“Fabulous Downtown Digs” 5 of 5 stars

Certificate of Excellence 2014
New York
“Fabulous Downtown Digs”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 11, 2012

I stayed a night at the James after losing power at home during Hurricane Sandy and can't say enough good things about this place.
The service was very warm, the room was gorgeous, the vibe was great and the rooftop bar and restaurant are terrific.
If you need to spend a night at a hotel in the Soho area, check this place out - it's a treat for the senses.

Room Tip: ask for a high floor so you get great light and views.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
TheJames_NY, General Manager at The James New York, responded to this review, November 13, 2012
Dear nyc345,

Thank you for such a kind review – your recommendation is deeply appreciated. We strive to provide a luxury liberated experience to all guests and to have you feeling welcomed and taken care of during a challenging time means even more to us. We hope to welcome you back under celebratory or leisure circumstances. Thank you, again.

Jeff Hentze

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (220)
Sweden
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 9, 2012

This hotel is such a disappointment. The rooms are ok, we have a Corner Queen with a great bed, nice bathroom but it's not a five star room experience, rather a 3 star+. The view is ok but not super impressive. The location is great, no doubt about it.

Ok, hotel itself is nothing special at all and I've stayed at a quite a few. Now we have the service - hallelujah, TOTAL FAIL. Don't expect anything more than the ordinary. The staff is nice but not trained in a five star fashion, rather a two star.

Check in: I arrived by time for check in and had asked for a high floor room. I was told it was going to take an hour so I said ok. After 30 minutes i was told it was going to take 2 hours so I skipped the high floor. My girlfriend (who hade made the reservation) arrived in the evening. She was told the room was already occupied and then there was that little, but still clear, hint that maybe she was a call girl. No one said that but the way she was treated was to hear discriminating (here we have a woman who has travelled the world and never has experienced anything like that)

Getting an adapter: I had forgotten an adapter and asked for one. They were all occupied by guests I was told but "soon" I would get one. I had a board meeting and needed computer as well as mobile (which I explained) and needed power. If it was urgent I was asked to walk five blocks to buy one (It was snowstorm in NY this day) After two hours and several calls still no adapter. I was now running out of battery and had to stop the conf call. I was upset now and called back but no reaction. When I 15 min later was furious, called and asked them to send someone "to buy 20 adapters for the hotel and I pay for them" it was some action. First when I offered myself to buy for the hotel I got an adapter. Wow, what a five star treatment.......I was calm and really nice up until then.

The remote: After having to stop the board meeting due to no power I thought I watch some tv. does the remote work? Of course not.......and remember we're talking about a five star hotel

The hotel manager: I called the hotel manager but he didn't seem to care at all to be honest.

The James is a hotel that can charge high prices just because their location. I can never ever recommend anyone to stay here unless you need to get really upset. It's an ok hotel but for the same money you can have a really really nice experience somewhere else

Room Tip: Try asking for a high floor but don't expect it....just dont go here :-)
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
TheJames_NY, General Manager at The James New York, responded to this review, November 12, 2012
Dear HasseE,

Thank you for taking time to share details of your recent stay. The experience you had is very atypical and it is highly regrettable that we missed the mark in leaving you with a positive impression. I apologize that our security protocol left your girlfriend uncomfortable but guest security is of utmost importance to us; we are open to reviewing our approach. Luxury liberated and genuine unobtrusive service drives the experience we strive to provide and it is unfortunate you did not find it a right fit. I’d like to gain additional insight and invite you to continue this discussion with me in private by e-mailing me at jamesnygm@jameshotels.com. Thank you for providing a review.

Manila
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 8, 2012 via mobile

I chose The James New York because of its location and interior design. It was my first time in SoHo and took a chance based on TripAdvisor rankings.
And what a great choice!
Service: Michael the bellman was great for tips, recommendations and solutions! The hotel provides a free car service, and Rick the driver was more than accommodating.
Room: Appreciated the eco-friendly features like water in carafes instead of plastic bottle, Intelligent Nutrients toiletries in refillable containers (personal-sized version upon request). Unfortunate that housekeeping changed my towel and bed linen though. The power strip is a thoughtful gesture that a world traveller like myself appreciates.
Loved the bathroom shade!
Food: breakfast at David Burke Kitchen sets a wonderful tone for the day! (Dinner was the most flavorful and satisfying I had on this trip as well.)
Location: SoHo's the best place to explore in NYC!
And these are why am coming back to The James for more.

