“Horrible, Horrible, Horrible...” 1 of 5 stars

Ranked #277 of 459 Hotels in New York City
Newport Beach, CA
“Horrible, Horrible, Horrible...”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 21, 2013

Let me first say that I actually signed up for an account on tripadvisor just to review this hotel - that's the kind of impact they left on me. This is going to be a long review so I apologize in advance.

My husband and I are Gold Starwood members. We choose to stay at only Starwood properties all over the world because we love Starwood's member services and have always had great experiences at every Starwood property we've stayed at... until now. Please keep that in mind as you are reading my review.

My husband is in the sports business. We had planned a media tour with some of our athletes and had most of our appointments in the TriBeCa area. We usually stay at the Sheraton Time Square but because of our back to back appointments near SoHo, we went online and booked 5 rooms at the TriBeCa Sheraton. In full disclosure, we booked rooms that were non-cancellable - Big mistake, I get that.

Four days before our scheduled trip, our itinerary did a full 180. Due to this drastic change, 2 of our players were no longer scheduled to come and 90% our meetings were rescheduled in Midtown. The second we found out, we contacted this hotel immediately and asked if there was anything we could do to transfer to a different property or to even receive credit for future travel.

One of our staff members called and spoke to a manager named Cornelio, who said they would have to get back to us. This was on a Thursday. (We were arriving late Sunday evening). After a couple of emails, there was no real response, so I decided to call myself on Friday to see if I could expedite our process of getting answers. Spoke to the night supervisor Maria (whom I have to say was the only person during this whole ordeal who took our concerns seriously) and told her about our situation. She told me that Cornelio was off for the weekend and would have to get back to me. Mind you, we were arriving Sunday night and didn't know which hotel we would have to stay at. As someone who came from management in the service industry, you don't take a day off. You may not physically be at work, but you should always be a phone call away for any emergency situations that arises. STRIKE 1.

After several phone calls with Maria, she was finally able to get ahold of Cornelio and told me that a decision couldn't be made until Monday when that hotel manager was in. At this point, we had no choice but to stay in TriBeCa and commute back and forth from Midtown to attend our meetings. I asked Maria about canceling just the two rooms then and getting credit to future travel, but she told me again that it was up to manager. When I expressed my frustration in the lack of follow up, she understood and wished that she could help me more. I told her that this was a very special circumstance and I wasn't asking for money back if it couldn't be done, I just wanted credit. STRIKE 2

When we arrived at the hotel, the hotel staff informed us that we had been upgraded to one of the nicest rooms in the hotel. It was a pleasant surprise. Thankful, we went up to our room and was blown away by how small it was and how run down it looked. I was so surprised by how a Starwood hotel could look like this. You could literally walk maybe 10 steps from one side of the room to the door. The bathroom (which reeked of mildew, mind you) wasn't even big enough to fit two people standing side by side at the same time and in order to use the restroom, you had to step aside to close the door. It was awful. I can not even imagine how terrible the room our Olympian stayed in was. I was utterly embarrassed. STRIKE 3

On Monday, after a full day of meetings, I finally got back to the hotel and asked to speak to Cornelio, who I thought was going to have an answer for me on the credit. He basically told me that he couldn't get back to me because the hotel manager had to give the approval. SERIOUSLY?! To me, when someone says they need to get approval, that means under special circumstances, it's possible. Don't you? When I told Cornelio that we would have checking out the next day to fly to our next destination and wanted to speak directly to the hotel manager, he mysteriously was in 'meetings' all day and said he would have to "call me back". Needless to say, I didn't receive a phone call that day and didn't hear back until we were mid air to our next stop. He left a message basically saying he was out of the office that afternoon and was unwilling to issue any credit but when (yeah, sure) we stayed there again, he would try to "assist in offsetting some of the cost". STRIKE 4.

