“Great hotel, but not value for money!” 4 of 5 stars

Offers & Announcements
Complimentary Wine
Ranked #144 of 464 Hotels in New York City
Vancouver
“Great hotel, but not value for money!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 1, 2014

Pros
-Great location, close to SoHo shops, numerous restaurants and within walking distance of the Highline.
-Large bedroom, with small lounge room (although we paid for the privilege).
-Rooms had streamlined decor, with a strong minimalist influence (if you like traditional hotel styling you probably will not like the decor).
-Large and well designed room.
-Great design elements throughout the hotel (art installations, furniture, lights).
-Small gym, but fantastic view (helps with the hell of running on a treadmill).
-Helpful staff.
-Complimentary water.
-Complimentary herbal tea (nice quality tea bags) in the room.
-Complimentary coffee (although disappointingly instant) in the room. Given the high price tag of the hotel I expected higher quality coffee.
-Complimentary coffee and snacks (scone like buns) in the lobby area every morning.
-Fantastic bacon (maple syrup smoked), possibly the best I have ever had (and I am a connoisseur) served with room service hamburgers and in basement restaurant.

Cons
-My main issue is the price tag. Given the cost (+US$800/night once you include all the taxes) I expected it to be near perfect. It wasn’t. The interior is looking worn, with the normal wear and tear one would expect a high volume hotel, but not definitely not in a 5 star hotel.
-Busy roof top deck available to the public impacted elevator availability.
-Shower had mold, likely impossible to remove, but still unpleasant.
-Instant coffee! Need I say more?

To Be Aware Of
-Price vs quality.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled with friends
Gissel B, Manager at The James New York, responded to this review, August 8, 2014
Dear Fact_check,

Thanks for the rave review. It seems like you got the full James experience. We pride ourselves on our attention to detail and authentic decor. I’m also happy you enjoyed the environmentally-thoughtful details of The James, including the triple filtered water, and complimentary treats served at The James Club. We hope you return very soon. Thanks again!.. Until your next visit.

Guest Services Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (231)
Zurich, Switzerland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 29, 2014

Great location, nice views, rooftop bar is great, garden is fantastic too, restaurant (David Burke) soso but reasonable, rooms are comfy and well equipped.

Top floor rooms can be quite noisy, plus they don't have any twin rooms.

All in all great choice and reasonable value...

Stayed July 2014
Dear George H,

Thanks for choosing The James for your visit to Soho. It’s great that you were able to enjoy so many of the wonderful features we have to offer. We’re also happy you enjoyed our prime location in Soho. Thanks again. Until your next visit.

Cheers,
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 27, 2014

Was offered preferred guest list status to get into Jimmy's that evening. When we went to go up there. The security would not let us in. Made us stand away for 10 min. and let 3-4 groups of 4-6 people ahead of us even though we said we were on preferred list and showed our room key. We walked away just after midnight. We were treated very poorly by security.

Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple

Review collected in partnership with this hotel

Gissel B, Manager at The James New York, responded to this review, August 1, 2014
Dear Mr. Paul A,

Thanks for taking time to share about your recent visit. More importantly, thank you for your patience and understanding. It’s disappointing to hear that you didn’t have a flawless experience. We strive to improve each day so thank you for the candid feedback. The rooftop bar opens to the surrounding neighborhood in the evening, but guest satisfaction is of utmost importance to us so I apologize that your visit was negatively impacted. We will review your feedback with our team. Feel free to reach out to me directly so I can personally oversee your next stay at jamesnygm@jameshotels.com.

Washington DC, District of Columbia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 27, 2014

I visit NYC often for business and as a PR pro with experience representing high-profile hospitality clients (e.g. hotels, resorts, chefs, restaurants, travel destinations, spas, etc) and after having lived in NYC for almost a decade (moved back to the DC area in 2010), I enjoy experiencing new hotels each time I get back up to visit.

