“Wonderful stay!” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Metro Apartments

You added Metro Apartments to your Saves list
Metro Apartments
3.0 of 5 Condominium   |   440 West 41st Street, New York City, NY 10036 (Midtown)   |
“Wonderful stay!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 11, 2013 via mobile

This hotel is tremendous value for money and not enough can be said about the staff! They were phenomenal !
I came to New york with my daughter to celebrate her 21 st birthday.She'd never been to New York so I wanted her stay to be special. It was for 6 nights and found Metro apartments the most reasonable pricewise- best value for money and being an apartment with a doorman for security it had all the amenities of staying in an apartment with a kitchenette.
A special mention has to be made for the
Manager, Glen who went above and beyond to make our stay wonderful- even changing our studio immediately for a better one when I mentioned that the room phone wasn't working!
All in all, it was a memorable stay. The location was within easy walking distance to Times square and the theatre district so we were able to take in a couple of Broadway shows.
Everything about the hotel was good and I would highly recommend a stay there. I know I will definately stay here again.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (92)
london
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 3, 2013

After reading some of the reviews I was concerned that the hotel might be a bit of a dump. I'd read about bad drainage, noise and general shabbiness. Having never stayed in the Hell's Kitchen district of NY before I was a little unsure about what to expect. After exiting Port Authority Bus Terminal and walking a block or two I saw the hotel. It's in a fairly dodgy looking area next to flyovers and main roads. There were three of us on a stag weekend so we weren't really concerned about the quality of the hotel and were expecting the worst, especially given the fact that my booking criteria was 'cheapest hotel in Manhattan without wholly negative reviews in the past 12 months'.
I thought it may have been a self-service check-in but was pleasantly surprised to see a small lobby and someone to greet us. A fairly miserable chap checked us in and told us someone was on the desk 24/7 if we needed anything, which was nice. He also told us that we'd been given a complimentary upgrade to one of the new rooms that had recently been refurbished. I didn't really think anything of this and thought it was just something they say. We took the lift to the room and opened the door.
Oh
My
God
We were all gobsmacked. We walked in to what must have been one of if not the nicest rooms I've ever had in a NYC hotel. I've been about 10 times so have had quite a selection of rooms over the years. The room was spotless and had certainly only just been refurbished. There couldn't have been many people in this room before we stepped foot in it, so hopefully they keep the standard up. From memory, the room featured:

Electric hob
iPhone dock alarm clock
Wooden floors
Good selection of Ikea cutlery and crockery for 2-3 people
Electric tin opener
Washing up liquid and new dish sponge

The fully tiled bathroom was spotless and had a walk-in shower, loo and sink. Adequate storage in both the bathroom and the room itself, with large cupboards and drawers.

We noticed a problem as soon as we stepped into the room, which was a lack of bed for the third person. We had definitely booked for three people in one room and there was no sofa bed so we had visions of us being moved to an older un-refurbished room just for the extra space. However, when we told the chap on reception he had a fold up bed brought up within 20 minutes. The fold up bed was actually broken but by this time we thought we'd just take the mattress off and put it directly on the floor. Can't complain and all that, we're British.

The main bed was very comfy and after going for a walk we realised that actually the area was not as bad as it first looked. Yes, we noticed the very very seedy looking 'Bikini Bar' almost next door, but apart from this the area was sprinkled with nice restaurants, bars and general shops. On the first morning I woke up and wandered down to the nearest grocery store to buy some coffee for the coffee maker along with some cream cheese, bagels, cereal etc etc. I couldn't have walked more than 10 minutes before coming to a shop with a large selection of food so this was definitely a plus point as it meant we didn't have to eat out every single morning. There is a diner almost opposite the hotel which did serve a lovely breakfast on the last morning we were there.

All in all I would not hesitate to recommend this hotel so long as you can ensure you get one of the newer rooms. I am sure the entire hotel is being renovated, but perhaps before booking you might want to phone them directly and check the availability of refurbished rooms so that you can be allocated one whenever the booking from your travel agent goes through.

Can't wait to go back to NYC in general and I will certainly check availability for the Metro Apartments when I do.

Oh, one last thing - there is no maid service as far as we could work out. There were cleaners in and around the hotel but presumably they only perform a clean and towel change etc when people actually check out. If you want someone to make your bed every day then by all means pay the extra £20-£40 per night that another hotel will charge!

