“Best kept secret in NYC” 5 of 5 stars

You added Sanctuary Guest Suites to your Saves list
Sanctuary Guest Suites
196 A Stanton Street, New York City, NY 10002   |
Perth, Western Australia, Australia
“Best kept secret in NYC”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 21, 2013

I was pleasantly surprised when I stayed at the Stanton St Sanctuary. I will definitely be staying there next time I go to NYC. The apartment I had (Rama) was spotless, the beds were super comfortable and overall spacious. There is also a free yoga session thrown in and breakfast.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled solo

116 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (24)
Istanbul, Turkey
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 22, 2012

We stayed at SGS twice, both times we loved it. The location is great. There are very nice restaurants around the hotel and it is in a very beautiful part of NYC. Each room/flat comes with a comfy queen bed, stylish French doors that separates the bedroom from the living area, kitchen with culinary amenities, a nice bathroom with organic soaps and shampoo that I love and beautiful Indian folk art decorations. We stayed in Shanti Suits and Nirvana room. They were both spacious, spotless clean and lovely! Everything was as is shown in the photos. The building is an old red-brick NY style one and very cozy and quiet. The next building is the Hell Angels' building, but we haven't seen them much around.(Just make sure not to sit on their bench in front of their building!) The breakfast was included but do not expect a big one, it's simple, usually organic and vegetarian/vegan style food. But there are amazing breakfast places all around the East Village. Recently SGS opened a new branch in Stanton Street which we'll be visiting soon. Great place to stay!

• Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple
Vancouver
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 2, 2012

I stayed here multiple times now and this is my go-to when in NYC. I was actually one of the first guest who checked in when they first opened!
So far I have stayed in Govinda, Rama and Sita. Govinda is still one of my favourite, it is spacious (easily accommodate up to 5-6), with full size kitchen, comfy queen bed and duvets, even the pull out couch are firm and comfy. Although staff is not on site 24/7, they are responsive and house keeping is excellent. Only shower in the bathroom which is okay. Location is perfect. price is reasonable for NYC standard.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled with friends
Stinson Beach, CA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 26, 2012

Negative reviews of the Nitay apartment had me concerned, but one look at our big, comfortable rooms made me quite pleased. It was perfect for us. Two double beds, separated by French doors, plus a pull-out futon; lots of closet space, full kitchen. Simple, attractive decor with exposed brick walls. It's a push to get up the 3 flights of steep stairs, so this apartment is not for everyone, but we loved it. We stayed during the week and noise was not a problem. As so many have said, Zach and Vishnu couldn't be more friendly or helpful. The neighborhood is fascinating & trendy, with lots of small shops; we enjoyed being next to the Hell's Angels HQ, dedicated to one Big Vinny, whose motto, "when in doubt, knock 'em out", is written on a plaque over the door.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
Oklahoma City, Oklahoma
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 25, 2012

We stayed at the location at 196A Stanton St. Our room was 'Om' and it looked just like the photos on their website. Everything was spotless and we had a good amount of space in our room. Plus we had a full kitchen and good size bathroom with full size shower. We paid $229 a night for our room and for NYC, it was an amazing price. It was a little bit of a walk to the subway when you consider we probably made the trip two times each day, but it's only a 5 minute walk. The rooms all seem to be on the 2nd floor, so there was street traffic noise, but again it's NYC. Those are the only negatives and for that, it's still a fantastic bargain. The bed is super comfortable, too. The room also has your own heater/air conditioning unit that you can control. Plus having a full size coffee maker in the room was especially nice. There is a liquor store one block away and lots of good restaurants within walking distance--Katz's Deli and The Meatball Shop were two that we tried, plus there is good local pizza 2 blocks down the street. I would definitely stay here again.

Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Perth, Western Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 12, 2012

My husband and I and another couple have just spent a week in 2 apartments Chakra and Om at 196A Stanton St,in the lower East Side. Apartments on second floor and there is a lift.
Location: on a quieter area of Stanton St, opposite a Deli and close to lots of restaurants, cafes, bars and shops. This is a residential area so you can live like a local which is a lot of fun. The apartment is a short walk to main roads to catch a cab, bus or train. Also close to the East Village which has fantastic restaurants and bars.
If looking for a good coffee try Tiny's Giant Sandwich shop in Rivington St.
Great restaurants in area are The meatball Shop, Katz's Deli for lunch, Inoteca, Spitzers, Mission Chinese, Sauce to list a few. Also great cupcakes at Sugar Sweet Sunshine Bakery on Rivington.
Apartment: Large clean with lovely decor, comfortable queen bed, pillows a bit lumpy.
TV, Wi Fi which worked off and on in our room, very frustrating works better near the lift or downstairs.
The kitchen is large and clean with all mod cons which we did not use, fridge large but very noisy especially at night.
Bathroom small and clean all you really need though, shower hot with good water pressure.
Breakfast : basic, cereal fruit,juice and breads the same each day.
All in all this was a very good place to stay in the LES and the staff were very friendly and helpful.
I would recommend these apartments to anyone wishing to stay in an apartment in NYC.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
Hickory, North Carolina
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 26, 2012

Ok, my mom and I (my mom is 75) stayed here for 4 nights. We were chatised for our plane being late and not being there when we said we would. Breakfast was bread and cereal. They claim there is fruit but the morning I "tried" to eat there fruit was nowhere to be seen. No one at the desk so when we checked out we had to just leave the keys. There was a price list for breakfast things but the girl running the breakfast area spoke no English so no breakfast other than what was out. Room was sufficient but where others have said something about a hotel room the a/c was every bit as loud as any hotel room I've been in. We also had to wait 2 days for someone to bring us washcloths. They say they are "green" but you were supposed to dry your dishes with paper towels. How green is that? Never saw Zach once although he was more than helpful booking the room. I would not go back. I longed for a hotel room in Manhattan.

Room Tip: This is definitely for the more seasoned NY traveler. Not for rookies!!