“nice hotel in Soho” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #145 of 468 Hotels in New York City
marysville ohio
“nice hotel in Soho”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 9, 2013

This is a great chic little hotel in Soho. Have stayed several times while on business. Clean comfortable , but small rooms. Nice lobby lounge with wine for happy hour. Friendly staff. would recommend

• Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
TheJames_NY, General Manager at The James New York, responded to this review, February 11, 2013
Dear linda s,

It’s especially critical we hear from returning guests so thank you for taking time to share such a wonderful review. We truly appreciate you continuing to choose The James for your business travels to New York and Soho. Your recommendation means a great deal to us. Until your next stay.

Jeff Hentze

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (232)
Long Beach, California
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 5, 2013

I was here for four days last week with my husband while he did some business in the area. During the day I was left on my own and the staff was great help. The doormen were so nice when I had a question with what subway to use. I ordered room service 2x for breakfast and Erica remembered my order exactly. She even knew I liked my milk steamed!!! The lobby was great with complimentary cheese and wine in the evenings. I will for sure be returning!

• Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
TheJames_NY, General Manager at The James New York, responded to this review, February 19, 2013
Dear Sabrina S,

Thank you for taking time to share about your stay. I am very proud that our team made such a positive impression on you. We work hard to provide unobtrusive attentive service, like remembering details of your breakfast order. Erica will certainly appreciate the special mention and we look forward to welcoming you back the next time you find yourself in Soho.

Sydney, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 4, 2013

The James is a newly built chic boutique hotel in trendy Soho. We had a fabulous week in chilly January for our honeymoon. Everything about the hotel is great, from the moment we arrived at the trendy lobby, the helpful front desk person, the stylish, but functional room and the glass facade bathroom with electric privacy curtain (generally not used by us). We enjoyed the morning complimentary coffee and pasties in the lobby.

The only downside i found the free Wifi clunky, as i needed to re log in frequently on 2 iPhones and an iPad, as the system drops out after a short period of non use.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
TheJames_NY, General Manager at The James New York, responded to this review, February 5, 2013
Dear Gerry052,

Congratulations on your marriage – it’s such a pleasure when guests share special occasions with us. We constantly strive to provide a luxury liberated experience that exceeds expectations but it’s especially gratifying when we take part in creating unforgettable moments. I am very proud that our team left you and your wife feeling taken care of. Thank you for sharing feedback. We look forward to welcoming you back.

Warm regards,
Washington, DC
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 4, 2013

I stayed here for 2 nights last week for a mix of business and pleasure and had a wonderful experience. The hotel itself is great--love the modern, sleek decor, and the huge windows in the rooms. Unlike the other reviewer, I found the bed very comfortable. The location is, obviously, superb. The real standout was the staff--everyone was so friendly, from the doormen, to the concierge (Morgan was especially great), to the front desk staff, to the housecleaning staff. Loved David Burke Kitchen, too. In short, stay here. You will not be sorry.

Room Tip: I had a deluxe king room, which was airy and big enough for a couple traveling together.
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled solo
Dear ebwbikegirl,

Thank you for writing such a kind review. I’m glad your experience was so positive, and that you felt the comfortable, warm modernism of The James. We take a lot of pride in our hotel and it’s really wonderful to see that work pay off. Morgan will appreciate the special mention. I’m happy that during your stay you got a chance to experience some of what The James has to offer. Again, thank you so much for sharing and we look forward to your next visit.

Warmly,
New York City, New York
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 3, 2013

Stayed at the James a night over the last weekend. The Jimmy, ofcourse we loved. Great views, good cocktails and friendly staff. Room was super small, and the bed was very uncomfortable.. We ordered room service, and the food was very average to the point its below even a dinner food in new york.. Quite disappointing given its a gourmet chef.. I would not stay here, but will visit Jimmy,

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Nycnls,

It is regrettable that we missed the mark in leaving you with a positive impression and that you did not find the guestrooms to be a right fit. I’m happy to see you enjoyed your time at the rooftop bar and we would welcome another opportunity to endear you to the hotel the next time you find yourself in Soho. Thank you for taking time to share about your stay.

Santa Rosa Beach, Florida, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 1, 2013

I travel regularly to NY for work. Last year, I stayed at The James and had a wonderful experience. The service, the staff, the amenities, the room, everything and everyone was remarkable and thoughtful. However, I got it in my head that I wanted to try new hotels on each visit, so on my next few trips, I sampled some other boutique hotels.

This week, I was stranded in NYC for an extra night due to a flight delay. I had our assistant at work contact the James immediately. If I couldn't be home, I wanted to stay in this warm, cozy, friendly place. I felt so defeated by my day as I checked in (having gone to the airport only to be told I could not make it home and a long sad taxi ride back into NYC). Upon check in, the manager thoughtfully offered me a glass of wine and sincere empathy. My luggage was brought immediately to my gorgeous king corner suite with an amazing view. I decided to take myself pity shopping and let me tell you, every single designer or shop you could want is minutes from the James. Upon my return, I ordered room service and enjoyed high end 'comfort food' from David Burke Kitchen. It was as nice a substitute for home as I could possibly have imagined.

It is the little things- both in the room and regarding the staff- that will make this my go to hotel from here on out. The filtered water by the bed, the Intelligent Nutrients products in the shower, the welcoming lounge floor with wine and cheese and great seating, all the way down to the thoughtful personal note attached to my emailed invoice from the desk staff. I will be back in a few weeks and I am looking forward to an amazing 'home base'.

Dear Megan H,

It would be our pleasure to continue being your Soho home base after any grueling or enjoyable travels. Thank you for taking time to share such a positive review. I will be sure to relay your kind sentiments to the team. We strive to provide a luxury liberated experience through attention to detail and genuine unobtrusive guest service. We look forward to welcoming you back the next time you find yourself in Soho.

Warmest regards,
Melbourne, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 31, 2013

My wife and I stayed at The James Hotel for our 10-days in New York. The James was just fabulous and I could not recommend it highly enough. We had a ‘standard’ room on the west side on the 14 floor with a wonderful view. The room was clean, neat and very well-designed for its compact size. The hotel is relatively new and while we raised the average age, we always felt welcome at all times. All the hotel staff were friendly and very helpful. The staff were quick to brave the cold to hail cabs and on a number of occasions confirmed restaurant bookings and other related matters.

The hotel is about 100 metres from a Metro train station (for the Red 1 line), while access to stations for another Metro line are also within an easy walking distance. While the hotel’s address is on Grand Street it is effectively on the corner of 6th Avenue and Grand Street, which makes securing cabs a relatively painless exercise.

The hotel’s restaurant (David Burke) was excellent and the need for a reservation at night was proof of its popularity. We also ate close by on a number of occasions (the Lucky Strike Restaurant and Cipriani Downtown). Balthazar (excellent) for brunch is also within an easy walking distance. The complementary wine and cheese at night was a nice touch, as was the coffee and muffins in the morning before you headed out for the day.

Room Tip: The rooms on the west side have the views and the higher up you are the better.
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear anactbloke,

We appreciate you sharing feedback about your time with us. It is wonderful that you were able to enjoy the warmly modern guestrooms, prime location in vibrant Soho, amenities at The James Club Sky Lobby and David Burke Kitchen. I am most proud, however, of our team for leaving you with such a positive impression. They are truly our greatest asset. Thank you again for taking the time to write a review. Until your next stay.

Best regards,