“NYC Nostalgia - Stellar Rooms, Views, Dining & Service at The James New York in SOHO” 5 of 5 stars
Review of The James New York

Autumn Rates From $399
Ranked #116 of 454 Hotels in New York City
Washington DC, District of Columbia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 27, 2014

I visit NYC often for business and as a PR pro with experience representing high-profile hospitality clients (e.g. hotels, resorts, chefs, restaurants, travel destinations, spas, etc) and after having lived in NYC for almost a decade (moved back to the DC area in 2010), I enjoy experiencing new hotels each time I get back up to visit.

My three day two night stay at The James New York in SOHO was outstanding. After arriving and having to deal with a nightmare with various representatives from Citibank after learning my bank card had been compromised, the staff at The James did whatever they could to make sure that I was taken care of. As I stood in the lobby stressed and frustrated and on the phone with multiple representatives from Citibank, the front desk manager provided me with water and a glass of wine, until I was able to get everything sorted out! After the debacle, I finally made my way up to my suite and was blown away the second I stepped foot into the room. The room was crisp, clean, contemporary, and have sweeping views of the beautiful NYC skyline - my second home! It was my first time seeing the Freedom Tower complete and shining in the distance. One of the former PR agency's I worked for actually did the PR for the architects/designers for the Freedom Tower so I was lucky enough to work some of the events including the groundbreaking. So again it meant a lot that this was the view I got to fall asleep and wake up to. The bed and linens were luxurious and I slept well. Room service was quick and service was extremely friendly. The bathroom was gorgeous and I loved the electronic shade that you had the option of pulling down for privacy or lifting up so you could see the room. I also enjoyed flipping through the book left in the room - 'Humans of New York' - and ended up buying a copy when I returned to DC to remind me how how amazing NYC - my second home is. The day I checked out, I was able to get a late check out and head up to the rooftop pool to enjoy a cocktail and a quick dip. I ordered lunch up there as well. It was the perfect way to end my trip!

This hotel is also well known as a see and be seen property. I learned while lounging poolside on the rooftop that the entire cast of Orange is the New Black had a party on the rooftop the night before. I also heard Derek Jeter had dinner at David Burke - the hotel restaurant - one of the nights I was there. Ahhhhhh NYC :)

Room Tip: Corner suites have mind blowing views of the city, then again, it seems like the majority of the roo...
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled on business
Gissel B, Manager at The James New York, responded to this review, August 1, 2014
Dear Kyle S,

It’s humbling to receive such a kind review. Thank you for choosing us for your visit to Soho. I’m glad you enjoyed some of the best features of The James, including complimentary amenities at The James Club Sky Lobby, loft-inspired rooms flushed with natural light, and most importantly, our hardworking team members. I’m glad they left you with a positive impression. We look forward to your next stay.

Guest Services Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (191)
Aarhus, Denmark
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 23, 2014

A perfect 4 night stay in great room.
Helpful and friendly staff. Understated, tasteful luxury in excellent TrIBeCa location. Bathroom with huge size organic shampoo, conditioners and wash creme. Crisp white cotton sheets in lovely bed. Loved The James!

Stayed September 2013
Gissel B, Manager at The James New York, responded to this review, July 29, 2014
Dear RejseReview,

Thanks for the rave review. Our team members strive to go above and beyond so we appreciate you acknowledging all their hard work. You pointed to some of our most unique features, including the loft-inspired guestrooms, and our complimentary in room amenities. Thanks for choosing The James for your visit to Soho. Until your next stay.

New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 21, 2014

Not only is the hotel beautiful and full of amenities (one of the few hotels in Manhattan with an open air rooftop pool), but the staff is first in class. Every single person I encountered was extremely friendly and accommodating. I felt like I was the only person staying at the hotel. I had a party at the JIMMY for 30 or so of my closest friends and then it moved down to the Penthouse. The Penthouse was spectacular. It was was one of the best events I've ever hosted. Perfect way to turn 30!

• Stayed July 2014, traveled with friends

Dear Brian N,

We really appreciate you taking time to share feedback about your stay. I’m glad you had a great time. You pointed to some of our most unique features, including our rooftop pool and JIMMY our rooftop bar. I’m most proud of our team for leaving you feeling welcome. Until your next visit.

