“Perfect for independent travelers” 5 of 5 stars

You added Sanctuary Guest Suites to your Saves list
Sanctuary Guest Suites
196 A Stanton Street, New York City, NY 10002   |
Stinson Beach, CA
“Perfect for independent travelers”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 26, 2012

Negative reviews of the Nitay apartment had me concerned, but one look at our big, comfortable rooms made me quite pleased. It was perfect for us. Two double beds, separated by French doors, plus a pull-out futon; lots of closet space, full kitchen. Simple, attractive decor with exposed brick walls. It's a push to get up the 3 flights of steep stairs, so this apartment is not for everyone, but we loved it. We stayed during the week and noise was not a problem. As so many have said, Zach and Vishnu couldn't be more friendly or helpful. The neighborhood is fascinating & trendy, with lots of small shops; we enjoyed being next to the Hell's Angels HQ, dedicated to one Big Vinny, whose motto, "when in doubt, knock 'em out", is written on a plaque over the door.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (26)
Oklahoma City, Oklahoma
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 25, 2012

We stayed at the location at 196A Stanton St. Our room was 'Om' and it looked just like the photos on their website. Everything was spotless and we had a good amount of space in our room. Plus we had a full kitchen and good size bathroom with full size shower. We paid $229 a night for our room and for NYC, it was an amazing price. It was a little bit of a walk to the subway when you consider we probably made the trip two times each day, but it's only a 5 minute walk. The rooms all seem to be on the 2nd floor, so there was street traffic noise, but again it's NYC. Those are the only negatives and for that, it's still a fantastic bargain. The bed is super comfortable, too. The room also has your own heater/air conditioning unit that you can control. Plus having a full size coffee maker in the room was especially nice. There is a liquor store one block away and lots of good restaurants within walking distance--Katz's Deli and The Meatball Shop were two that we tried, plus there is good local pizza 2 blocks down the street. I would definitely stay here again.

Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Perth, Western Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 12, 2012

My husband and I and another couple have just spent a week in 2 apartments Chakra and Om at 196A Stanton St,in the lower East Side. Apartments on second floor and there is a lift.
Location: on a quieter area of Stanton St, opposite a Deli and close to lots of restaurants, cafes, bars and shops. This is a residential area so you can live like a local which is a lot of fun. The apartment is a short walk to main roads to catch a cab, bus or train. Also close to the East Village which has fantastic restaurants and bars.
If looking for a good coffee try Tiny's Giant Sandwich shop in Rivington St.
Great restaurants in area are The meatball Shop, Katz's Deli for lunch, Inoteca, Spitzers, Mission Chinese, Sauce to list a few. Also great cupcakes at Sugar Sweet Sunshine Bakery on Rivington.
Apartment: Large clean with lovely decor, comfortable queen bed, pillows a bit lumpy.
TV, Wi Fi which worked off and on in our room, very frustrating works better near the lift or downstairs.
The kitchen is large and clean with all mod cons which we did not use, fridge large but very noisy especially at night.
Bathroom small and clean all you really need though, shower hot with good water pressure.
Breakfast : basic, cereal fruit,juice and breads the same each day.
All in all this was a very good place to stay in the LES and the staff were very friendly and helpful.
I would recommend these apartments to anyone wishing to stay in an apartment in NYC.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
Hickory, North Carolina
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 26, 2012

Ok, my mom and I (my mom is 75) stayed here for 4 nights. We were chatised for our plane being late and not being there when we said we would. Breakfast was bread and cereal. They claim there is fruit but the morning I "tried" to eat there fruit was nowhere to be seen. No one at the desk so when we checked out we had to just leave the keys. There was a price list for breakfast things but the girl running the breakfast area spoke no English so no breakfast other than what was out. Room was sufficient but where others have said something about a hotel room the a/c was every bit as loud as any hotel room I've been in. We also had to wait 2 days for someone to bring us washcloths. They say they are "green" but you were supposed to dry your dishes with paper towels. How green is that? Never saw Zach once although he was more than helpful booking the room. I would not go back. I longed for a hotel room in Manhattan.

Room Tip: This is definitely for the more seasoned NY traveler. Not for rookies!!
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
Melbourne, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 14, 2012

Stayed at the Stanton street property with a girlfriend in the Buddah room. It was such a great room with a private patio (which is really rare to find accom with an outdoor space in NYC!). It has a generous kitchen and really clean throughout. Location was great in LES and everything is really accessible either by walk, subway or a short cab ride. Didn't have the breaky or try the yoga classes but I'm sure it will be great! A little tip.... If you walk up Stanton to Clinton St and go left there's a little coffee shop with amazing pastries and bagels and great coffee!!

• Stayed June 2012
Vienna, Austria
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 28, 2012

we stayed there 4 nights in July 2012 with my husband and 2 kids. Very good location and clean and charming. The manager Zach is very friendly. We were on 6th floor without elevator but a litle bit of sport killed nobody and you have a terrasse with a nice view. Starbuck is just at the corner and very closed to metro station and greenwich village !
I recommend this hotel and i will come back !

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
Rome, Italy
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 3, 2012

Hi, at the fourth time I've been in Sanctuary guest suites in 4 years, I decided to write.
I've been there in all situation: two times in couple, with 3 friends, and with mother and child.
Everytime it was all perfect. what you see in photos it's what you found.
My preferred suite is the Nirvana, but also Bala and Kurma are fantastic.
location is great if you like to live new york city from the inside, like a citizen and not like a tourist.
Each time I found fantastic people working there, very kind and professional.
never a problem in 4 times: it does it mean something or not??
I'm planning my fifth time there.
I really feel like home and they make me feel a newyorker.
I love it

• Stayed May 2012, traveled with family

Been to Sanctuary Guest Suites? Share your experiences!