“Definitely a Jewel in Manhattan!” 5 of 5 stars

Book Now and Save More!
Ranked #105 of 463 Hotels in New York City
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Clemmons, North Carolina
“Definitely a Jewel in Manhattan!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 31, 2014 via mobile

We stayed for 4 nights and had 3 people- it is almost impossible to find a hotel room in Manhattan for more than 2 people. We had requested a room with a chair bed- but ended up with a cot instead, but our son was happy with that- the perks and location were great. Every Floor had a water Machine and empty water bottles you could fill daily as you headed out into the city! An extra plus was a nice lounge with 2 computer work stations with printers and a Keurig coffee maker- all included with your room price. Available 24/7. There was no restaurant but so many local places right next door and within a block for great local and inexpensive New York Fare. We were directly across the street from Rockefeller Center and about 7-8 blocks from Times Square - 1 block to 5th Avenue shopping and not far to Central Park. Of course- Subway Station at the corner 1/2 block away and on the same street as Radio City Music Hall. Anywhere you stay in Manhattan is going to cost a lot. It was quiet and we were not disturbed at all- our cot was not in our room on arrival; but they brought it immediately. The bed was a King and comfortable and we would definitely stay there again. There was a microwave, coffee pot, mini fridge, dining table and the bathroom was nice. It was small, but everything is in Manhattan. A definite great place to stay in The heart o NYC but away from the noise and chaos of Times Square! We walked to all of our Broadway Shows and a Taxi back one night in the rain was about $6.00. We love NYC and The Jewel and I know we will return again!! This is absolutely a great place to check check out while staying I the wonderoua City of NY!!

• Stayed September 2013

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (253)
  • Greek first
Port Townsend, Washington, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 29, 2014

This is a beautiful little hotel. Nice staff, nice rooms. It was small, but pretty and comfortable. The location was great!!! Great dining and sites all around, close to the subway and the best shopping!!!

Room Tip: Ask for a room at the front, you can look out at the filming of the Today show.
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled with family
Longview, Texas
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 28, 2014

I switched hotels from the Crowne Plaza JFK to The Jewel due to location for my wedding. The staff was great and very helpful whenever we needed anything (ear buds, towels, etc). The room is small, our TV did not work (it did not have sound), there were about 15-20 fruit flies in our shower (I took the time to count them as I was drowning them), the bed is actually two twin beds pushed together so there is a very uncomfortable line down the middle for couples, there is no fridge, and it's incredibly loud outside at night. Since it was so close to the Rockefeller Center, it's understandable. My room at the Crowne Plaza was much nicer, but way too far away from the city. I don't quite understand why this hotel is rated so highly other than the convenient location.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
Odenton, Maryland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 28, 2014

I really liked the hotel. It was laid out well and the decor was modern and clean. The only drawback was the bar down from the hotel. About 2 in the morning on Saturday night the drunks were being a bit loud as they left the area and the windows didn't do much to quite the noise. I suppose it is New York though, otherwise it was an great trip.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
Lenox, Massachusetts
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 28, 2014

This place is shown as a four star hotel on some web sites and IT IS'NT. ---Westin, Hyatt and others are bonafide four stars . This place is three max; the rooms are small cubicles, and while new, virtually everything is pure Holiday Inn in terms of thought and quality.

Room Tip: Stay somewhere that is more accurately presented.
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled on business
Brisbane, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 27, 2014

My partner and thirteen year old son travelled to New York for the first time this past January. I booked 9 nights at 'The Jewel' largely due to the favourable reviews on trip advisor. We loved it! Yes, the rooms aren't massive, but they were clean, comfortable and warm (we happened to be there during the 'polar vortex'!). So close to everything, we found it a great base. We had a room with Kitchenette on the 2nd floor. The 2nd floor also offered a travellers lounge with TV, coffee facilities, internet/computers and printers (all free services). The 5th floor had a laundry (again all free) with washer and dryer. Free water stations are also available on every level. We made good use of this! The staff were knowledgable and helpful, always able to offer suggestions and advice when asked. WE LOVED NEW YORK!! We would definately stay at 'The Jewel' again.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled with family
Palo Alto, CA
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 26, 2014

That they call this a “jewel" in my mind is ludicrous. Maybe that's because it's so tiny. This is at best a three-star hotel but my experience suggests it's two stars or less. I arrived late in the evening and found that my room was delayed in being available and I found myself waiting in what was supposed to the lobby for over 20 minutes while they tried to find me the room I had reserved. This was past midnight. By the way that "lobby" consists of four chairs in the corner and no real reception desk and is basically a hallway that leads to the elevator.

They finally found me a room on the second floor of their adjacent property (down the block about 50 feet) called the Club Quarters. Coming out of the elevator on the second floor, I found roughly 20 large sized garbage bags packed with trash and refuse. True. Next to this was a very large trolley (~five feet tall by four feet wide) of bath linens parked in the hallway. I gathered that this floor was a staging area for their cleaning staff and could not imagine they wanted their guests to see it. Or expect guests to actually stay on the floor. The air reeked of sour trash - much like the sidewalks on a warm summer night. Not what you want to find inside your hotel.

I finally was able to squeeze into my room (as the door was behind the laundry trolley) it smelled sour and stale. There was no way I could sleep in that room and be on the floor with all that trash just outside the door. So I went back downstairs to try and find another room. It was now after 12:30 in the morning. They had nothing for me and showed no interest in trying to clean up the floor or find out what the issue was. I then proceeded to find another hotel at 1:30 in the morning. In Manhattan in the middle of summer, which proved very difficult.

I would definitely avoid this hotel unless you're absolutely desperate and don't mind having such a miserable experience. There are so many great hotels in Manhattan. To enjoy the city, this is not the one for you.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled on business

Been to The Jewel Facing Rockefeller Center? Share your experiences!