“Comfy overnighter” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #291 of 463 Hotels in New York City
Stratford Upon Avon
“Comfy overnighter”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 11, 2013

Spacious,clean,comfortable room with super king bed,good shower and efficient aircon. Close to china town(scruffy and dirty)but also close to the more atmospheric Little Italy. We stayed overnight prior to going on a road trip. If staying longer in New York you,d do better staying further uptown in order to have walking access to the main sights

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (281)
New York City, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 7, 2013

First off, don't get me wrong - this is not a luxurious property, and anything on Canal Street is going to be kind of loud. It's a discount hotel in downtown Manhattan and the rooms are far from the best you'll ever stay in. But that said, they're clean, they're new, and the service is great for this type of hotel. Extremely friendly lobby staff who offer you a bottle of water when you're on your way out the door. If you're a return visitor, they'll try their best to put you in the same room and do what they can to accommodate early check-in. I definitely prefer it to the Hilton Garden Inn down the street, which is competitively priced.

Stayed July 2013, traveled on business
Washington DC, District of Columbia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 5, 2013

Travelled from DC to NYC and stayed at this wonderful hotel in August, I loved coming home to see the nice note left by my housekeeper.

The location was perfect, very close to all the shops, the beautiful view of the hudson and not to mention holland park. The hotel is right across the train station which make things so convenient. I will certainly stay there next time I am in NYC.

If you are looking for a hotel closed to everything, beautiful and where you can sleep at night in peace. This is the place.

Room Tip: Explore the area.
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
New York City, New York
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 5, 2013

Completely agree with the reviewer who refers to the neighborhood as "seedy." Do not even try to find a place to eat nearby...unless you're seeking McDonald's. On the plus side, the lobby is bright and comfortable with wi fi; the $16 breakfast buffet is worth it and pretty good; the room is clean and quiet. BUT, I was given a room (#704) that was beyond "cozy" and was downright tiny. For nearly $400 a night, I did not expect something so small. I took a picture of the space between the door and bed and posted it to Facebook: 18" is the space I had to work with! If the closet door is open, you are unable to cross the room to the other side. Crazy. I will not stay here again and do not recommend it.

Room Tip: Avoid #704.
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled on business
Shanghai, China
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 4, 2013

I booked through Hotwire not knowing which hotel I will get until after I pay for the hotel. I wanted a 4 star hotel near the TriBeCa area. So I was pleasantly surprise when I found out I was given the Sheraton TriBeCa. I knew that the Sheraton hotel chain has a good reputation. But it turned out to be a total disappointment. First of all, when i called for direction to the hotel, i was told by the hotel receptionist that they were located on Canal Street and by the Hudson River. Wrong! It took me, what should had been a 15 minutes walk from the NY Municipal Building to the hotel, over 50 minutes on a hot humid day to find the hotel. Please be aware that the big traffic circle leading to the Holland Tunnel breaks up Canal Street from different directions, and the hotel is not by the Hudson River as I was told, but is by Wooster Street. Finally when I arrived with a friend, I was told by a not so friendly receptionist that all rooms were fully booked so my prior request (which I've made weeks ago) for twin beds was not available. Okay, as long as it was a non smoking room, I could live with that, after all, what choice do I have since it was Labor Day weekend, and I did get the discounted room through Hotwire. It was not my intention to spend all my time in the hotel anyway. That evening after a long day of sightseeing, I was looking forward to a nice hot shower and a comfortable bed. I have to admit the room although small, was clean as was expected for a 4 star hotel. But I was surprise to find that there was only one bath towel in the bathroom. ONE BATH TOWEL for a room with double occupancy! I called the receptionist to ask for more bath towel. And was blown away when they said they were short in bath towels and that one will be sent up as soon as they can get hold of extra towels. Can you believe this happening in a 4 star hotel! So I got to use the one towel left in the room while my friend waited patiently for more towels to be delivered. After half an hour of waiting, my friend called the receptionist again and was told the same situation. Another hour passed and again the same excuse. Finally around 11 pm my friend called a third time and asked that if they could at least deliver some hand towels to the room so that she could use them as bath towels. They readily agreed to do so. But none came. So my friend, tired of waiting, had to use the hand and face towels that were in the bathroom. No wait, they did keep their promise, because around 12:30 a.m. While we were fast asleep, there came a knock on our door waking us up, and behold, service presented us with hand towels. But wait, that was not the worse. The worse was the incessant noise outside in the hallway throughout the night. We did not find out until the next day that it wasn't even hotel guests that were making the noises, but the hotel staff. It turned out there was a service staff room right across from our room, and the staff were in and out of that room talking loudly with total disregard for the guests sleeping behind closed doors. As if that wasn't bad enough, Aound 3:30 a.m. the room message phone rang for no apparent reason. The next morning when I complained to the receptionist, all she said was "oh, that can happen to signify the phone is running out of battery." Can you believe this???when I told the receptionist all the problems we had the night before, all she said was " Oh I'm so sorry to hear that you had such a bad experience." And that was the end of that! What I want to know is did all this happen because we booked through Hot Wire and that the hotel felt they had no need to be accommodating because our rate was discounted? This was the first time I booked through Hot Wire and the first time I stayed at a Sheraton Hotel. In any case, I will not use either for my future bookings.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with friends
Charlottesville, Virginia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 3, 2013

This hotel is technically in TriBeCa, however, it's on the edge and the main street for the entrance to the hotel is a little seedy. But, that's new york.

I found the room well-stocked, if small. The bathroom was modern and well equipped. They were kind of stingy in giving us towels - we only had two in the room to begin with. Our TV did not work the first day and we had to have maintenance come fix it, which was annoying. However, when we asked for more towels or maintenance they were very prompt in their resolutions of the problems.

The elevators were incredibly slow, and I think one was actually broken during our time there. We were on a very high floor so there was minimal street noise. However, we didn't get a very good view - ask for a room on the North or NorthEast side to get the best views.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Milan, Italy
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 3, 2013

The hotel is situated on Canal Street with subway station at walking distance. In few hundreds meters you can get Broadway and West Broadway (the South entrance). It is also not far from downtown and to middletown. The service is fair for the price paid and also the hotel facilities are in line with value proposed. The staff is enough friendly. This hotel can be a fair choice is you wanna stay in NY without spend too much.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled on business

Been to Sheraton Tribeca New York Hotel? Share your experiences!