“Hidden treasure” 5 of 5 stars

No photo provided
Got a photo?
Add it.
Burp Castle
41 East 7th Street, East Village, New York City, NY (East Village)
212-982-4576
Redditch, United Kingdom
3 attraction reviews
“Hidden treasure”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 2, 2012

It doesn't look that promising from the outside but once inside it's completely different. There's paintings of monks doing silly things on the walls and wood panels. The selection of drinks is quite limited - around 10 different beers and wine. I'm not a beer drinker but the friendly barmaid was able to recommend me a nice beer.

The best thing about it is if the noise level rises then the barmaid/barman starts to Shhhh (many of the customer joined in while I was there) and we all continue our conversations at a quieter volume!

If you're looking for a loud crazy night out this is not the place for you but if you want to enjoy a quiet drink and catch up with friends then I'd definitely recommend it!

Visited August 2012

Akron, Ohio, United States
17 attraction reviews
“Where you can actually have a conversation!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 25, 2012

To the 1, 2 or 3 stars, WHY??? Are you made you got shhh'd or because you cannot go to a bar and act like a monkey let out of the cage? Personally this type of place is needed more often instead of all the est. where you cannot hear your friend sitting right next to you.

We didn't stay very long because lets me honest, we're in NYC on vacation and there are just far too many bars to sit at one for too long. But I would love to come back here because the ability to be able to hear your friends is so nice. The beer selection was also pretty good and the bartenders were also very friendly.

My only complaint is the seating is a bit uncomfortable but after a few beers I don't really care where I am sitting anymore.

Visited September 2012
Salisbury, United Kingdom
4 attraction reviews
“Strangest Bar-being told to be quiet!!”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 6, 2012

My friend and I were meeting another friend for a drink on our holiday. It was our first night so he told us where to meet him. First impressions we thought amazing cool little pub, in the heart of East Village. The choice of drink isn't your usual for a bar, consisting of wine, beer & cider (or tap water) but none the less we were out to have a good night. Soon after the alcohol was flowing, our conversation got louder & so did our laughter. With this we actually got told to "ssssshhhhh"!!! and not only on just one occasion! What sort of bar do you get told to be quiet in?! Perhaps the barmaid wasn't having a good day? Not long after this we took off, so we could actually enjoy our night as ADULTS and not be told to shut up! I do think it is a shame because it could have full potential to be a great, buzzing bar.

Visited August 2012
Boston, Massachusetts
8 attraction reviews
“Unusual Bar”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 30, 2012

Stopped here during a weekend visit to NYC last September. There were, indeed, Gregorian chants, monastic murals, and delicious beers. The bartender will shush the crowd when chatter gets loud (because loudness is irreverent in a place held sacred by beer worshipers). You'll constantly feel like you're being scolded. But, that's the fun of it, right? It's a quirky spot to get a few beers.

Visited September 2011
barrett, mn
3 attraction reviews
“you can't go home again...”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 2, 2012

the burp castle was always one of my favorite places to take people in nyc, that is until this past spring. i showed up with a friend after a long day of hanging out in the village. the woman behind the bar wouldn't come to our table, even though there wasn't anybody else in the bar. no big deal, so i went up to the bar and asked for the beer list. she said the "beer guy" wasn't in so there was no point in me looking at a list! then she said "and just so you know, we don't carry budweiser!" seriously? so i order two glasses of wine. she pours and leaves them on the counter for me to come get. next scene, a couple friends and a toddler show up (hers i assume). let's just say there was no "shushing". the kid was everywhere and all they did was talk among themselves about how fabulous he was. another lost sole showed up after we did and went through the same thing. i almost grabbed her arm on the way out the door and said"come with me! run far, far away!" never again...so sad!

Visited April 2012