“Comfortable and Convenient Place in Soho/Tribeca” 4 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Bonus Nights
Ranked #114 of 459 Hotels in New York City
San Jose, California
“Comfortable and Convenient Place in Soho/Tribeca”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 17, 2012

My stay here was paid for by my employer. Room was small (typical for NYC/Europe). Didn't get a chance to try restaurant/room service, but other fellow travellers did and had only good things to say (ditto for the pool/work out rooms on site). In room mini bar was great -- local offerings of food and booze. Pillows/bedding were incredibly comfortable -- wish I had the same at home. Very nice location near unique shopping opps and Metro/subway stations. Had trouble a couple times getting a taxi back to the location -- because traffic in the area at rush hours can be *bad.* Nice people work here ;-)

• Stayed July 2012, traveled on business
The_James_NY_Hotel, General Manager at The James New York, responded to this review, July 20, 2012
Dear lipsticktraces,

Thank you for sharing the details of your most recent stay with us. It’s great to read that the warmly modern rooms and Pantry amenities left a positive impression on you. I have to agree with you on the bed; it is incredibly comfortable. Perhaps you will be able to experience our pillow menu and in-room dining options as well during your next stay. In addition, thank you for sharing photos of our James Club Sky Lobby; it was very well-captured. Thank you again and we look forward to welcoming you back.

Jeff Hentze

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (201)
Sydney, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 16, 2012

In March I had a trip to NYC that was 80% scarred by my hotel choice. The other 20% was caused by missing my flight thanks to being in the longest US Customs queue in history so I made sure that my next stay in NYC would be in a decent hotel. The James more than delivered.

The service - from the moment I was greeted by Christopher and Eric at the door, to the speedy response to accomodate a last minute restaurant reservation, to the super fast room service, the nice surprise chocolates at each turndown service, never was ever interrupted rudely by the housekeeping staff, the amazing amenties from the triple filtered water topped up every day, complimentary coffee & danishes in the lobby every morning, wine & cheese in the afternoon, and super convenient location to Soho, it's worth coughing up the extra bucks to stay at this place. Will definitely be back for my next trip to NYC!

My only complaint is that the aircon was noisy at times in my room (309) from time to time there would be intermittent taps in the air con system whenever the automatic system switched itself off. After my horrendous experience at The Best Western President Hotel (thermostat wouldn't work, leaked into the carpet, hot water wouldn't work one night, zero noise proofing, and this was after 2 room changes) I was willing to put in the earplugs and just overlook it.

Advice - I noticed that on my up to Jimmy, the rooftop bar that the DJ music was very audible from the 9th floor in the elevator. Not sure if it was just because the noise came through the elevator shaft but I would advise to stay on the lower floors, I couldn't hear any traffic besides a very distant siren early in the morning.

Room Tip: Stay on the lower floors, Queen room is good for one person with lots of shopping bags but may be cr...
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled solo
The_James_NY_Hotel, General Manager at The James New York, responded to this review, July 16, 2012
Dear SF5,

Thank you for taking time to share the details of your recent stay. I am elated to read that our staff and wonderful features left a positive impression on you. Our Team is our greatest asset so we take much pride in them. The James Club Sky Lobby complimentary amenities, warmly modern rooms, and our location in the energetic SoHo area are details that make our hotel special so thank you for noticing. We will look into the issues you experienced with your room. Thank you again for the kind review and we look forward to welcoming you back on your next visit to NYC.

Warm regards,
San Francisco, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 10, 2012

Great views in SoHo, excellent roof top bar/pool. Near a metro line, many restaurants and bars near by. When you stay here, bring out your designer labels.

Room Tip: Ask for a corner room looking into downtown.
  • Stayed October 2011, traveled as a couple
Dear Quique02,

I wanted to personally thank you for taking time to write about your recent stay with us. It is wonderful to read that you were able to enjoy many of the great features of our unique property, including the rooftop bar & pool. Great observation in regards to The James ambience – it certainly reflects and embodies the vibrant neighborhood in which we are located, the fashion-forward and art-centric SoHo. Thank you again; until your next stay.

