“this place is not a jewel nor does it face Rockefeller Center” 2 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Book Now and Save More!
Ranked #94 of 455 Hotels in New York City
Lenox, Massachusetts
“this place is not a jewel nor does it face Rockefeller Center”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 28, 2014

This place is shown as a four star hotel on some web sites and IT IS'NT. ---Westin, Hyatt and others are bonafide four stars . This place is three max; the rooms are small cubicles, and while new, virtually everything is pure Holiday Inn in terms of thought and quality.

Room Tip: Stay somewhere that is more accurately presented.
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (231)
  • Greek first
Brisbane, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 27, 2014

My partner and thirteen year old son travelled to New York for the first time this past January. I booked 9 nights at 'The Jewel' largely due to the favourable reviews on trip advisor. We loved it! Yes, the rooms aren't massive, but they were clean, comfortable and warm (we happened to be there during the 'polar vortex'!). So close to everything, we found it a great base. We had a room with Kitchenette on the 2nd floor. The 2nd floor also offered a travellers lounge with TV, coffee facilities, internet/computers and printers (all free services). The 5th floor had a laundry (again all free) with washer and dryer. Free water stations are also available on every level. We made good use of this! The staff were knowledgable and helpful, always able to offer suggestions and advice when asked. WE LOVED NEW YORK!! We would definately stay at 'The Jewel' again.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled with family
Palo Alto, CA
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 26, 2014

That they call this a “jewel" in my mind is ludicrous. Maybe that's because it's so tiny. This is at best a three-star hotel but my experience suggests it's two stars or less. I arrived late in the evening and found that my room was delayed in being available and I found myself waiting in what was supposed to the lobby for over 20 minutes while they tried to find me the room I had reserved. This was past midnight. By the way that "lobby" consists of four chairs in the corner and no real reception desk and is basically a hallway that leads to the elevator.

They finally found me a room on the second floor of their adjacent property (down the block about 50 feet) called the Club Quarters. Coming out of the elevator on the second floor, I found roughly 20 large sized garbage bags packed with trash and refuse. True. Next to this was a very large trolley (~five feet tall by four feet wide) of bath linens parked in the hallway. I gathered that this floor was a staging area for their cleaning staff and could not imagine they wanted their guests to see it. Or expect guests to actually stay on the floor. The air reeked of sour trash - much like the sidewalks on a warm summer night. Not what you want to find inside your hotel.

I finally was able to squeeze into my room (as the door was behind the laundry trolley) it smelled sour and stale. There was no way I could sleep in that room and be on the floor with all that trash just outside the door. So I went back downstairs to try and find another room. It was now after 12:30 in the morning. They had nothing for me and showed no interest in trying to clean up the floor or find out what the issue was. I then proceeded to find another hotel at 1:30 in the morning. In Manhattan in the middle of summer, which proved very difficult.

I would definitely avoid this hotel unless you're absolutely desperate and don't mind having such a miserable experience. There are so many great hotels in Manhattan. To enjoy the city, this is not the one for you.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled on business
Los Angeles, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 25, 2014

I recently had a problem with my reservation at The Jewel in NYC and was accommodated by the nicest woman named Carmen Alfano.. she went out of her way to resolve the situation for me and I was blown away at how kind and compassionate she was. I would recommend staying at this hotel based on her alone.. thank you dear Carmen !

• Stayed June 2014, traveled solo
Baton Rouge, Louisiana
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 24, 2014

It was our honeymoon and our first trip to NYC. I'm so glad we booked this hotel! It's new, clean, modern, and, although the rooms are tiny, there was plenty of room to store our belongings. Loved the free bottled water. Loved the location. It's central to the heart of the city. We were able to walk to Times Square and Central Park.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 19, 2014 via mobile

Location is central and lots happening outside your front door. I can't recommended this hotel highly enough. Great staff, service and facilities. Close to fifth ave, Rockefeller centre and radio city. Look fwd to returning, I wouldn't stay any where else. Clean, comfortable and modern.

Stayed August 2013
boca raton florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 18, 2014 via mobile

This property is in a great location near Rockefeller plaza and radio city music hall. The room I had was significantly large than the typical NYC hotel room and spotless. The bathroom was new, fairly large and well appointed. There was a microwave and refrigerator in the room as well. The bed was ok but a bit harder than I am use to. The climate controls were new and worked well - something you don't see often in many NYC hotels. There is a restaurant upstairs and we ate breakfast there - nothing really special. The only thing I missed is a large hotel lobby to lounge in and await your teammates in - their "lobby" is really just an extra wide hall way with cubby holes for hotel check in staff. All in all a nice experience.

Stayed July 2014, traveled on business

Been to The Jewel Facing Rockefeller Center? Share your experiences!