“Worthwhile jewel in Soho” 4 of 5 stars

Inspired by Spring
Ranked #121 of 463 Hotels in New York City
Certificate of Excellence 2014
San Francisco, California
“Worthwhile jewel in Soho”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 19, 2013

We spent a week in May and were impressed by every facet of the hotel. Nice large and well appointed rooms with modern furnishings and a light cheerful decor throughout. The young staff are friendly and helpful, and there are numerous pluses that make up for the NYC prices: free internet, coffee and muffins for breakfast, the airy gym on the 17th floor and the rooftop Jimmy bar all come to mind.

Room Tip: Higher is better.....
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
TheJames_NY, General Manager at The James New York, responded to this review, May 20, 2013
Dear mojo2014samba,

I am very happy that you were able to enjoy many of the amenities that make The James truly special, some of which include curated art throughout the property, complimentary Wi-Fi, The James Club Sky Lobby, and JIMMY rooftop bar. The best James experiences result when guests take advantage of everything the hotel offers. Our prime location in vibrant Soho is key as well – there is so much to explore. Thank you again for the kind review and we look forward to welcoming you back the next time you find yourself in Soho.

Jeff Hentze

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (220)
Bloomington, Illinois
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 16, 2013

We stayed in NY for five days and had an amazing stay at The James. Last time I was in NY, I lived there, so it was a bit strange to be a 'tourist'. The location is perfect: close to the A,C as well as the major hubs of Canal St. It's right on the border of TriBeCa, SoHo and Chinatown, so there is a ton to do in the area if you wanted to just stay close to 'home'. The Staff at the James was outstanding. They were all truly professional, yet friendly and approachable. Upon check-in, we were pretty early, but the Staff managed to get us checked-in and also upgraded us to a corner Queen. If you know NY, then you know a view is something you pay for, but who really wants a view when you're in the middle of NY: you'll be outside exploring, so don't really need a view. The room was always well-kept and tidy. Yes, it's a bit small, but they do a great job of maximizing the space in the room. Again, this is NY. I've lived in a room that size with three other people, so this was perfect! There is always someone around and we felt very secure. We did not go to the restaurant or Club--just not something we were into. When we checked out, I got into the elevator at 4:30 AM and three revelers were heading down from teh rooftop bar. They were dressed extremely posh (Guys in suits and ties, girl in trendy attire), but absolutely reeked of booze. They looked like they had a good time. So, if you're in NY to explore, hang out and be treated well, stay at the James.

Room Tip: Corner rooms offer a better view, but choose them for being more quiet (away from the elevator).
Green Features: Excellent! The James try to minimize packaging of their toiletries, and there were several lighting options.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear MTKMomma,

Thank you for taking time to provide such kind feedback. We pride ourselves on how we take care of our guests, I’m glad to see that our team’s hard work has shown through. Soho is definitely teaming with restaurants and shops, all of which make our location such an asset. It is wonderful you were able to appreciate the warmly modern guestrooms blending industrial Tribeca and warm Soho. We look forward to having you as our guest again. Until your next stay.

Warm regards,
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 8, 2013

I have stayed at the James in NY a number of times since shortly after it first opened. I continue to be most impressed by the views of the city from even the lower floors. I also very much like the understated simplicity of the hotels design and decor. The staff continues to be friendly and helpful.
I also appreciate the willingness of the management to receive and respond to feedback in a meaningful way.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
TheJames_NY, General Manager at The James New York, responded to this review, May 13, 2013
Dear rfromny,

Thank you for taking time to share a review of your James experiences and for continuing to choose us. I would have to agree with you on the views throughout the hotel – they are simply unbeatable. The rooftop bar JIMMY and adjoining plunge pool open for the season soon and I certainly recommend a return to sunbathe with the backdrop of unobstructed views of Lower Manhattan. Additionally, I am most proud of our team for leaving you with a positive impression. Thank you for the feedback. Until your next stay.

New York City, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 5, 2013

The staff at the James sports an extremely low-key yet maticulously accommodating profile both as individuals as well as a group at large. My stay was mandated by a need to vacate my apartment during the remediation of a water leak that led to some mold growth, and already senstive for some time now, I needed a place short term that wouldn't challenge me further with uneccessary chemical exposures to artificial fragrances etc.Thankfully, the James is of an ilk whereby it prides itself in being "organic" and I have to say, this carries through to the personality of the staff as well. As such, the service went way beyond the usual professionally polite and courteous service to something intuitive and personal whereby I felt not merely well served, but cared for. Each individual member of the James staff, from manager to room attendant, was unabashedly helpful and sympathetic, which left me feeling like I was being treated with real understanding and not merely a show of professional courtesy, Quickly into my stay I felt as if I were surrounded by family, which I find remains highly noteworthy.

