“Former Holiday Inn, now mistakenly branded 'HYATT'.” 2 of 5 stars
Review of Hyatt Herald Square New York

Save Saved
You added Hyatt Herald Square New York to your Saves list
Hyatt Herald Square New York
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   30-32 West 31st Street, New York City, NY 10001 (Formerly Holiday Inn Midtown West 31st Street) (Manhattan)   |
Hotel deals
Ranked #353 of 454 Hotels in New York City
Saint Louis, Missouri
“Former Holiday Inn, now mistakenly branded 'HYATT'.”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed today NEW

I checked into this former Holiday Inn last weekend. As a loyal Hyatt customer, i was looking forward to a new property. Upon arriving at the hotel, i could tell that it was not 'new'.

At check in, there were guests 'complaining'. Never a good sign.

The check in process was good, the staff was very friendly and accommodating.

I got into the elevator, and noticed that the 'new' elevator was scratched severely on all the walls. portions of the metal wall coverings were torn and pulled/ripped. Really? What a first impression. (pic attached) Awful elevator for a new hyatt hotel.

I got to my room, which was absolutely the smallest i have ever had at a Hyatt Hotel. VERY SMALL. It reminds me of the old joke ' you can sit on the bed and change the TV channel, open the window, and flush the toilet' without moving. Nice design features, innovative decor, fresh and contemporary. Nonetheless, small ..... and noisy. No real desk to work at, not a hotel for the businessman!

The main bulb over the lavatory in the bathroom was burned out. Bummer. Brand new hotel, weeks old?

I tried to use the internet, but could not connect. Tried to call the internet company, but the phone didn't get an outside line. Use my cell. Tried to call the front desk, and the phone system asked for 'my pin number'. Really? Got up...and went downstairs. I explained the problem with the internet, and was given a code to use. It was clear that this was not the first time they had a guest with this problem.

Worked for a bit, then decided to order room service. Again, the phone didn't work. Said that extension didn't exist. Aggravated, I went down to order in person. My order arrived in a timely fashion, and was great. My room service waiter was the best thing about this hotel. ORAN was wonderful! Great personality, great service. He also delivered my Diamond Amenity. Great guy.

As i was working, i looked closely at the phone. The cradle was filled with 'scum' and hair. REALLY DIRTY and gross. I have attached a pic. That made me question the cleanliness of the rest of the room. I used the slippers provided, and understood why they were there!

The floor was noisy, as i could hear doors opening...and my neighbors through the night.

The hotel is NOT your average hyatt. It appears to me that the hotel was NOT ready to open, but was pushed to do so. Service is very spotty. Remodel has rough edges. Heard lots of complaints while i was in the small lobby. There was work that needed to be done here, before the hotel opened...and it didn't happen!

Both this property and the new times square property left me wanting to stay in other hotels. They both let me down. This property would be more accurate as a Hyatt Place, but the rooms are way to small for that lower end concept. This is NOT your average Hyatt in any way!d

I was very disappointed in this hotel, and would likely never return.

• Stayed October 2014, traveled on business

Families
Haleiwa, Hawaii
3 of 5 stars Reviewed yesterday NEW

I stayed at the Hyatt Herald Square in New York. As always with Hyatt the staff went out of their way to assist and help. They were very pleasant to work with.

The rooms are small, but ok. It was impossible to call the front desk from the room phone during peak times, so I used my own cell phone. The hotel recording kept repeating the same message and when dialing zero, the same general message started again.

There is only one phone in the room located on the desk. If you are in bed or want to respond to a wake up call, you have to get up .
Since my suitcase did not arrive I asked for a toothbrush and toothpaste. The hotel had no toothbrushes but delivered toothpaste.

The remote control for the TV was to weak to change channels from the bed, you had to stand right in front of the television to do this.

The desk was very small, but had plugs for the computer and sufficient.

Main advertising point for the hotel was the rooftop garden and bar. It was closed due to construction, and no notice was disclosed to guests on the Hyatt website.
I did not notice a fusion restaurant as advertised, but an empty bar.

The lively expresso bar was only an empty counter they put an expresso machine on in the morning.
Overall the information on the hotel's website is overstating available amenities.

The beds were comfortable, what is the most important part.

Since the hotel is new I assume it will be fully operational soon.

• Stayed October 2014, traveled solo
Pensacola
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago

Stayed 3 nights at this hotel for business in town. Staff were attentive and hotel was quite modern. Trendy hotel in a trendy area with a cool rooftop bar. Rooms comfortable and although it might get quite noisy outside at times with roadwork and buildings- you will not hear a thing. Plenty of amenities in room, modern and very clean room. Amazing view from the rooftop bar. Close to everything!!!! The staff was very friendly and attentive at all times. Will definitely be come back when in town.

• Stayed October 2014, traveled on business
Candice C, General Manager at Hyatt Herald Square New York, responded to this review, 4 days ago
Dear Guest,

Am very excited that you enjoyed your experience! Many thanks for your review and we look forward to welcoming you back when your travels bring you back to NYC.