• Stayed November 2012
TheJames_NY, General Manager at The James New York, responded to this review, November 9, 2012
Dear homewardboundmanila,

I wanted to personally thank you for your amazing feedback of The James New York. I am thrilled to see how much you enjoyed your stay and truly appreciate you sharing details about your time with us. We strive to provide all of our guests with a luxury liberated experience. I’m glad that we were able to provide you with the relaxation you deserve and a satisfying meal at David Burke Kitchen. Michael and Rich will appreciate the special mentions as well. We look forward to serving you again. Until your next stay.

Warmest regards,
New York City, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 7, 2012

Nicely decorated hotel and staffed with excellent employees.

The rooms feature many light modification functions. Great views on the upper floors. The food catering by the restaurant kitchen is also excellent.

ik and JJ
iljalon@aol.com

Room Tip: Ask for a room with a view.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
Dear ILJA K,

Thank you for taking time to share about your recent stay. I am glad you appreciated the warmly modern guestrooms, unique ambiance, and genuine but attentive guest service. I will be sure to relay your kind sentiments to our team members. We look forward to serving you again.

Mount Dora, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 6, 2012

This will be our Hotel of Choice in Manhattan for all future visits. Nothing was less than exceptional, in terms of Location, Quality of Accomodations, and Cleanliness; however, two areas this Hotel stands out in are Service and their Rooftop Bar/Pool Area, not to mention their Star Restaurant and Green Terraces. My wife and I have often found, some of smaller, boutique Hotels, simply try harder, and The James does that and more. The James is the type of accomodation that leaves you trying to change your Travel Plans to stay just one more day!

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear TravelersMMMM,

I wanted to personally thank you for taking time to write such a kind review. I am incredibly proud of our team to have made you feel welcomed and taken care of. You pointed to many great features that make The James truly special: our genuine unobtrusive service, David Burke Kitchen, the Urban Garden, and JIMMY rooftop bar. It would be our pleasure to continue being your preferred accommodations when visiting New York. Until your next stay.

Amsterdam, The Netherlands
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 6, 2012

Visited couple of times since opening. Seems to me that it's following the typical pattern: start of great, get popular, than develop attitude and stop listening to feedback by guests. After sending in a serious complaint after horrendous stay to GM, all I got was a one line reply by assistant front-desk employee and USD 50 to spend on food on my next stay?! No way! I would say, brace yourself for the party weekends, not being listened to and overpaying. Better value for money to be found nearby.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled on business
Dear Palomino020,

Thank you for taking time to share about your recent stay – it is crucial for us to hear from returning guests. It is highly regrettable that we missed the mark in exceeding your expectations and additionally delivered a recovery that left you dissatisfied. I assure you that we sincerely value guest perspective and review feedback on a daily basis. I’d like to gain additional insight and invite you to continue this discussion in private by e-mailing me at jamesnygm@jameshotels.com. Again, I apologize you left with a negative impression. Thank you for providing a review.

Chicago, Illinois
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2012

This hotel is SoHo (South of Houston) - is worth the price. The room and views are great! Definitely for couples, business people traveling alone, or friends who are comfortable being very close.

Hotel rooms in NYC are tiny and these are no exception, but they make the most of the space and room amenities are great! If you can afford it - stay here :) Also, they were very helpful in every way with customer service. The view from the roof bar - Jimmy at the James - is breathtaking. Definitely make your way up there.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled on business
Dear Cassy D,

It is wonderful that our team left you with such a positive impression – we strive to exceed expectations with a uniquely luxury liberated experience so thank you for providing feedback and appreciating our hard work. I certainly agree with you that the views from our guestrooms and JIMMY rooftop bar are unbeatable. I will be sure to relay your kind sentiments to our team members and we look forward to welcoming you back the next time you find yourself in Soho.

Warm regards,
Jeff Hentze

Been to The James New York? Share your experiences!