Los Angeles, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 10, 2012

The James Hotel was such a wonderful find. The rooms are modern and give more of an apartment feel than hotel room. We had amazing views and a large window line. I can't say enough about the service at the James. Everyone I came across was so friendly and helpful. You were greeted EVERYTIME you come and go. The staff is so accomodating and you can tell they love what they do. The manager, Mark was very gracious and kind. When I arrived there had been a problem with my room, but they already had it resolved before I arrived and took great care of me throughout my stay. The girls at the front desk (Amy and Jessica) were delightful and fun. I really wish I could remember everyone's names, because each and every staff member deserves to be recognized for their wonderful service. The hotel is close to so many wondeful retail stores, restaurants and bars, as well as one stop on the Subway from the Downtown scene. There's a roof top pool and bar offering a relaxing yet hip environment with amazing views. Don't miss out on this gem of a hotel.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
, General Manager at The James New York, responded to this review, July 12, 2012
Dear hgoyan,

Thank you for the great review. I am elated that you enjoyed your stay with us and glad that our staff could accommodate you and provide a luxury liberated experience. We are very proud of our staff and feel that they are our greatest asset. I will be sure to relay your sentiments to them. It’s also wonderful that you enjoyed the warmly modern rooms, our location in the bustling SoHo area, and the rooftop pool and bar with a 360 degree view of Downtown New York City. Thank you again for staying with us, as always it was our pleasure; until your next stay.

Warm regards,
Paris
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 10, 2012

A boutiquish, cute hotel in a great location. The bar next to the pool on the roof with a great view of the downtown, midtown and NJ.
The service is friendly and helpful. I could not memorize where the lobby vs the restaurant vs exit were, otherwise a great place in SoHo.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled on business
Dear Boobyg1,

Thank you for taking time to write your review. It is great to read that your experience was wonderful, especially in your interactions with our James team members. I am very glad you were able to visit one of The James’ best features, our rooftop bar; the 360 degree view is impeccable. We look forward to welcoming you back for your next stay.

Hong Kong, China
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 10, 2012

Spent the weekend here and it was without a doubt the perfect location. Outside there are many restaurants and bars and it's a neighbourhood you can see yourself living in. It's close to the shops and right next to the subway. It's also just a short walk from Tribeca, Nolita and Little Italy.

The hotel itself is beautiful, loved the art and the boutiquey feel. Rooms were small but really well put together with great finishing. Loved the bed, the most comfortable bed during my 2 week stay there, also offers a pillow menu. The rain shower and the products were amazing, also loved the mini-bar and the slippers. It's the little touches that make the difference. The hotel food and drinks were great and it's without a doubt a place you'd want to hangout and people watch.

The only negative was that the pool was packed with non-guests and the lifts take ages to come.

Room Tip: Choose a room higher up and book through Mr and Mrs Smith
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with friends
Dear Mei88,

I just wanted to thank you for taking time to share about your here at The James. I’m so glad your experience was positive, especially in your observation of the details that make our hotel truly special and luxurious. I have to agree with you on the bed – they are incredibly comfortable – and the warm modernism of our guestroom aesthetic, everything from the eco-conscious bath products to our pillow menu. We look forward to your next stay with us so you can continue to explore SoHo and find a rejuvenating escape in our hotel. Thank you, again.

Upstate
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 9, 2012

We were at the New Yorker and being treated like dirt (that's for another review), so I whipped out my smartphone and did a quick search hoping to find another hotel with immediate availability on a Friday evening. The Karma gods were on our side and we locked onto the James Hotel. The fabulous experience began at the door with the fastest most welcoming doormen on the planet. Check-in was immediate (we waited over an hour in line at the New Yorker, no lie) and during the check in process we heard words like wine, cheese, fresh baked, chocolate chip, pool, and I felt the stress slip from my day. The security is well maintained at this establishment, Thanks for that. Our corner room was modern with a large bathroom with rainshower/handheld combo and all amenities and ice cold A/C; really needed on the 90 degree day. On the 6th floor there was no street noise. We visited the pool area at different times of day and night but enjoyed it best in the morning before it was open to "Jimmys" bar -- that scene was strange by our standards. Very difficult to get a drink yet everyone seemed intoxicated. We headed up at sunset in the hopes of drinks with a view but couldn't get near the bar or find a space on the roof. The pool was filthy from who knows what happened since the morning. The general public takes this space over and this puts the hotel guests on the sidelines. No big deal, we just left the pool area to the riff-raff. The staff is all around wonderful.The neighborhood has deli, shopping, art, and so much more within walking distance and there is a subway stop about 20 steps from the southeast corner. We have made this our destination hotel for the next trip. Also, they operate on a eco philosophy which makes this hotel a total package.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
, General Manager at The James New York, responded to this review, July 10, 2012
Dear whiteiris787,

Thank you for taking time to share the details of your stay. I am extremely happy to read that your last-minute change of travel plans led to a serendipitous experience here at The James. Thank you for being gracious to our rooftop bar opening to the neighborhood during the evenings. I would have to agree with you that the complimentary coffee & pastries, fruit, wine & cheese, late night cookies by David Burke Kitchen served at the James Club Sky Lobby are great features of the hotel. It would be our pleasure to continue being your best kept secret and preferred accommodations in the vibrant SoHo area - until your next stay.

Jeff Hentze

Been to The James New York? Share your experiences!