“amazing” 5 of 5 stars

Certificate of Excellence 2014
Lexington, Ky.
“amazing”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 18, 2013

i had the most amazing stay while at The James. The rooms were clean, beautiful, and the bathroom was impeccable. Everyone that was working at the hotel while i stayed there was super friendly and helpful. I would definitely recommend this hotel to anyone and everyone.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled on business

Review collected in partnership with this hotel

TheJames_NY, General Manager at The James New York, responded to this review, August 8, 2013
Dear Ms. Emily L,

Your recommendation is deeply appreciated. Thank you for taking time to share about your first stay here at The James. I’m glad your experience was so positive, especially in your interactions with the different members of our James team staff. They are our greatest asset. We are glad you were able to find comfort in the warmly modern guestrooms and look forward to having you as our guest the next time you find yourself in Soho.

Best regards,
Jeff Hentze

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (220)
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 17, 2013

I would recommend The James New York to anyone staying in Soho. It was the perfect place for a long weekend vacation. It is within walking distance of all of the great Soho shops and restaurants. The room was very nice with a comfortable bed and sexy bathroom. The roof top pool area and bar were ideal for lounging and enjoying the views with good drinks and food. Overall the service was very friendly and efficient! We'll be back.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple

Dear Mr. John D,

Your recommendation means a lot to us, thank you. You pointed to some features of The James that make it truly special, some of which include our prime location in Soho, the warmly modern guestrooms featuring a custom privacy screen, food by David Burke Kitchen, and of course the rooftop plunge pool with unobstructed views of Manhattan. We hope to welcome you back for another long weekend. Thanks again.

Best,
Burlington, Ontario, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 16, 2013

Just returned from spending five nights at The James and it was fantastic! special thanks to Michael the doorman for reminding me to check the safe.....passport inside. Also for all of the wonderful e suggestions for restaurants. A wonderful experience, hope to return soon.

Dear Siobhan C,

I am proud that your interactions with our team members left you with such a positive impression. Like Mike, our team members are our greatest asset. Thank you for acknowledging that. It’s great that you also had the opportunity to experience the gem of a neighborhood in which we’re located. Soho is teeming with unique boutiques and eateries. We appreciate you taking the time to share details of your stay. Until your next stay.

5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 15, 2013

This is the first time i have stayed at The James. I was very pleased with the level of Service the attention to detail and the coolness of the whole place. Loved the area. The only Place to stay in NY

Dear Mr. Anthony K,

Your kind review is deeply appreciated. We pride ourselves in our attention to detail. From daily complimentary amenities at The James Club Sky Lobby throughout the day to triple filtered water provided in each room, we strive to provide each guest with a luxurious stay liberated from tradition. We would be honored to continue being your preferred hotel when traveling to New York City. Until your next visit.

Warm regards,
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 15, 2013

We stayed at the James Hotel during our trip to New York City for our 10 year anniversary. It was nice to stay at a location that had easy access via public transportation to all the sights but was in more quaint and personable neighborhood compared to Times Square. The staff was personable and friendly. They also gave us an upgrade on our room (maybe because it was our 10 year anniversary). It may be more expensive than some other hotels in New York City, but for us it was worth it.

Dear Kristina P,

Congratulations! It is so gratifying when guests choose to share special occasions with us. I’m happy to see that our team provided a warm welcome and that you saw the value in choosing The James New York. Our team works hard to make each visit personalized with genuine unobtrusive guest service. Thank you for taking time to provide feedback. We look forward to welcoming you back!

Cheers,
D.C.
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 14, 2013

Just got back from a 4 night stay at the James Hotel in Soho. Had room 609 - corner queen room. Small but everything was well placed and had just enough space for what I needed. Shower was great - but I was wishing for a bath when I was hung over on Saturday. LOL! Anyways - the bed so so comfy, just having a 2 angle view out the window was really great. I think with that kind of view the room feels bigger. I ordered room service several times and each time it only took 15 minutes and my man - Michael - he was the bomb! Too fun! Front desk staff was very helpful - the one thing lacking in the room was actual info about the hotel other than in-room dining. But as I said the staff was great with all of my questions. Loved the wine hour from 6-8, missed the coffee and pastries in the morning and the cookies at 8pm. And bonus - I booked a massage in the garden cabana - its was the best massage of my life. No joke. Total zen. Bogdan Stoia - you are the man! Thanks James Hotel for bringing that guy in to do my massage. Completely worth the price!! And bonus - check out at 2pm. YES!!!! Love that!

Now - I have to say - I really enjoyed the hotel. However, the hotel pool - I tried to go on Wednesday afternoon - but there are barely any lounge chairs and the rest of the chairs are upright chairs. Very stiff for a pool setting. So I decided to get a drink at the bar Jimmy since there wasn't really any place to lounge outside. It was 4pm - and honestly the staff was so rude to me! I was the only customer (aside from a few guests in the outside lounge chairs). When I sat down at the bar the 2 bartenders looked at me like I had 2 heads. It's a hotel! Why shouldn't I get a drink at 4pm?? Anyways - so I took my $16 glass of wine and sat by the window. Meanwhile 3 staff for the evening rolled in and were so loud and obnoxious that I left. So odd! I did not go back to Jimmy. Not worth it at all. The staff sucked.