To top this all off, we requested late checkout (2pm) because we had more meetings in midtown in the AM and wouldn't be able to get back in time. At first they told us they would have to CHARGE us for late check out. As if they didn't already charge us enough! After talking with yet another manager and finding out we were gold members, they finally allowed us to late check out 2 or our 3 rooms. STRIKE 5

We will never stay there again. Not only because of the lack of attention received by management, but also because the rooms were small and unkept and the bathrooms smelled like mildew. In all fairness, they are located in a good location, but I would rather stay farther away than ever go back to this property. $1300 lesson learned.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (265)
Singapore, Singapore
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 20, 2013

I usually stay at the Four Points Sheraton in Soho which is about a 15 minute walk away. Four Points is a step lower on the Starwood portfolio (simpler but "high value") but checking into this Sheraton I really saw little difference between the two brands. This is a relatively new property but with little character - cookie cutter, out of the box, bland hotel. I have no idea what the Sheraton brand is all about in the US. They are premium in Asia but so hit and miss average in the US. Shocking. They also charge for internet here where Four Points doesn't.

Ya, ya, so what about this hotel .... what can I say? It's pretty average. It's a clean room in a rather ratty location but the staff is nice and it's decent. So, if you get a good price, why not?

Despite checking in with my gold card, I still got the worst room located just outside the elevator. In fact, I could reach the elevator button standing in the room. Good luck to try to get some sleep. Room was small and simple. No umbrella in the closet, basic amenities. Take a look at my uploaded picture - what's missing? What kind of maintenance do we have here?!

I used the fitness room twice and it's a bit of a joke but not the worst that I have seen. Some lonely dumb bells but limited room to use them. Some pretty soak sweat cardio machines. Towels ran out, I called for more, after a one hour work out, they still didn't arrive.

So this hotel is pretty average, basic and nothing special. If you got a better deal elsewhere, go for it!

Room Tip: as high up as possible and away from the elevators!
Istanbul, Turkey
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 18, 2013

I would recommend this Hotel because it satisfied all of my needs. It is 5 minutes to the metro, room was lux, very clean, nice sheets and bed.
By the way it has a special room in case you want to leave your baggage.

Room Tip: You can ask for a room with view
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Toronto, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 18, 2013

This was our second stay at this hotel in 6 months. We liked it enough to come back another time. The location has excellent access to most of the city's subway lines. It is close to Soho, Chinatown, Little Italy and more. A drawback is the location on Canal street which is a busy thoroughfare with cars honking at all times but it didn't seem to bother us at night. I also really liked the proximity to La Colombe coffee shop just around the corner. Amazing coffee.

The rooms are very comfortable and seem to have received a recent update. On this stay, we were in room 817 which faces Canal and even though its on a lower floor, it had a decent view of the rooftops of Soho. It was large by NYC hotel standards, small everywhere else. The bed was very comfortable. The room was clean. The bathroom was of decent size and nicely laid out. AC unit was quiet.

Wifi is available free in the lobby only. Wifi in the room is an extra fee.

Great friendly staff. Would definitely return.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Zagreb, Croatia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 16, 2013

Really beautiful hotel! Rooms are nicely decorated, very clean and spacious, the king size bed is really big and comfortable, bathroom is also very nice! Underground stations are close to hotel, so you can get anywhere in a short time, and Canal street is perfect if you wanna walk & explore Tribeca, SoHo, Chinatown or Little Italy. There is also a Starbucks coffe in the lobby and lots of food shops near hotel. Staff is the best hotel staff in the world, they were extremely nice and helpful! Sheraton Tribeca is my favorite hotel, and I would strongly reccomended it to anyone who wants decent and not so expencive hotel in NYC

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends
Sydney, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 14, 2013

Great hotel, stayed here for 1 night before leaving on a tour. This was the hotel our tour was leaving from. The lobby was completely organised so we knew exactly where our tour guide was and who could help us.

Our rooms were small but beautiful, the bed was comfortable. We did book a room with 2 double beds and didnt get it, but that was our travel agents fault, not the hotels.

Internet ran smoothly and was a great connection.

All in all a great hotel not far from Little Italy or Chinatown.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
Halifax, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 10, 2013

Stayed here for 2 nights in early June '13 while on a business trip to NYC. I arrived early and didn't expect to be able to check-in. Not a problem at all - the front desk staff were super helpful and extremely efficient. My room was on the 20th floor - King Size bed, plenty of room, nice and clean and certainly a refreshing change to get a NYC hotel room that was a decent size! There is a Starbucks coffee stand towards the back of the lobby of the hotel and a decent sized bar area. Room service was quick, food was great and all in all, I would certainly recommend this hotel for anyone staying in this area of Manhattan as the transport links are good and the hotel is one of the best I've stayed in.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled on business

Been to Sheraton Tribeca New York Hotel? Share your experiences!