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 1, 2013

Visited for a long weekend break with my family (myself, my partner' my mother and our 2 teenagers) to celebrate my daughters birthday. Although the street it's self was not the most attractive in Manhattan and it's close proximity to the bus depot meant a certain amount of traffic noise, was very pleased and these factors led to a cheaper price I assume. The building and our apartment were spotlessly clean. We were very comfortable, clean bathroom, decent TV, adequate kitchen, comfy beds. The staff were absolutely fantastic, very helpful and friendly. There was a great diner opposite where we ate breakfast and a handy nearby shop. Times Square was a 10 minute walk and the constant flow of taxis allowed us easy access to every where we wanted to go. Would maybe stay in a more upper class hotel with more services if just with my partner, but for a laid back, family or budget trip would highly recommend the Metro Apartments and would certainly return. Thank you. (Was really impressed with the very friendly staff).

Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 31, 2013

We stayed here last year and were a little worried by the bad comments in tripadvisor. What I will say is that people definitely do overreact, I found nothing... NOTHING... Wrong with this hotel. The room was gorgeous, big and spotlessly clean, we had a view of the Freedom tower in the distance and the front desk staff were helpful and always said hello when we wandered through the lobby. It is loud outside, but I'm yet to find anywhere in New York City that isn't! The hotel is an easy walk to Times Square and other attractions. We enjoyed its proximity to the High Line. We are two females and did not feel unsafe at all in the area.

If you're looking for an excellent value hotel near Times Square, this is your hotel. If you're looking to be waited in hand and foot and have saunas and spas... You're going to have to lay top dollar for that my friend! Seriously fantastic hotel, would not hesitate to recommend to anyone.

I can only hope that when we go back this year we will be allocated our lovely 9C again - what a gorgeous room!

Room Tip: We had 9C which was a great room
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Manila, Philippines
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 30, 2013

Metro Apartment is about 45 minutes ride from the JFK Airport. Located on 41st Street near a freeway and Bus station (Port Authority) so expect noise from vehicles. Reception is not friendly nor accommodating. They treat you like just ordinary tenant so don't expect any greetings from them. No bell service or amenities, since it is an apartment so you carry your own bags. It seems counter staffs are bored of their work. Rate is not reasonable for me, we paid $800+ for 3 nights stay. The least we expected from them is the courteousness and warmth from their staffs.

Rooms are ok and averagely sized, clean with a small kitchenette equipped with ref, microwave, burner, coffee maker and other basic kitchen equipment. Provide you only 1 coffee brew sachet for the entire stay. Bathroom with one set to toiletries. A plus is you get free Wifi and that's it. They have coffee in the morning at the lobby area but often times they tell you that it is not yet ready, so forget it.

Doesn't change your towels nor change your linens or clean your room. We even brought the towels to the Reception area and requested to change it since it has been 3 days we've used it. Don't call the reception from your room coz they don't answer it at all. If you are the kind of person who likes clean and fresh room everyday then this is not for you. This is an apartment. They won't assist you when you check out even if you asked them regarding airport transfer they will tell you to do it yourself and they can't do it for you and tell you to just get a yellow cab.

Location is few blocks away from Time square. Since location of Metro Apartment is located on an open intersection , suggest that when you exit from there cross the street and walk towards 42nd street then make a right then down to Broadway, Time square or even 5th avenue where there are lots of restaurants, grocers and shops along the way. Streets are well lit on 42nd street and safer than walking straight 41st street.

If you have arranged for airport shuttle from Metro Apartment to the airport, don't forget to confirm with the shuttle company since it will take you 1 hour getting to the airport. But if you are traveling with few bags only and doesn't mind taking the bus which is cheaper, just walk toward Port Authority and catch the bus to the airport.

Room Tip: higher floor facing 41st street.
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
Ahmedabad, India
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 29, 2013

The hotel is on 41st st 10th ave , near the bus station. Times square is 3 blocks away. The rooms are small , with a kitchenette . The washrooms are very small. They charge $ 50 to clean the room while the gust is staying !
One elevator gets spoilt frequently.
Staff attitude is not warm, specially the reception staff.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Boston, Massachusetts
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 23, 2013

A good place to stay if you want something near Time Square. The place is very clean and reasonably priced. It has a small kitchen with two burners , microwave, coffee maker and refrigerator. I just stayed for one night and it was close everything that I was visiting. Very close to Hells Kitchen Flea too. The area is not wonderful but safe enough and the price is right for NYC.

I just wanted to add Mad Art at Madison Square Park check out the Rope sculpture until Sept. 8th. It is worth the trip.

Room Tip: We had a studio corner room which was quite good. Although it is close to the Port Authority it was...
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to Metro Apartments? Share your experiences!