“Great fish, friendly staff” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Jeffrey's

Jeffrey's
172 Waverly Pl, Frnt A, New York City, NY 10014-3592 (West Village)
646-398-7630
Good for: Bar scene
Dining options: Breakfast, Dinner, Late Night
Neighborhood: West Village
Lausanne, Switzerland
“Great fish, friendly staff”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 9, 2012

We ate for our New year's Eve at Jeffrey's. Pre-fixed dinner with crab salad, halibut, excellent fish. The also offered us an appetizer with oysters and salmon. Very high-quality cuisine, we loved every single thing. They have also excellent wines. The place is very nice and friendly and the staff is great, very nice guys. Then we were at the bar waiting midnight with them drinking excellent cocktails. That was a very nice way to spend our New Year's Eve far from chaotic midtown. West village is lovely and definitely our favourite part of Manhattan.

Visited December 2011

New York City, New York
“They Cook On Hotplates”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 7, 2011

NO AIR CONDITIONING! (Just a warning) We were a party of 3 in mid-August and it was freakin HOT. All doors and windows open, ugh!
We had to wait way too long just for drinks, very slow service here. When we finally got our order my friends Sea Bass was like rubber. He could not even cut it. Was sent back. The waitress used a fork and took it off my friends plate and left the veggies, seriously! My Brisket Sandwich was pretty good. The second order of Sea Bass arrived but was the same, rubbery, uneatable.
He ordered something else, obviously unmemorable.
When I waited for the restroom I noticed that all the food was cooked on hotplates, seriously? No wonder the Sea Bass wasn't cooked properly.

When I want local seafood again I will definitely stick to Pearl around the corner, I love it there and they don't use hot plates! They have an oven!

• Visited August 2011
    • 2 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 1 of 5 stars Food
Vallejo, California
“West Side Gem”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 11, 2011

After lunch at another restaurant and a walk on the High Line we headed off through the West Village via Gansevoort street and on down into teens to 10th street and stumbled upon Jeffrey’s.

The decor is old farm grocery store meets New York and our intention was to have an early evening nosh and proceed to dinner. This is a small place that has staff with a relaxed yet professional demeanor and a great little menu. I watched as the hostess made each and every party comfortable and welcome despite a large Labor Day crowd. This is a small joint and the servers worked well together to provide great service.

We had a lovely nosh of oysters and fresh anchovy crostini with avocado and preserved lemon, a delicious combination. Add a little Gruner Veltliner, rose and beer and sparking conversation and you have an excellent experience. I loved the Skookum and Beau Soleil oysters which were fresh and by far our favorites.

This was a wonderful find on our walk and a great little west side gem.

• Visited September 2011
Scotland
“Best meal we had in New York”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 24, 2011

We came here to celebrate our friends 30th birthday and had a wonderful time. The food was fantastic, particularly the seafood platter which was unbelievably fresh. It was the first time I had dared to try a raw oyster and it won't be the last!

The service was great, really friendly and our server recommended a wonderful (affordable) wine.

Prices were reasonable for such great food - I would go out of my way to go back here on a future visit.

• Visited October 2011
Oslo, Norway
“Good food, nice atmosphere.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 12, 2011

Nice bar and restaurant. Food is made behind the bar and is simple, but good. Very friendly staff.