My three day two night stay at The James New York in SOHO was outstanding. After arriving and having to deal with a nightmare with various representatives from Citibank after learning my bank card had been compromised, the staff at The James did whatever they could to make sure that I was taken care of. As I stood in the lobby stressed and frustrated and on the phone with multiple representatives from Citibank, the front desk manager provided me with water and a glass of wine, until I was able to get everything sorted out! After the debacle, I finally made my way up to my suite and was blown away the second I stepped foot into the room. The room was crisp, clean, contemporary, and have sweeping views of the beautiful NYC skyline - my second home! It was my first time seeing the Freedom Tower complete and shining in the distance. One of the former PR agency's I worked for actually did the PR for the architects/designers for the Freedom Tower so I was lucky enough to work some of the events including the groundbreaking. So again it meant a lot that this was the view I got to fall asleep and wake up to. The bed and linens were luxurious and I slept well. Room service was quick and service was extremely friendly. The bathroom was gorgeous and I loved the electronic shade that you had the option of pulling down for privacy or lifting up so you could see the room. I also enjoyed flipping through the book left in the room - 'Humans of New York' - and ended up buying a copy when I returned to DC to remind me how how amazing NYC - my second home is. The day I checked out, I was able to get a late check out and head up to the rooftop pool to enjoy a cocktail and a quick dip. I ordered lunch up there as well. It was the perfect way to end my trip!

This hotel is also well known as a see and be seen property. I learned while lounging poolside on the rooftop that the entire cast of Orange is the New Black had a party on the rooftop the night before. I also heard Derek Jeter had dinner at David Burke - the hotel restaurant - one of the nights I was there. Ahhhhhh NYC :)

Room Tip: Corner suites have mind blowing views of the city, then again, it seems like the majority of the roo...
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled on business
Dear Kyle S,

It’s humbling to receive such a kind review. Thank you for choosing us for your visit to Soho. I’m glad you enjoyed some of the best features of The James, including complimentary amenities at The James Club Sky Lobby, loft-inspired rooms flushed with natural light, and most importantly, our hardworking team members. I’m glad they left you with a positive impression. We look forward to your next stay.

Aarhus, Denmark
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 23, 2014

A perfect 4 night stay in great room.
Helpful and friendly staff. Understated, tasteful luxury in excellent TrIBeCa location. Bathroom with huge size organic shampoo, conditioners and wash creme. Crisp white cotton sheets in lovely bed. Loved The James!

Stayed September 2013
Gissel B, Manager at The James New York, responded to this review, July 29, 2014
Dear RejseReview,

Thanks for the rave review. Our team members strive to go above and beyond so we appreciate you acknowledging all their hard work. You pointed to some of our most unique features, including the loft-inspired guestrooms, and our complimentary in room amenities. Thanks for choosing The James for your visit to Soho. Until your next stay.

5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 21, 2014

Not only is the hotel beautiful and full of amenities (one of the few hotels in Manhattan with an open air rooftop pool), but the staff is first in class. Every single person I encountered was extremely friendly and accommodating. I felt like I was the only person staying at the hotel. I had a party at the JIMMY for 30 or so of my closest friends and then it moved down to the Penthouse. The Penthouse was spectacular. It was was one of the best events I've ever hosted. Perfect way to turn 30!

• Stayed July 2014, traveled with friends

Dear Brian N,

We really appreciate you taking time to share feedback about your stay. I’m glad you had a great time. You pointed to some of our most unique features, including our rooftop pool and JIMMY our rooftop bar. I’m most proud of our team for leaving you feeling welcome. Until your next visit.

Warm regards,
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 21, 2014

We took a 24 hr business trip to SoHo. Contacted the James Hotel and felt right at home. Would highly recommend. Personalized and friendly service. Egger at the front desk was fantastic and Eric in valet/transportation very helpful. Location of hotel made walking in the area easy with many options for dining and snacking.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled on business

Dear Ms. Linda E,

Thanks for taking time to write a review. The James’ prime location is one of my favorite features of the hotel so I’m glad you enjoyed it. Guests avoid the hustle and bustle of Midtown while getting a genuine New York experience in vibrant Soho. But more importantly, thank you for acknowledging Ecker and Eric. They’re huge asset to our team. We look forward to your next visit.