“Mondrian SoSo” 3 of 5 stars

Ranked #228 of 458 Hotels in New York City
Dammam
“Mondrian SoSo”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 3, 2014

Don't get me wrong this place has some real pluses. Location great, Isola restaurant was good and staff there was very good. The rooms are painfully small even for NYC, supposedly they have a doorman but I never seemed to see him when I was struggling with heavy bags trying to open the very heavy door with full hands. Liked the look of the place including the art installation in the reception area, but the gardenia fragrance was a bit overpowering. One thing that happened would make me not come back though. One of the staff members, and I am sure inadvertently game me the name of a guest complete with room number, which I thought was pretty poor form. I have stayed in that area several times and try a new place but I must say the Mercer has been the best of the bunch.

Room Tip: If you want a room you can have more than 1 person in along with luggage, you better get a suite!
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (249)
Los Angeles, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 29, 2013

Our stay was short but nevertheless, we really enjoyed the Mondrian. We had a king suite which was small but not tiny. Definitely bigger than some NYC hotels. Lovely view. Beautifully decorated white on white with touches of cobalt blue. Really hip and upscale. Beds and linen are super comfy and luxurious. Bathroom are a little tight, but sleek looking and manageable. The hotel even smells nice (something scented) when you enter the lobby. Common spaces are also visually interesting and very on-trend design wise. Surprisingly quiet even at night with a vibrant bar scene downstairs. We wanted to be walking distance to all of the shopping and restaurants in Soho. This is the perfect location for that. Staff was mostly helpful (had a hard time hailing a cab one night- just make sure you request one at the desk before you even get down to the street. The hotel is sort of "tucked away" and cabs don't generally pass by the entrance). Definitely stay here if you want to enjoy Soho and nearby NY attractions. You can do a lot on foot, subway, etc. The one cab ride we had to take to see a show on Broadway took forever. Have to leave at least an hour of extra time just to compensate for distance, traffic, etc. Or take the subway. All in all, it really feels like a special, private little retreat after a busy NY day. Only meal we ate here was breakfast. The room, which converts to a bar a night is truly beautiful. Food was okay. Price per night was a very good value.

Room Tip: Would opt to be higher up with views toward shopping area
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
New York City, New York
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 29, 2013

No bellman No assistance the rooms are zoo small I wouldn't put my child in one. the room was poorly stocked hardly a closet it is more of a b and b than a hotel. The hotel sucked but beautiful. Don't get me wrong great for a visit not to stay

Room Tip: if you can beg borrow or break the bank for a larger room or stay in another hotel!
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
Miami
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 27, 2013

We enjoyed our stay 4 night stay. Glad we had a so called suite at the highest floor. The room was so small I can not imagine staying at a regular room.
The tray with glasses and ice bucket are placed in the bathroom sink as there is no space anywhere else. I decided to place them on the desk. Be prepared.
The restaurant was delicious every time we tried it. Has a great atmosphere to relax after a long day of walking in the city.
We have been to NYC many times and wanted to stay in this area instead of midtown, but this hotel is a bit away from the nicer part of Soho.

• Stayed November 2013
Anchorage, Alaska
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 27, 2013

We spent the weekend here, it was a lovely hotel, the blue accents with lots of mirrors was quite unique. Room was a decent size for NYC, bathroom and shower were awesome. Location was great for our wedding in Little Italy. Close to the subway station that services most lines (Canal St.).

BEWARE: AVOID THE BAR!!! (Outside/patio bar named Isola, this may be different than the inside bar.) The bartender tried to add extra drinks onto my tab. She took them off when I pointed out her error (she claimed she thought I was paying for another guy's drinks, simply because I was talking to him while waiting for my drinks). However, she added an extra ten bucks on to the tip! Shady stuff, so beware. If you must buy a drink at the bar, stick to cash!

• Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
New York City, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 23, 2013

I stayed in one of the deluxe suites in June for my wedding night as well as for the night before my wedding. The pre-wedding night was with all my bridesmaids, so it was such a great place in a wonderful location for us to hang out and be girls! The hotel is artful and beautiful. I love the blue that pops everywhere you go. I thought the room itself was amazing; I loved the floor to ceiling windows, the two bathrooms was awesome (just what we needed!) and the bed and pullout couch were great. The showers are roomy and very pretty. They also provide complimentary VOSS water and nice glasses for you to drink from. It's pretty cool that they have an ipod/iphone docking station; we used this to play music while we were getting ready in the morning!

The wedding night was in the same room and it was just as great. Service there is excellent! My husband and I ate at the restaurant for breakfast the next day and loved it. I just really loved this hotel :) It wasn't cheap but I think it was money well spent.

Room Tip: my deluxe suite really was spacious and just beautiful. You can't beat having 2 bathrooms!!
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 18, 2013

WE jsut came back from 4 nights at Mondrian Soho - it's a great hotel, really cool vibe and the feel of a small boutique hotel.

Location is great - in easy distance of the subway and 2 blocks from the shopping! Both high street (uniqlo, levi, topshop) and high end (tiffany, chanel, burberry) - also really close to Bloomingdales.

We got upgraded to a Superior room which was nice - loved the Malin&Goetz toiletries. The bed is also really comfortable but the walls are a bit thin. We part-paid for this with Avios, not sure if I would pay full price.

The rooms come with an ipad which is great for surfing and using google maps. The concierge is also great - recommended some nice restaurants and bars.

Room Tip: We had a nice view from 11th, facing the East side but not much to look at.
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to Mondrian SoHo Hotel? Share your experiences!