Warmly,
Candice
2 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 weeks ago via mobile

Stopped in to drop my bag at 1:30, given warm greetings by every staff member present. I was sure rooms would be ready because the the property unexpectedly opened today, one day ahead of schedule ( shown as unavailable for booking as recently as yesterday). My Diamond status was acknowledged ( top teir of Hyatt's guest rewards) and asked about room choice. "Prefer larger room over view and bed choice" ( my standard line) and after some fumbling and consulting between staff, was given key to room on 11th floor (out of 19) assured it was best room available. Key did not work so I ran to my office, leaving one bag and said I would return at 3:15 while they figure out key situation. I was greeted by name upon returning, given key to same room and told my bag had been delivered ( very gracious and professional manner) and escorted to elevator.
Standard rooms are billed as 164-185 SF and I was hard pressed to find 164 even including space lost to duct work and structural columns. Clearance is only 16 inches on one side of the bed ( I would bounce back from wall if I had a full belly), 26" on other side of KS bed, and 32 at foot of bed. A 3' stretch of plank flooring (found in most Hyatt renovation and new construction) has been installed directly on top of thin, unpadded, 70's-brown carpet ( albeit clean and little worn) which pervades from elevator lobby into each guest room. This overlay has created a lip which, although not a likely trip hazard, is a bit visually disconcerting.
Built-ins try to make most of limited space, but only one drawer ( at floor level) is as wide as a t-shirt, the other standard width drawer contains a large, Holiday Inn remnant safe, to keep wallets and wedding rings safe from working girls (lol!). Of two usable cabinets, one contains a micro fridge and the other is too high to use comfortably ( I'm 6' tall). The best features are an end table with swinging table top that reveals storage, and a cabinet which hides coffee set up, although coffee maker must be removed to reach outlet. Coats can only be hung in an open cabinet where a bathrobe is provided. Built-ins and chair appear new, but with minor scratches and scuffs, likely from transport and install.
Electrical outlets are fairly convenient. 6 different light sources, but each has its own switch with no dimmers. The overall impression is of a cheaper version of W's cozy room, still, it's a better knock-off than you will find on the sidewalks of Koreatown and Little Liberia two blocks down Broadway, lol!
Just ventured to the much touted rooftop lounge and noticed both elevator walls are badly scuffed and both had quite a bit of laundry lint on floor and one had a tangle of long human hair like you would find pulled from a brush. Rooftop is well done but a gate was unlocked and open, giving access to unguarded stairs to elevator roof, and beyond to a ladder to water tower roof. Not my concern because I neither drink nor travel with small children! 20th floor roof has veiw in both direction, but it appears north facing rooms (01-04) have total obstruction. 19th floor would look to water towers on roof across 31st. South rooms(05-08) are unobstructed above 14; below, only the 05 line (my room) has some direct veiw ( about 40%).
The standard breakfast/meal credit offered to Hyatt Diamond members was not brought up at check in, so I will try to follow up after checkout with that experience. This review must seem harsh and knit picky, but I have the highest expectations from Hyatt and while my first experience does not compare well to the other 5 Hyatts in Manhattan which have opened in as many years, even with all the kinks yet to be ironed out, I would still chose this property (at the right price) over many other major-branded hotels in the city ( frequent Hyatt guest will know what I mean) Many of my knits are things that matter very little to me, and the high staff to guest ratio, experience ( most were here with Holiday Inn, a few transferred from other Hyatts), and courtesy are more important to my satisfaction. As the kinks start to be ironed out, some of the enthusiasm and overstaffing may wane a bit.
I hope to find time to follow up tomorrow and again after my next stay ( yes, I will give it another try!)

• Stayed October 2014
Dear LPRoadRunner,

We appreciate your very candid feedback! I certainly am grateful that you took the time to provide us with comments so that we can continue to improve and work out the "kinks". I am delighted that you would still return to the hotel and hope that you do reach out to the manager on duty so we can look after you when your travels bring you back to NY.

Warmest regards,
Candice
New York, New York, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 4 weeks ago

These reviews are very strange, and certainly do not apply to the Hyatt, Herald Square. The former Holiday Inn on this site has been closed since the spring. The conversion to a Hyatt is far from complete. There is no way anyone could have stayed in this hotel in August, 2014.

Stayed September 2014, traveled solo
Bucharest, Romania
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 1, 2014

Been there in the summer time. The hotel receptionist welcomed us very nicely, but for I don't know what reason, she charged my room twice. Didn't know then, but I find that two weeks later. After a talk to someone from my bank, everything was solved and I got back my money.
Anyway, that is the only 'bad' thing I have to say about this hotel. The hotel is 3 blocks away from the Empire State Building, and that says it all. Even though it's very central, I had a great time sleeping. The noise isolation is very good.
Me and my wife had a great time there and I would totally recommend it.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple

Been to Hyatt Herald Square New York? Share your experiences!