a rush in the morning and may not have time to explore NyC's breakfast options in the mornings. There is no buffet but how it works is that you're allowed to order whatever you like off the breakfast menu unlimited. I can't think how that makes economic sense for them but I'm not in the hospitality business so what do I know other than that the breakfast is well prepared and exceedingly yummy. I also had dinner a couple of times and it was quite nice as well.

My main issue about this hotel were the things that didn't work whilst I was here. The hotel said that their cable TV was down and therefore they didn't have any of the basic network channels except CBS. So there was no NBC, no ABC (which meant no Oscars), no E! (which meant no Oscars red carpet), in fact there were very few channels available to watch on the cold New York nights that kept me in. I mean thank goodness I'm a huge fan in the Food Network because it was one of the only things available to watch whilst I was here. Another thing that didn't work whilst I was here was one elevator. There are 2 elevators for this 19-story hotel which whilst not amazingly optimal if the hotel is at full capacity, would be okay at a pinch. However, only one of the lifts was working. So imagine a full capacity hotel at the weekend in NYC with one working elevator!!!! The waits were interminable. Housekeeping also use these elevators to do their work and room checks and so sometimes after waiting 5+ minutes for an elevator, when you finally get an elevator, you're stopping on every floor. The one elevator wasn't so bad during the week at unpopular times of day (afternoons) but it was IMPOSSIBLE at the weekend. Long waits and full to the brim of people. That second lift needs to be sorted out ASAP. I sometimes gave up and walked down from the teenage floors to the lobby.

A final thing that could be better is the picking up of plates and trays by room service. It often took over 12 hours for room service to pick plates up from outside guest rooms. Someone in a room near mine often had breakfast room service and I know this because their plates were left outside their room till the following morning on one occasion and this was even after housekeeping came through the floor and cleaned the rooms. The plates being left outside rooms for wayyyy too long was a common occurrence that I don't think should be acceptable. Particularly not if housekeeping has been through a floor. I was tempted to pick the tray up and take it down because it's not nice to see. The hotel is small enough that there should be some degree of follow up on room service trays and/or staff passing by should do something about the trays and plates left outside rooms.

I was torn between giving this hotel a 3 or 4 star rating. It has a lot going for it- the location, the wonderfully friendly and exuberant staff, the design and familial style, the great value, it's clean and quite nice really. However, it does have some teething issues that I described above that made me re-evaluate how to rate my experience of it. If these little issues hadn't existed during my stay, I'd be happy to give this hotel a solid 4 star rating but it's more a 3 or 3.5 experience. However for the value I got (paid under $200/nt) in the neighborhood I was in, this is a 5-star property.

Dear SienaMcN,

What detailed and helpful commentary! Thank you for taking the time to share your experiences with the Trip Advisor community! We sincerely appreciate all of your feedback and are working hard to continuously improve for each new guest. We hope you will return so that you can see all of the changes that your commentary has inspired and enjoy the Hyatt experience. We hope to see you again soon!
Buda, Texas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 days ago NEW

I'd definitely stay at the Hyatt Herald Square (HHS) again, mainly because of its convenience. In addition to what I stated in the title of this review, it's 2 blocks to the subway. I was able to make it from my room, to the subway, to Brooklyn in 25 minutes. Easy.

There is a restaurant at HHS, but I only ate there for breakfast. It was good, but Speedy's is less than 2 blocks away and a tremendous value.

My only beef with the HHS was the elevators. There are 2. One of them was out of service for 3 out of the 4 days of my stay. There was absolutely NO communication from management 1) to warn about this outage nor 2) to explain why it was necessary. None. I find that inexcusable, and certainly not indicative of Hyatt service overall.

The situation with the elevators notwithstanding, I found the HHS to be a great value, all things considered. (Did I mention its location?) Room comfort was adequate, though far from outstanding. There is a small "desk area" (I can't call it a "desk") that I was able to use for my laptop, but had to sit on an ottoman. There's another desk on the opposite side of the room that served no useful purpose. It's too low to the ground to sit at. Channel choice on the TV was poor; even most local channels didn't come in. Wi-fi in my room (1408) was unreliable, so I used my tethered iPhone mostly, which worked great. Maid service is not daily, but they will provide daily service upon request. I found room 1408 to be quiet, both from street noise, and elevator noise. That was surprising, actually, due to the relative location of the rooms to the elevators. There are 8 rooms per floor, with none of them being "away" from the elevator.

Dear afwings,

Thank you for taking the time to review our property. I'm delighted to read that you enjoyed your stay and our location - we think it's pretty grand as well! Our elevators are 100% back in action and I apologize that they were not operational during your stay - they have undergone a major facelift and are waiting for you on your return visit! We look forward to welcoming you back again soon - safe travels!
New York
3 of 5 stars Reviewed 6 days ago NEW

Real nice rooms Great location Most limed TV channel selection ever experienced Accommodations for early check-in in should be considered whenever possible Location of hotel made it all worth the annoyances.

Review collected in partnership with Hyatt Hotels

Brighton, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago

We booked the same day through expedia as due to the adverse weather conditions are flight was delayed 24 hours.

I could not have asked for a better hotel! First night of what was officially our honeymoon. They upgraded up and comped a bottle of wine. Room was immaculate, all very modern cons.

Location is perfect, staff are exceptional! Shower is the best!

Topped off with a 10th floor direct view of the ESB.

I would stay here again in a heartbeat!

Stayed February 2015, traveled as a couple
Ashley M, Manager at Hyatt Herald Square New York, responded to this review, 2 days ago
Dear NotAllWhoWander80,

We are so happy we got to be a part of such a special time in your life and are delighted that you enjoyed your stay! We hope to become your home away from home and to be a memorable part of your future stays in Manhattan - we can't wait to welcome you back!
Chicago, Illinois
2 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago

The rooms are ridiculously small and dark, even by New York standards. There is no desk, only a half-table that holds the phone. The furnishings are cheap, inspired by Ikea. In comparison to other Hyatt properties, this one is a huge disappointment to be avoided. On the plus side, the lobby looks nice and the front desk staff were courteous.

• Stayed February 2015, traveled on business
Ashley M, Manager at Hyatt Herald Square New York, responded to this review, 6 days ago
Dear Reviewer35805,

I'm very sorry to hear that you did not enjoy your stay or our guest rooms. In addition to the desks, our king rooms also have sofas with additional workspace, on your next trip please ask for such a room so that you are able to fully enjoy your experience. We do appreciate your commentary on our public space and our staff - we think they are pretty great as well! We hope you will choose to return so that you can revisit all of the amenities our property has to offer.
San Francisco
3 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago

We stayed 2 days in Hyatt Herald Square, cut short of the original 4 days booking. It is a very nice small boutique hotel with usual modern Hyatt décor, only 100 days new. Staff was helpful at check-in and provided trade show shuttle bus info printout as promised, a little surprised they did not know or anticipated such key data, there were many other guests attending the same trade show. 8 rooms per floor, small room but smartly designed, a bit tight with 2 suitcases on the floor, there was no place or rack in the room for the 1 or 2 suitcases.
Only one of the 2 elevators working, often long wait time, plus constant service staff usage to basement, became a constant hassle, not what I expected from Hyatt for $270 a night. I paid more reliable Hyatt quality, but I was disappointed. There was no notice nor apologize from the management.

Room Tip: If elevator still broken, chose lowest floor.