“A Real Downtown Find” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #291 of 449 hotels in New York City
Los Angeles
“A Real Downtown Find”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 30, 2012

This is truly a great location and a gem of a hotel. This hotel will meet all your expectations. The service is fine. The rooms are fine. There are minor glitches like running out of umbrellas. Hey!I It's NYC, You can always pick up one on the street for a few bucks. I don't know what the bad review people were expecting, but this is a superior NYC hotel.

• Stayed January 2012, traveled on business

1,002 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (220)
Doha, Qatar
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 30, 2012

My husband and I stayed here for 7 nights mid January. We were initially given a room for the physically disabled, however quickly moved to a different room once we mentioned we were physically able and would like a full height shower. We were told the initial room was the one assigned to us as we had booked through Hotwire.

Our new room was fabulous - room 1220 - had an Empire State view. It was facing Canal Street - we never had an issue with street noise.

The room was a good size. Kept nicely cleaned throughout our stay. The TV has limited channels. The bed was comfy, the air conditioning good and quiet.

Canal Street is very busy - this was not an issue for us. The hotel is in a great location within walking distance to a lot New York has to offer. Ther are also 3 subway stations very close by that enables you to get to the rest of the city easily.

We did not eat in the restaurant. It was the only one in our 2 week stay in New York that we saw with a C grade rating (the lowest possible). With all New York has to offer we refused to eat anywhere that had a grade lower than A.

The staff were helpful. Beware of the concierge/porter guys that arrange town cars. We sat waiting for our ride to the airport for quite some time and observed many guests come to enquire about transport options in the freshly-fallen few inches of snow. We observed the guys high-fiving each other as someone agreed to a high rate. Either know your rates or haggle if using the town cars - or get a taxi.

San Jose
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 29, 2012

i cannot remember the last time i paid this price for a hotel room in NYC area. Maybe right after 9/11 with a 50% off from priceline? so I was a bit skeptical about this hotel but it turned out to be a pleasant surprise. It is not exactly in a touristy location but A,C,E and 4,5,6 metro stations are within 5min walking distance, so just a hop away. The lobby, elevator, and hallways are clean and well maintained. As a Platinum SPG I was upgraded to a balcony room on the 2nd floor. The room was rather small, just enough for a king bed and a work station along the wall, but this is NYC after all. It was at least very clean - comfortable bed and decent sized shower. The private balcony, though almost as big as the room itself, only provided view of another building but could be a nice spot for a glass of wine at night. I believe only 2nd floor has some rooms with private balcony. The SPG lounge on the 21st floor has a nice view of the hudson river. Morning breakfast at the lounge was a bit ho-hum but I did not expect more for a Sheraton in the US. Overall it was a bit better than average and at $109/night a very good deal! The only major complain I have is the sound proof quality of the room, or at least in my room. I could hear everything coming from the next door. Unfortunately the guests went to bed early, otherwise I would have to call the front desk to complain.

Boston
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 28, 2012

As far as NYC hotels go, this one is at the top of my list. I've stayed at many NYC hotels where the rooms are cramped, the hotels are old and in many cases outdated and you pay through the roof. HOWEVER, this Sheraton is unlike all the other NYC hotels I've stayed at. The reason...it's brand new! This Sheraton was built from the ground up just a couple of years ago, so everything is still new and fresh.

The Rooms: The suites are very spacious and the regular rooms while a little cramped (like most NYC hotels) they are very clean, crisp and modern.

The Staff: The front desk staff is excellent. Very helpful and knowledgeable. However, the concierge gentleman that I dealt with was not very helpful. He seemed like he couldn't be bothered.

The Location: Not ideal if you have business in mid-town, but, it is very close to the subway (multiple lines) that can get you to mid-town fairly quickly. I love this location b/c I love Tribeca. There are some great restaurants in this location and boutique shopping. Tribeca for me at least, is also more manageable and easy.

Overall, good property, great value and my go-to hotel in NYC.

• Stayed January 2012, traveled on business
seattle
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 27, 2012

Can't beat Tribeca location. This is absolutely dead average. The room quality is a little inconsistent but by and large you won't' make a huge mistake staying here, unless you are paying over $300/night. In that case you can definitely do better elsewhere. It's basically clean, the bed is comfortable. The food in the club room is Jenos party tray style so if you like that you're fine. Room service food also tastes frozen, so if you are a foodie, there are better hotels in the same price range. There are some very good folks on the Bell staff and a few good people at the front desk and that's what lifts this poor to average.

• Stayed December 2011, traveled on business
NYC
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 24, 2012

Booked a room here 2 Fridays ago because I did not want to take the subway home late at night.

Room was very small, but very fresh and clean. Nice bathroom amenities. My partner and I used the room strictly to get some rest. We did not use any of the hotel amenities.

In my opinion, this is a 3 to 3.5 star hotel, not a 4 star.

Ellicott City, Maryland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 24, 2012

I stayed at the Sheraton Triceca on Friday January 20th (my birthday). I have stayed at this hotel five or six times before. I had previously reviewed it and was not going to again, until I read a review by Vivaladiva 1. First about my stay, it was even better than before. I am a Hilton Diamond member and I could have used points and stayed at a Hilton, but I have stayed at most of them in the city and I chose the Sheraton Tribeca over all of them. I did not want the hustle bustle of midtown and this hotel is a short cab ride or easy subway ride from midtown. I brought my wife and dog on the trip. My wife was so impressed with how well she slept that she asked me to find out what type of mattress they used. They set up a dog bed and dog dishes which was a nice touch. My wife had mentioned that it was my birthday and the staff all signed a card and sent up some drinks and snacks for us. I love the location as it still has the energy of the city without most of the congestion (except at rush hour). There is a parking garage right across the street (on a side street) which is convenient. We ate at a great Italian restaurand a few blocks away and went to the Blue Note Jazz club that evening. A perfect weekend with great service and a great room in a wonderful location.

I was shocked to see the review by Vivaladiva 1. Sure, I had to wait five minutes to check in (seemed like 20), I would expect that in a popular hotel with good rates (as she mentioned). To have had a bad experience is possible, but three bad experiences at this hotel is highly unlikely. To give this hotel one star (actually a circle) just blew me away. I would guess that "La Diva" never gives more than three circles for any experience. Unfortunately she went over her credit limit on here charge card because other hotels had put holds on her card (come on now, I stay in hotels 70 nights a year and this has never happened to me). She gives them a credit card which is no good and she blames the hotel for not accepting it. She offers to give them cash. If you owned a hotel would you want this person staying there? I think Trip Advisor should remove reviews like this that are obviously someone's way of venting for a bad experience that they caused themselves.

I never wrote something bad about a previous review before, but boy it feels good to defend a place that has made me feel so welcomed when I have been away from home. I hope you will not head her review but rather read the other reviews from people like myself who have nothing but positive comments for this special place.

Room Tip: If you need a cab at rush hour, walk two blocks to 7th avenue, it will be easier.