“Very nearly an excellent” 4 of 5 stars

Summer Rates From $269
Ranked #104 of 451 hotels in New York City
GreenLeadersSilver level
England
“Very nearly an excellent”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 10, 2013

I really wanted to give this hotel a 5 star review but they fell slightly short at check in hence the 4 star rating.

I stayed at The James with my husband in Sept/Oct 2012. This was a very special visit to New York as we were there to get married. I had informed the hotel of this beforehand as I needed some recommendations on florists in the area. We arrived at 2pm which is the official check in time and were told that our Corner King Studio room was not ready because they wanted to make some extra special touches to the room for us due to the fact that we were in NYC to get married. They suggested that we wait in the rooftop bar until our room was ready. An hour later we went back to reception and were told again that they were still trying to make the room extra special. We were told that the front desk would call us as soon as the room was ready so we decided to explore Soho a little. Another hour later we still hadn't heard anything so we called the front desk only to be told that the room still wasn't ready. Eventually 10 mins later we got the call and went back to the front desk to collect our keys and officially check in. By this time we were pretty tired but everyone who we dealt with so polite and we felt that their intentions were good so we didn't feel the need to make a fuss. When we got to the room everything was fine but we didn't see why we were made to wait over 2 hours for our room to be ready as there were no 'special touches' evident. Whilst we would never expect anything complimentary just because we were there to get married, it was annoying that they had used the excuse that the room was not ready because they were doing something extra for us when in fact it just simply wasn't cleaned/serviced until over 2 hours after the official check in time. They should have said that the room wasn't ready rather than using our wedding as an excuse.

Positives

-The Staff. Everyone we encountered was extremely polite and helpful. The concierge team did a great job with recommending an amazing florist, organising a dinner in a nearby Soho restaurant for friends and family the day before the wedding and with arranging transport on the actual wedding day. A special mention to Morgan who answered all emails prior to our stay very promotly.
-Corner King Studio room had amazing views of downtown Manhattan. It was very spacious and worth the additional rate.
-Comfy beds
-Powerful and large shower with organic toiletries supplied
-Complimentary filtered water was a nice touch as were the cookies and chocolates at turn down.
-Wide choice of breakfast included in the room rate on an in room dining basis only.
-Room service was always prompt
-Overall feel of the place and contemporary decor made the hotel a very relaxing environment.
-David Burke Kitchen. We dined there in the evening on one occasion and the food was delicious.
-Jimmys bar. Yes the service was a little arrogant but with the view and the delicious cocktails, who cares?
-Complimentary car service/bikes for hire. We didn't use this but thought it was a nice touch.
-Complimentary coffee and pastries in the morning and wine and cheese in the evening.
-Lots of outdoor space
-Location. Close to the subway and the fantastic restaurants and shops in Soho.

Negatives
-The lifts got quite busy in the evenings due to non-residents using the same lifts to get to Jimmys Bar.

Overall we had a truly memorable stay at The James and we hope to return for our 1 year wedding anniversary this year.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
TheJames_NY, General Manager at The James New York, responded to this review, February 11, 2013
Dear Yeemei,

I wanted to personally thank you for sharing details of your time with us. We strive to create unforgettable luxury liberated experiences for all guests but it is especially gratifying to be part of such distinct moments. Congratulations! I want to apologize for the inconvenience you encountered with room readiness. It is an atypical issue but I will relay your feedback to the team. I am very happy you had the chance to experience many of the features that make The James New York special, including JIMMY rooftop bar, David Burke Kitchen, our central location in Soho, daily complimentary amenities at The James Club Sky Lobby, and most importantly our team members. Again, I apologize for the hiccups you encountered and we do look forward to welcoming you back for your One Year Anniversary.

Warmest regards,

771 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (181)
marysville ohio
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 9, 2013

This is a great chic little hotel in Soho. Have stayed several times while on business. Clean comfortable , but small rooms. Nice lobby lounge with wine for happy hour. Friendly staff. would recommend

Dear linda s,

It’s especially critical we hear from returning guests so thank you for taking time to share such a wonderful review. We truly appreciate you continuing to choose The James for your business travels to New York and Soho. Your recommendation means a great deal to us. Until your next stay.

Long Beach, California
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 5, 2013

I was here for four days last week with my husband while he did some business in the area. During the day I was left on my own and the staff was great help. The doormen were so nice when I had a question with what subway to use. I ordered room service 2x for breakfast and Erica remembered my order exactly. She even knew I liked my milk steamed!!! The lobby was great with complimentary cheese and wine in the evenings. I will for sure be returning!

• Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
TheJames_NY, General Manager at The James New York, responded to this review, February 19, 2013
Dear Sabrina S,

Thank you for taking time to share about your stay. I am very proud that our team made such a positive impression on you. We work hard to provide unobtrusive attentive service, like remembering details of your breakfast order. Erica will certainly appreciate the special mention and we look forward to welcoming you back the next time you find yourself in Soho.

Sydney, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 4, 2013

The James is a newly built chic boutique hotel in trendy Soho. We had a fabulous week in chilly January for our honeymoon. Everything about the hotel is great, from the moment we arrived at the trendy lobby, the helpful front desk person, the stylish, but functional room and the glass facade bathroom with electric privacy curtain (generally not used by us). We enjoyed the morning complimentary coffee and pasties in the lobby.

The only downside i found the free Wifi clunky, as i needed to re log in frequently on 2 iPhones and an iPad, as the system drops out after a short period of non use.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
TheJames_NY, General Manager at The James New York, responded to this review, February 5, 2013
Dear Gerry052,

Congratulations on your marriage – it’s such a pleasure when guests share special occasions with us. We constantly strive to provide a luxury liberated experience that exceeds expectations but it’s especially gratifying when we take part in creating unforgettable moments. I am very proud that our team left you and your wife feeling taken care of. Thank you for sharing feedback. We look forward to welcoming you back.

Warm regards,
Washington, DC
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 4, 2013

I stayed here for 2 nights last week for a mix of business and pleasure and had a wonderful experience. The hotel itself is great--love the modern, sleek decor, and the huge windows in the rooms. Unlike the other reviewer, I found the bed very comfortable. The location is, obviously, superb. The real standout was the staff--everyone was so friendly, from the doormen, to the concierge (Morgan was especially great), to the front desk staff, to the housecleaning staff. Loved David Burke Kitchen, too. In short, stay here. You will not be sorry.

Room Tip: I had a deluxe king room, which was airy and big enough for a couple traveling together.
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled solo
Dear ebwbikegirl,

Thank you for writing such a kind review. I’m glad your experience was so positive, and that you felt the comfortable, warm modernism of The James. We take a lot of pride in our hotel and it’s really wonderful to see that work pay off. Morgan will appreciate the special mention. I’m happy that during your stay you got a chance to experience some of what The James has to offer. Again, thank you so much for sharing and we look forward to your next visit.

Warmly,
New York City, New York
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 3, 2013

Stayed at the James a night over the last weekend. The Jimmy, ofcourse we loved. Great views, good cocktails and friendly staff. Room was super small, and the bed was very uncomfortable.. We ordered room service, and the food was very average to the point its below even a dinner food in new york.. Quite disappointing given its a gourmet chef.. I would not stay here, but will visit Jimmy,

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Nycnls,

It is regrettable that we missed the mark in leaving you with a positive impression and that you did not find the guestrooms to be a right fit. I’m happy to see you enjoyed your time at the rooftop bar and we would welcome another opportunity to endear you to the hotel the next time you find yourself in Soho. Thank you for taking time to share about your stay.

Santa Rosa Beach, Florida, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 1, 2013

I travel regularly to NY for work. Last year, I stayed at The James and had a wonderful experience. The service, the staff, the amenities, the room, everything and everyone was remarkable and thoughtful. However, I got it in my head that I wanted to try new hotels on each visit, so on my next few trips, I sampled some other boutique hotels.

This week, I was stranded in NYC for an extra night due to a flight delay. I had our assistant at work contact the James immediately. If I couldn't be home, I wanted to stay in this warm, cozy, friendly place. I felt so defeated by my day as I checked in (having gone to the airport only to be told I could not make it home and a long sad taxi ride back into NYC). Upon check in, the manager thoughtfully offered me a glass of wine and sincere empathy. My luggage was brought immediately to my gorgeous king corner suite with an amazing view. I decided to take myself pity shopping and let me tell you, every single designer or shop you could want is minutes from the James. Upon my return, I ordered room service and enjoyed high end 'comfort food' from David Burke Kitchen. It was as nice a substitute for home as I could possibly have imagined.

It is the little things- both in the room and regarding the staff- that will make this my go to hotel from here on out. The filtered water by the bed, the Intelligent Nutrients products in the shower, the welcoming lounge floor with wine and cheese and great seating, all the way down to the thoughtful personal note attached to my emailed invoice from the desk staff. I will be back in a few weeks and I am looking forward to an amazing 'home base'.

Dear Megan H,

It would be our pleasure to continue being your Soho home base after any grueling or enjoyable travels. Thank you for taking time to share such a positive review. I will be sure to relay your kind sentiments to the team. We strive to provide a luxury liberated experience through attention to detail and genuine unobtrusive guest service. We look forward to welcoming you back the next time you find yourself in Soho.

Warmest regards,
Jeff Hentze

Been to The James New York? Share your experiences!