So I went to the Treehouse bar thinking that might be a better place to chill. Same thing. Getting a drink at a hotel at 5pm on a wednesday is just somehow weird I guess. Don't get it. Again - I honestly felt like I was bothering the staff by making them wait on me. Annoying. So I took my drink up to the Urban Garden where apparently the bar staff can't serve and hung out there before the party I was due to go to. Somehow - The treehouse bar is completely separate from the hotel as is Jimmy (rooftop bar). Personally, and I told the bar staff at Treehouse - isn't it better to all work together? There definitely was a divide between the resturants/bars and the actual hotel. And the Hotel Staff was MUCH more friendly. I'd love to go back to that hotel but I will steer clear of the restaurants and bars. Not worth it. Honestly go to the Cafe Noir across the street. Much better atmosphere - just cash only. But very hip and the staff was actually friendly. Go figure!!

Room Tip: Ask for a corner view. Makes all the difference.
Green Features: I liked them and actually it wasn't in your face environmentally practices. The subtle touch is worth noting. Not one once of luxury was changed because of this.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled solo
TheJames_NY, General Manager at The James New York, responded to this review, July 15, 2013
Dear lib101,

I wanted to personally thank you for the compliments of our team members, James Club Sky Lobby, and luxurious spa cabana, but more importantly apologize for the lapses in service you received from the bars. Missing the mark in providing warm genuine service is atypical and complete unacceptable. Your feedback, though disappointing, is greatly appreciated and allows us to improve. We’re happy you generally enjoyed your stay and hope you reconsider a future opportunity for us to endear you to the hotel.

Seattle, Washington
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 12, 2013

My wife and I had one night in NYC on July 4, 2013 and we wanted to stay in a part of the city where we could get a comfortable place to stay, great shopping and great food. We were referred by friends to The James because of their excellent reputation for providing great rooms and a cool, casual atmosphere with access to SOHO, Tribeca and The Village. We were not disappointed!

When we arrived, Amy at the front desk was very friendly and offered to give us information about the hotel, amenities, the area and that we should contact her if their was anything else we needed. I had mentioned that my wife and I had been married about 6 weeks prior and without even wanting anything, when we arrived in our corner king room, there was a bottle of champagne as well as some snacks with a hand written card from the staff welcoming us to a mini-honeymoon.

The room itself was amazing. We were on the 12th floor and had a unobstructed view of the new World Trade Center "Freedom Tower" - which was lit up Red, White and Blue at night. The beds were fantastic (and we have stayed in Westins, Four Seasons, and Ritz's). I think they had 5 different types of pillows and they were all very comfortable. They have an fantastic mini bar with great Alcohol and compliments and we loved the bobbysue's nuts! The bathroom has a fun see through window (that can be shut for privacy) and the shower head comes down from the ceiling and has plenty of room for two :)

After a great lunch at Osteria Morini and some shopping in Soho, we came back to The James for some free wine and cheese in the lobby. Chris from the front desk advised us to get to the roof top about an hour before the fireworks because he wanted to make sure that we would have a view. He also warned us that we might not be able to see the entire show because a building might be in the way. We got to the rooftop about 30 minutes before the fireworks and we were able to get a great spot on the railing. We were pleasantly surprised with how much of the fireworks we could see - our view was only slightly blocked. They had a DJ playing party music before the fireworks, but then switched to more traditional Americana (Sinatra, etc) for the show. It was awesome!

The next morning we woke up around 10:00 thinking we would check out and grab a bite to eat. I called down to ask about check out time believing it would be 11:00 and Chris said, "anytime between 12:00 - 2:00". That was perfect! We were able to get food, do a bit more shopping and come back, shower and still check out by 2:00. It was like we got two full days and only had to pay for one night. One side note, as we were walking out of our room to breakfast, we pasted a housekeeper who was very pleasant and said, "you don't have to check out until 2:00 - enjoy your day". We just felt like the staff wanted us to feel comfortable and to enjoy the hotel for as long as possible.

When we left, my wife said to me that although we had only stayed one night, it felt like a long vacation. We will definitely be back to the James!!!

Room Tip: The Corner King had an amazing view! World Trade one way and the Hudson on the other...
Green Features: They certainly seemed to focus on being environmentally friendly. Refillable water, eco soaps, ect.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends
Dear Adam k,

Congratulations on your mini-honeymoon! Our team members are our greatest asset so I am extremely proud of them for providing a warm welcome. I thank you on their behalf for the kind compliments. Our rooftop bar JIMMY was probably one of the best rooftops to catch the July 4th fireworks display. I am also glad you were able to enjoy wine hour at The James Club Sky Lobby. We certainly intend for guests to find a home away from home at The James New York and hope the details (i.e. 2 PM check-out, The James Club Sky Lobby amenities, complimentary car service, etc) help convey this. We hope to welcome you back very soon. Until your next visit.

Best regards,
Jeff Hentze

Been to The James New York? Share your experiences!