(Just an observation for those of you who are mold sensitive; the location was subject to Hurricane Sandy and could be a bit of a challenge if you are so disposed.)

Room Tip: Ask about the corner Kings and Queens. Fabulous coner windows. Get a higher floor for a terrific v...
Green Features: I searched all over the CIty for a hotel that didin't use fragrance and chemically based products. The James is green in that regard.. Evenmore, the staff was very accomodating in not using scented prodcuts of any kind in my room throughout the duration of my stay.
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled solo
Dear Bluepoptraveller,

Your eloquence and kindness is deeply appreciated. Inspired by James the butler, our hotel’s approach to guest service focuses on being genuinely unobtrusive yet bespoke. I am extremely proud of our team for making you feel cared for and welcomed. Our hard work certainly comes into fruition when we receive feedback as generous as yours. Though under challenging circumstances, we are delighted to have welcomed you into the James Family and we look forward to future visits.

Best wishes,
Boylston
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 3, 2013

The James is a pretty special place..We have stayed at a number of properties in New York which allows us to make some pretty fair comparisons.This is our first time staying in Soho and we selected The James Hotel to experience this location.There are a few things that make this hotel pretty special.The service is spectacular.From the moment you meet Eric the bellman,you are confident you made a great choice.We then proceeded to check in and met Chris Westerman and Jessica. I have never received such extraordinary service.Every associate of the James is thrilled to be serving guests and it shows.
We also loved the amenities coffee and scones in the lobby,breakfast at David Burke's(sensational food) wine and cheese late afternoon,and late night snack..all pretty special.The decor was very modern and zenlike and the views were terrific.Top it all off with a rooftop pool and it is the perfect hotel.If I have one observation indicating improvement,it would be that the rooms are a bit small and there is very limited storage space..That limitation is far outweighed by all the special touches at the James.I want to send cudos to hotel Management.Although we have never met,I guarantee you are great to your employees.There is only one way to maintain employees who are so wonderful to guests.The James Management must be wonderful to their employees!!They have created a spectacular work culture!
Have Fun! Cookie Z

Room Tip: Request a corner King studio.I also requested a quiet room
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
Dear Boylston,

I wanted to personally express my gratitude on behalf of The James New York team for your kind review. Our team’s hard work comes into fruition when we receive feedback as positive as yours. Our wonderful Front Office team will truly appreciate the special mention. You pointed to many of the features that make our hotel special, some of which include the warmly modern guestrooms, David Burke Kitchen, and the complimentary amenities at The James Club Sky Lobby. The warm cookies before bedtime are my personal favorite. Again, thank you for taking time to share about your stay. We hope to have you as our guest again the next time you find yourself in Soho.

Warmest regards,
Paris, France
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 25, 2013

The James is a very classy modern hotel. The rooms are very well equipped and bright.

The roof top bar and pool are a nice place to rest during the day and a cool place to have a drink with a superb view on lower Manhattan.

The location is almost perfect between Soho and Tribeca.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear elieliberman,

I wanted to personally thank you for the rave review. You pointed to some features that make The James New York truly special, including the modern guestrooms evoking industrial Tribeca and warm Soho. JIMMY rooftop bar is a wonderful destination to catch the sunset, especially with a craft cocktail in hand. Thank you again and I look forward to welcoming you back for future visits.

Warm regards,
London
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 24, 2013

Stayed in January 2013 and enjoyed it then (see previous review). Returned in April 2013 and enjoyed it again. Central reservations (which are off-site) are a bit of a nuisance (especially if the reservations agent/clerk does not have great familiarity with the hotel) but, apart from that slight hiccup, the experience was very good indeed. Lobby staff are excellent, welcoming and do everything they can to help. Rooms are a bit small (unless you go for a corner room) but altogether good. Location (edge of Soho) is good. Recommended!

Room Tip: At or above 9th.
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
Dear GvKI,

Thank you for continuing to choose The James New York and for taking the time to provide feedback. I sincerely apologize on behalf of our team for the hiccups you encountered regarding the reservations process. That is not typical of the experience we strive to provide but take your sentiments as an opportunity to improve. Nonetheless, I am very happy you had a generally enjoyable visit and welcome future opportunities to exceed your expectations. Thank you again.

Jeff Hentze

Been to The James New York? Share your experiences!