“The Pearl is a Gem” 5 of 5 stars
Review of The Pearl Hotel

You added The Pearl Hotel to your Saves list
The Pearl Hotel
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   233 West 49th Street, New York City, NY 10019 (Manhattan)   |
Special Rate
Book Direct for Best Rate
Ranked #13 of 459 Hotels in New York City
Anaheim Hills, California
“The Pearl is a Gem”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 14, 2012

My wife and I spent 3 nights at the Pearl in May of 2012. The location is perfect for theatre goers and for touring New York with subway stops very nearby. The concierge desk was very helpful and knowledgable. We were delighted to have our room upgraded to a very spacious suite. Complimentary breakfast is good and the hotel bar and restaurant is quiet and friendly. If you are looking for a hotel that is central to Times Square, theaters, restaurants and convenient subway entrances this is the place.

Room Tip: Ask for a room that does not gace 49th street.
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (285)
UK
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 12, 2012

Having read previous positive reports, we recently booked and stayed for 5 nights at The Pearl. Check in was OK; however the particular receptionist that evening was not at all welcoming and struggled to raise any form of smile. Our room, 1204, was modern and generally satisfactory, but the small size of the bathroom was a complete joke. We felt it inexcuseable that a room this size could be assigned for a multinight stay, especially as we had paid an average of $400 per night. Matters were made even worse, when we became aware of another couple who stayed over the same weekend and paid only $300 per night, even though their room also had an out door terrace !
Due to the bathroom we did request a room change, which Darren the duty manager couldn't have been more helpful with, but the only rooms on offer were either located directly next to the lifts, or only had a tub and not a walk-in shower which we wanted.
On our last evening, when we returned to the room we found it hadn't been serviced. It took several phone calls, an inspection by the housekeeping manager (not sure if he hadn't believed us?), and a further 4 hours before it was finally cleaned. I still then had to make a further call to have a bar of soap delivered, as the bathroom amenities still hadn't been replenished.
As others have stated, all the door men and bell staff we encountered were very friendly and helpful.
Wine and cheese hour a nice touch, but having soemone 'stand guard' to pour the wine did make you feel a little like Oliver Twist asking for more if you required your glass topping up !
Rooms are nicely isolated from the street noise, but if you need to leave the air con on during the night, which we did, it is so noisey that it wakes you up.
It appears our review is generally at odds to others posted on Tripadvisor, but on our personal experience from this particular visit, when we return to NY we will probably look to stay elsewhere.

Room Tip: Stay away from room1204, or any of those located above the emergency stairwells.
Richmond Hill, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 11, 2012

Hotel was super clean.
Quiet considering you are in the middle of the theater district
and steps away from Times Square.
Staff was excellent and helpful.
Breakfast was more than I expected.
Fruit, bagels, cereal, pastries, juices...
Great boutique style hotel.
Only a few years old.
Excellent concierge..........would stay there again!

Vancouver
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 9, 2012

I stayed here for two nights in the middle of July 2012 based on the great reviews on Tripadvisor.com and a good rate. My stay was fine. The hotel is well located and convenient to Times Square theaters, restaurants and transit. There is a good complimentary continental breakfast. The room was OK, not large but a good size for New York, very small windows in the corner only so not much natural light but one has everything one needs.

I had a little problem with the car to Newark that the bellman of the hotel arranged for me. The driver claimed the quoted price was exclusive of tolls when it came time to pay him when I arrived at the airport whereas the hotel had said it was inclusive of tolls. I advised the bellman by phone and followed up with an e-mail to The Pearl and told them I would be returning to New York in a few weeks. When I returned to New York, I followed up with another e-mail to the hotel and was told the toll amount of $14 would be refunded to me and that there was an envelope at the front desk with my name. I subsequently went to the hotel to pick up the refund, front desk located the envelope, gave it to me and asked me to sign to acknowledge I received it. It was OK but I felt more like I was being asked to sign a release than that the hotel was fixing a problem and sorry for it. As noted, the amount was only $14 so it was not the money that was the important thing, but the reliability of the contractors and services the hotel uses and provides and their reaction when a problem arises.

I had a similar problem with another New York hotel and the front desk of that other hotel not only chased down the refund from the car company, but also called me at my new hotel when I did not immediately pick up the refund. They really made me feel like I was a special guest and that no problem I had was too small for them to chase down and resolve for me. The Pearl resolved the issue when I prompted it to so it did what I rightly expected it to, but did not leave me with any feelings of being impressed by their reaction and response.

I don't want to suggest that all New York hotels have problems - the incidents I mentioned are few and far between when compared with the many times I have gone to New York and stayed at hotels with absolutely no issues arising at all. However, I do think that issues arising are the times when one can really see the differences between hotels beyond the physical rooms and facilities.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled solo
alabama
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 6, 2012

This hotel was definitely a Pearl. The staff was very friendly. They seem to go out of there way to do anything for you. Vania(the front desk clerk) and Azurel (the bellman) was great. There were many, many more. However; I seemed to always come into contact with them. I read previous post about the breakfast and how small the hotel is. The Hotel has 14 floors I believe. Our room was 701. It is located in front of the broadway play Book of Mormon. The ice machine is located on LL, which is past the main lobby. If you don't want to go down there and get it. You can always call the front desk and they will be more than happy to bring it to you. We came in for my hubby birthday. I had a cake ordered and brought in from Cake Boss on TLC (Carlos Bakery) they signed for it and accepted it on my behalf. Also I had read a post about the hotel giving a bottle of champagne upon request and having it in the room. They did that as well as had a birthday card to go with it. It was very romantic.

OK the breakfast was not your hot breakfast with meat and eggs. They had bagels, toast, cereal, yogurt and fresh fruit. The beverages included coffee, hot chocolate,tea, milk, orange, apple juice. I heard some complaining that it was served on plastic. Look someone would have to clean that up! The bigger chain hotels around the corner DO NOT offer a free breakfast, You also have to pay $29.00 a night for internet as well as to use the gym. At the Pearl all of that is included in your price. My point is if you want a sit down hot breakfast, around the corner is a all you can eat breakfast buffet for $19.99 called the Pigalle. You can go there and it is pretty good.

At 4-5 pm the Pearl also has a wine and cheese hour every night which we missed for sightseeing. They give you iced water and little snacks that is by the door when you walk in for the hot heat. The snacks includes Lays potato chips, pretzels, and cookies.

In my opinion the Pearl is awesome and we will stay here agian.

Room Tip: We got upgraded from a queen to a king room. Our room # was 701. We were right off the elevator bu...
Toronto, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 6, 2012

Just had a great experience at The Pearl Hotel in NYC. It's in a great location in the Times Square area, and with all the noise around the area, it's very quiet in the rooms. The hotel will be 2 yrs old in October, so it's the most clean and modern hotel, likely in the Times Square area. We had three rooms - 2 King rooms and 1 room with 2 Queen beds, lots of space for a NYC hotel. The service was fantastic, from check in to check out to the guys at the door. Great to see a nice boutique hotel - not one of the chains - that's gets it right!! Well done The Pearl and thanks for a great family experience.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
Northport, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 6, 2012

Great place to stay when your visiting NYC. Rooms clean & upscale.
They also give Philosophy Bath products in the bathroom (soap, shampoo, etc...) which are the BEST!!! Best product I've used in a long time.
I even left a credit card & cash in the safe. They called to tell me & returned it to me - with all the cash intact!
Great location, great service, great bath products, great hotel!

Room Tip: The higher the floor - the less street noise. (which is applicable for any hotel within NYC).
  • Stayed December 2011, traveled on business

Been to The Pearl Hotel? Share your experiences!