“One star is too generous” 1 of 5 stars
Review of City Sightseeing Hop On - Hop Off New York

City Sightseeing Hop On - Hop Off New York
Gray Line Visitor Center, 777 8th Ave (between 47th & 48th St.), New York City, NY 10036
Website
Improve this listing
Ranked #375 of 810 Activities in New York City
Type: Bus tours, Sightseeing Tours
4 attraction reviews
“One star is too generous”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 28, 2013

Avoid this company at all costs! In all of our 8 days in New York the staff of this company were the rudest people we encountered. After a nail sticking out of the panelling on the bus ripped my top I complained to the tour guide who couldn't have given a monkeys. Also, don't bother with the scam that is the 'upgrade' to the VIP pass. This was advertised as enabling you to skip the lines. Not true. When the bus pulls up, the tour guides on board just let everyone in the queue stampede towards the doors like a giant bun fight. I pointed out we were VIP pass holders to the tour guide who completely blanked me. I complained to the driver, who was very rude and told me to shut up and then a ticket seller from the street told me to get off the bus as I was holding it up from leaving! I have never been treated so shoddily! I phoned their customer service number and they didn't give a stuff either. We actually didn't bother using our 3 day passes again. Use the Metro buses and subway instead and save yourself money and grief.

Dallas, TX
3 attraction reviews
“STAY AWAY FROM THE GREEN BUS LINE TOUR!!”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 28, 2013

Talk about hell on wheels!! I was with family members when we decided to go on a tour of NYC on the Green bus line. First of I went on this tour because my mother-in-law wanted to go and it was her first time in NYC. I have been to NYC multiple times so there was no need for me to do a hop on hop off tours but I did it for her. Where do I even start? Our first day we wanted to do the downtown tour on the bus and were told the bus would go to Brooklyn but when we got on the bus we were told that we were misinformed and that the bus only goes to Brooklyn certain days of the week but not on Sunday’s. We had to wait in line over 2 hours to get on the bus. The tour guide was not excited about the tour and he was unprofessional. The second day we was worse than the first. The bus took picked us up on 42nd and 6th street and took us to Central Park where we were told the uptown bus would pick us up and take us on the uptown tour of Harlem. The bus arrived 2 ½ hours late. One supervisor and one tour guide started yelling, cursing and screaming at people for getting upset because they called the company to complain. Some tourist had been waiting longer than we had by the time we arrived at Central Park. Some of the tourist had called the police on the two employees who were yelling because they made threats. They acted as if they were doing us a favor by taking the tour after we had paid our money. By the time we got on the bus people were pushing and shoving just to make sure they were getting on. The tour guide did not point out anything to us or tell us what we were seeing on the tour. He just sat there not doing his job. It was an awful experience and I cannot say enough how horrible this bus tour is. Next time (if ever) I do a hop on hop off it will be the red line. The green line company needs to shut down as they have no respect for their customers. I could go on but there is no point. Just do yourself a favor and avoid the green line at all cost. HORRIBLE!!!!

Pa.
“Run away”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 25, 2013 via mobile

Whatever you do don't spoil a nice day in the city with this company your better off walking around or taking a cab than suffer with this group do not get on the green buses ! They should not have a license to carry passengers.

Croc country
10 attraction reviews
“I think I could walk faster”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 24, 2013

We had a 24hr pass for this bus and thought we'd do a couple of attractions. After finding one of their stops, which don't have the best signage, we had to wait in line in 34.c for 10mins in front of two seemingly able buses parked infront of us. no-one seeemd to know what to do with all of us. Eventually boarded the bus, only upstairs (so bring a hat on hot days and some water). We then had to change seats numerous times as some of the earphone stations weren't working well.. It then took us 1 & 1/2 hrs to go 11 stops to our first destination, because traffic is so heavy most of the time. This wasn't for us as we found it unprofessional and a waste of time. In saying that the guide and front desk staff were fantastic. Shame about the rest of the experience

Visited July 2013
6 attraction reviews
“I wouldnt recommend”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 23, 2013

pass on it. I just got back from a 7 day NYC trip. Since i was there for 7 days i got the Unlimited 7 day MEtro Card (loved that and worth the $30) takes you from 244th st to Brooklyn, NJ, Queens, Bronx.....

These buses are crowded... You never know when the next one will come unlike the subway/bus. If the next tour bus comes it could be full and then they wont stop.

I got this hop on/off as part as my NYC Pass package. Even the Bronx tour (LAME) not sure why they call it a bronx tour cause all it does in the Bronx is take you to Yankee Stadium.

Night tour (takes you to Brookly so you can see the skyline in the dark) you dont have time for pictures as the bus is always moving

Brookly Tour (drives around the streets of brooklyn) i dunno

Save your money and invest in the metro card and you will get to sights faster and be your own tour guide