“Great place & location!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of The Pearl Hotel

You added The Pearl Hotel to your Saves list
The Pearl Hotel
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   233 West 49th Street, New York City, NY 10019 (Manhattan)   |
Special Rate
Book Direct for Best Rate
Ranked #13 of 459 Hotels in New York City
London, United Kingdom
“Great place & location!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 18, 2014

We are here for 3 nights, room 1004, with balcony!
Fantastic, as it is so hot can do a little sun bathing after walking all day, not many hotels have balcony's, so worth it just to soak up New Yorks atmosphere.
Don't have any problems with noise,
Great clean room, great shower & very comfortable bed, even a little kitchen, which we heated up food from carmines restaurant, ( another great place to it)
Lovely continental breakfast & afternoon complemetry wine & cheese,fruits biscuits.
So close to Times Square ( 2 mins walk ) broadway, even Central park 15min walk, tube either end of block, got down to world trade centre in 10 mins, downtown broadway is like our oxford street shops!
I've treated my husband for his 50th birthday, well worth the money.

• Stayed June 2014

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (285)
California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 17, 2014

Spent 5 nights in mid June. City was packed with tourists, but the Pearl is on a quieter street near Times Square. Subway is one block away, bellmen very helpful with directions and cabs. Front desk staff very friendly, and helpful with transportation and resaurant recommendations. We stayed in two rooms, one with 2 Queens and the other with 2 Queens and a small sitting area, both rooms were super clean. Nice shower and separate tub in each bathroom. Wine hour in the evening was nice, and breakfast was decent especially for children/teenagers. Typical fair, bagels, cereal, pastries. Would recommend for families, or anyone who wants to be near Times Square, but on a quieter street. We stayed on the 8th floor facing 49th street, room was quiet, no noise issues.

Sydney, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 17, 2014

Terrific location yet quiet. Can walk to many of the sights, restaurants, subway close. Door and desk staff really helpful. Theatres all around (one opposite, Book of Mormon). Large room, very clean. Loved everything, would recommend.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled with family
Salt Lake City, Utah
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 14, 2014

In NYC it's hard to find accommodations comfortable for a larger family. The Pearl comfortably fit our family of six. The room had two queen beds and a pull out couch area. While I wouldn't call it a suite per say, it definitely provided enough room for our sleeping needs. The evening wine and cheese was wonderful and having access to the continental breakfast was convenient in the morning. The location can't be beat if you want to be close to Times Square and easily walk to many of the broadway shows. We were warmly welcomed the minute we stepped out of the car and the front desk clerks were extremely helpful and friendly. Very happy we found The Pearl!

Room Tip: Rooms near the street are obviously a little louder. Bring along a sound machine or download a soun...
Bishop Auckland, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 10, 2014

Lovely small friendly boutique hotel. Staff and concierge very helpful. Breakfast although continental still offered alot of choice, eggs, bagels, pastries. Lovely philosophy shower toiletries. Nice size rooms, very clean. Would not recommend to those who are looking to avoid the extremely busy times square. Luckily our room was not facing the road and was very quiet. 5 stars.

Edmonton, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 10, 2014

Simply put, you can't beat the location of The Pearl. We stayed for 3 night in late May and are very happy with the choice. It is just a couple blocks from the heart of Times Square and the theatres and restaurants. We had tickets to go see The Book of Mormon and it was right across the street, literally. We were able to get dressed, and walk across the street 10 minutes before the show. It is also walking distance to attractions like Rockefeller Center and, though a little further, the Empire State Building. All in all, the location can't be beat.

I had read a lot prior to arrival about how great the staff was. On that, I am a bit disappointed. Not that anything bad happened or received any bad service, but it was just very perfunctory. They would smile, answer a question and that is about it. After reading about how friendly they were, I was disappointed for the most part. No initiation of conversation, no asking if we needed any help with anything, volunteering information about what to do, where to go, etc. And these are things I don't need, but was just surprised about not receiving after reading other reviews. one of the front desk reps couldn't even tell us where to go for a good, Italian meal after our show because he "doesn't eat carbs.". The one exception is the door men. They were terrific, always with a smile, asking us about our day, etc. Kudos to them. The front desk and concierge...meh.

We did eat at the attached restaurant the first night. it was very, very good. The morning continental breakfast was a great thing to have. Very nice to wake up and have a bagel, some yoghurt, cereal, and juice before heading out for the day.

As for the room itself. Very nice. The bathroom especially was fantastic, though not enough space around the sink to put things. Fantastic walk-in shower, easily the best shower I've ever had in a hotel anywhere....ever. Not a big room, but typical of New York I think. We were on the 8th floor and overlooked the street and the theatre next door. Not a great view, but at least something. Bed was comfortable, though, as with most hotels I find, the pillows were too soft. But we heard virtually no street noise.

All in all, it was a very good stay. That being said, I don't know if I would stay again. It is expensive. I know it is New York and everything is expensive. But I think I could have saved a few hundred bucks over the 3 nights we were there and stayed in a hotel in the same area. Maybe a bigger hotel, which doesn't bother me, but when I don't get the extra benefit from the staff that one would think you would get from the smaller, boutique hotels, why spend that money? The included breakfast and wifi, though, may sway my opinion, though. Next time I go to New York, I will look at other hotels and keep in mind the free breakfast, wifi, and terrific location and this may still work out to being the best.

Room Tip: I like rooms with a view, even if it is street side. You can hear noise, but it is New York and it...
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
Zurich, Switzerland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 7, 2014

I have visited NYC many times. This time my favorite accomodations were all booked and I had to find an alternative. I chose "The Pearl" based on a quick web search. It worked out great. If you plan to visit shows the location is perfect. There are a couple of theaters in the same block. I guess about 20 or so more with 5 min. walking distance (as is Times Square). If theater is not on the agenda you are pretty well connected with access to the subway lines A,C,E, 1 and 2.
When I checked in I asked for a quiet room, especially not next to the elevator. I got a free upgrade (thanks, folks!!) to a spacious room on the 7th floor (705) which was perfect for me. The staff was always helpful and conveyed a desire to create a good guest experience.

There was space for little a work area for laptop and my photo equipment, which could stay there permanently. WLAN connectivity worked flawlessly. You have to re-register every 24h which is a bit of a nuisance, but anyway! The room was equipped with a microwave, coffee maker, a few plates, etc. Get supplies at the Food Emporium right on the corner to 8th Av. if you don't want to eat out. I slept very well, as the room was really absolutely quiet. The bathroom was spacious and leaves nothing to be desired. The fittings looked quite new and upscale. Water pressure, temperature always perfect. No compromise needed there. In fact the entire room looked quite new and fresh.

The breakfast buffet was included. The location is divided in a small closed room and a sort of gallery above the lobby. It was not my favorite ambiance, but that really is complaining on a high level :-).

I have been in Manhattan hotels which charged more and offered significantly less quality. The Pearl is on the pricey side, but you truly get what you pay for. I will definitely be back.

Room Tip: Tell the receptionist what your priorities are. I am sure they will do their best to make you happy.
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled solo

Been to The Pearl Hotel? Share your experiences!