“Mixed feelings” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #93 of 458 Hotels in New York City
Midwest, USA
“Mixed feelings”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 18, 2014

I stayed here when I went to NYC for a wedding. The location is excellent. It is directly across the street from Rockefeller Center, and it's on a side street so there's very little noise. I know some travelers talked about the small rooms, but I was okay with that. I don't come to NYC to stay in the room. It is a very safe area, so you can walk around at night by yourself and feel pretty comfortable.

the not-so-good part of the trip: I had a problem with air conditioning. I stayed here in May, and it was unusually hot -- upper 90s, almost 100. I had trouble sleeping because it was so hot, and the next day I realized the temperature in the room was above 80. I called the front desk, and they sent a repair person. He tried and was very nice, but the AC still didn't work. I called again, when I came back to the room about 4 p.m. Another person came back, and he was very polite, but the AC worked for about 2 hours, then quit again. I spent another sleepless night. My flight left early, and I had to get up around 5 a.m., which was fine because I was actually happy to get to the airport because I thought it might be air-conditioned.

One thing to be aware of is that there is no doorman. I had trouble getting a cab for the wedding, and the people at the desk tried to be helpful, but all they could suggest is the subway or hiring a car. When I went back to the airport, I called a shuttle. So, if you need transportation, you're on your own.

I might give the hotel a second chance, but I'm not sure I would stay here again.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (234)
  • Greek first
Livermore, California
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 16, 2014

I am disappointed to report that The Jewel appears to have let its standards fall in the past year. The rooms are still more than adequate in size, but the standard of service has declined sharply. I also noticed that they are being stingy with the bath linens (1 washcloth? Really?) yet they don't observe the "eco options" described on the card; no matter what you do with the towels, they replace them all, everyday, regardless.

A few specific points as to why I'm so disappointed this time, when last year was great:

1. Breakfast is a disaster. You must go two doors down to an affiliated hotel for their breakfast. It doesn't start till 7 (though trust me, they are still setting up at 7:05) and your order - if it comes, as one of mine never did - will take 20 min at least, even if it's yogurt. The food itself is adequate but the time involved is ridiculous.

2. The downstairs restaurant. Apparently it has just opened, so to promote it, they give you a card for a free past entree at check in. Don't use it, though, as my colleague found out, as the waiter will roll their eyes and imply you're cheap to do so, even if you order an appetizer and dessert as well.

3. The staff. Don't get me wrong, they're friendly and mostly pleasant, but they aren't very attentive. When we checked in, we asked if the restaturant was open, as it was already 11 and we were starving. The clerk said they were open till 11:30, so we asked her to make sure they would still be serving if we went down in 10 or 15 min. She promised to do so, but when I went down to see what they could still serve, I was rudely informed they were closed, that no one had told them anything, and even if someone had called they wouldn't answer anyway as they were closed - though it wasn't their posted closing time anyway. When I went back the lobby to ask what happened, that clerk wasn't on duty and never reappeared.

Part 2: the heat was on extremely high on the 14th floor. Without exaggeration, it was over 80 degrees in the hall (not rooms). The water machine and the room doors were actually warm to the touch! Checked in on Saturday, stayed till Wednesday afternoon, asked every day if this would be fixed, and every time the answer was "we're working on it".

We'll definitely be booking our group of 10+ somewhere else on our next annual visit.

Room Tip: Ask for a balcony. You probably won't get one, but if you do they are very nice.
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled on business
South Shields, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 11, 2014

Can't fault this hotel at all. We have just returned from a week long break for New Year in a city we love, this was our 2nd visit & after the disappointing hotel last time, The Jewel certainly lived up to its name. Helpful & very pleasant staff ( I travelled with my 2 children which can be a little daunting for some but the staff could not have been more welcoming & helpful that I felt very confident if there had been a problem they would have helped to sort it, nothing was too much trouble). Lovely,clean rooms & laid back atmosphere. This Hotel has a perfect, central location just off 5th Ave for you shoppers, a stones throw from Rockefeller Centre, Radio City, Times square & Central Park. I would highly recommend this bijoux Hotel to any age or for however long you stay, We would without doubt stay here again, in fact I wouldn't stay anywhere else now.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
Dar es Salaam, Tanzania
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 9, 2014

We visited the Jewel end of December 13 to beginning of January 2013. The room rate included the necessary fees was without breakfast around 450 US Dollar per night.
The room was average in size. The furniture already a bit run down and not any longer up-to-date.
The carpet has seen already better times.

Nevertheless the location is great. The pictures with the skyline seen from the hotel are misleading and you will have nowhere in the hotel this view.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
Sydney, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 7, 2014

What can I say about The Jewel? The Jewel is certainly a great find. Modestly small, unwelcoming entrance and tucked away amongst the concrete jungle, this hotel is saved by virtue of its location. Hop out of the front entrance and you smash into Rockefeller Centre and the home to NBC. You absorb NY as soon as you leave the hotel. The price was perfect for the location. Walking distance to everywhere!
The hotel itself was far from modern but it was very comfortable. Our room faced a wall which made it quite dark. The lack of natural light hamperede the mood a bit. It was also quite noisy but we were in NY after all so shouldn't complain about the noise. It was quite hot in ate August and thankfully, the Hotel provided free, yes free, filtered water on every floor. This was a great bonus as it meant we didn't need to purchase water every day. Another bonus, was the free coffee and internet in the common area. Not something you find in any hotel in NY.
Overall, I very good NY experience for our 2nd time round. Highly recommend the Jewel if you want to stay somewhere central.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Sydney, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 6, 2014

Arrived here Dec 19 from a tour in Europe after a 20+ hour flight, and what a great surprise. Great staff, compact but very clean and functional rooms with all amenities. The lounge room on the 2nd floor with access to computers and printers plus free tea and coffee is a bonus. After traveling through Germany and Austria for two weeks it was fantastic to have a washing machine and dryer available for free to catch up on some washing. The location on 51st St is close to most of the major tourist sites in NYC ( Rockafeller centre, central park, times square, fifth ave etc) and our stay just before christmas was wonderful with the Christmas tree and ice skating.
Highly recommended and would definately stay again

Room Tip: Pay a little extra and get the room with a view. We had a view straight up Rockafeller plaza and dow...
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
Orlando, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 6, 2014

If you are trying to decide between hotels in the city just stop now and stay at the Jewel! Its the most fabulous hotel I have ever stayed at! From the concierge, the location across from Rockefeller Plaza, the beautiful room, the super comfy pillows, the free purified water outside your room, it could not have been more perfect!!! My mom and I had 11 days in the city for her birthday and we originally booked a room at Staybridge Suites Time Square, we were very disappointed with it. So unhappy with it that we decided to switch to the Jewel because I had heard sooo many great things about it! Boy, are we glad we switched!!! This hotel really made our trip memorable. We had booked a standard room and were upgraded to a superior with kitchenette with a lovely view of the plaza. Every request was responded to very quickly by the superior staff and front desk. The one and ONLY complaint I have is that the beds are not the most comfortable but everything else makes up for it 10 times over. I am in the hotel room right now with the window open enjoying the sounds of the city, its so wonderful here!!! Just do yourself a favor and book this hotel now!!! Trust me you won't regret it!!!

Room Tip: Any room at the Jewel is a good choice!! Don't stay at Staybridge Suites!!!!
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled with family

Been to The Jewel Facing Rockefeller Center? Share your experiences!