Warm regards,
New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 21, 2014

We took a 24 hr business trip to SoHo. Contacted the James Hotel and felt right at home. Would highly recommend. Personalized and friendly service. Egger at the front desk was fantastic and Eric in valet/transportation very helpful. Location of hotel made walking in the area easy with many options for dining and snacking.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled on business

Dear Ms. Linda E,

Thanks for taking time to write a review. The James’ prime location is one of my favorite features of the hotel so I’m glad you enjoyed it. Guests avoid the hustle and bustle of Midtown while getting a genuine New York experience in vibrant Soho. But more importantly, thank you for acknowledging Ecker and Eric. They’re huge asset to our team. We look forward to your next visit.

New York City, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 20, 2014

The James Hotel provides an amazing hotel experience in the very cool, hip SOHO area. The hotel itself is clean, modern and has a great outdoor patio space, a pool/roof deck area, a lounge and various restaurants. The staff is absolutely incredible…from the concierge, reception, bartenders to deck staff. They go out of their way to help in any way they can. We didn't have time to take advantage of all their other services (bikes, spa, etc). I was there for 24 hours with my best friend and they made the experience such a pleasurable one that we plan on making it an annual trip. I truly haven't had this quality of service since my honeymoon at the Four Seasons in Nevis!

• Stayed July 2014, traveled with friends

Dear Mrs. Marni B,

Your kind review is deeply appreciated. Thank you for taking time to share your luxury liberated experience. Our team strives to provide genuine yet unobtrusive service and seeing their hard work pay off with feedback like yours is very gratifying. Hopefully next time you're able to enjoy most of our unique amenities/features. Your recommendation means a lot to us so I wanted to personally thank you. Until your next stay!

All the best,
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 20, 2014

The stratospheric Tripadvisor ratings for The James in New York led us to reserve a room during our most recent trip to NYC at this establishment.

Would agree with reviewers that lobby staff are friendly and helpful, that the hotel is clean, rooms are small but nice with good views, and location is great.

Be warned however that come 3 PM on weekends, the staff opens the rooftop pool to general public. The staff evict hotel patrons from their lounge chairs to make way for the subsequent onslaught of visitors to the pool and bar. The staff unceremoniously also walk around with obnoxious "reserved" signs and place them next to hotel patrons to complete the eviction process. Really poor form for a hotel of this cost.

Probably won't be back.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
Dear booferino,

It’s disappointing to hear that you didn't have a flawless experience. We strive to improve each day so thank you for the candid feedback. The rooftop bar opens to the surrounding neighborhood in the evening but guest comfort and satisfaction are of utmost importance to us so I apologize that your visit was negatively impacted. We will review your feedback with our team. On a bright note, if you’re willing to give us a second chance. Feel free to reach out to me directly so I can personally oversee your stay at jamesnygm@jameshotels.com

Best regards,
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 17, 2014

Visited last september and was an amazing stay! The hotel welcomed us with a luxury feel with a hotel assistant helping us to our room with our bags and they were efficient and great! The view from our room was great especially as we were high enough to see pretty much all of NYC, and loved waking up to see all the yellow taxi's. We visited a bit of new york but were quite tired from the jet lag that day. We went to Jimmy's the next morning for some breakfast and experienced my first pancakes and bacon! We stayed overall for 4 nights and the room was spotless and lovely designed with super cool rolling down blinds to separate the glass bathroom to the bedroom. I would highly recommend the James and also would also say to check out the mexican along the road on the right, they do the best enchiladas!
The pool on the roof was amazing and the views are breathtaking!

Room Tip: We chose a double room and it was impeccable. No faults!
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
Gissel B, Manager at The James New York, responded to this review, July 18, 2014
Dear Heather g,

Thanks for choosing The James for your visit to New York. I’m glad you enjoyed your room. Our corner rooms have the best views. Our team is our greatest asset so I’ll be sure to relay your special mention to them. The James’ luxury liberated approach to guest service strives to be genuine and unobtrusive. It’s great you felt welcomed.

Warm regards,
Guest Services Manager

Been to The James New York? Share your experiences!