“Feel just like a New Yorker” 5 of 5 stars

You added Sanctuary Guest Suites to your Saves list
Sanctuary Guest Suites
196 A Stanton Street, New York City, NY 10002   |
Melbourne, Australia
“Feel just like a New Yorker”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 14, 2012

Stayed at the Stanton street property with a girlfriend in the Buddah room. It was such a great room with a private patio (which is really rare to find accom with an outdoor space in NYC!). It has a generous kitchen and really clean throughout. Location was great in LES and everything is really accessible either by walk, subway or a short cab ride. Didn't have the breaky or try the yoga classes but I'm sure it will be great! A little tip.... If you walk up Stanton to Clinton St and go left there's a little coffee shop with amazing pastries and bagels and great coffee!!

• Stayed June 2012

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (26)
Vienna, Austria
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 28, 2012

we stayed there 4 nights in July 2012 with my husband and 2 kids. Very good location and clean and charming. The manager Zach is very friendly. We were on 6th floor without elevator but a litle bit of sport killed nobody and you have a terrasse with a nice view. Starbuck is just at the corner and very closed to metro station and greenwich village !
I recommend this hotel and i will come back !

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
Rome, Italy
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 3, 2012

Hi, at the fourth time I've been in Sanctuary guest suites in 4 years, I decided to write.
I've been there in all situation: two times in couple, with 3 friends, and with mother and child.
Everytime it was all perfect. what you see in photos it's what you found.
My preferred suite is the Nirvana, but also Bala and Kurma are fantastic.
location is great if you like to live new york city from the inside, like a citizen and not like a tourist.
Each time I found fantastic people working there, very kind and professional.
never a problem in 4 times: it does it mean something or not??
I'm planning my fifth time there.
I really feel like home and they make me feel a newyorker.
I love it

• Stayed May 2012, traveled with family
Sydney, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 21, 2012

First of all I want to make sure that people understand which place I stayed at. We read some reviews for these guest suites which were mixed.
We stayed at the guest suites at 196A Stanton Street in the lower east side. They also double as a yoga retreat and cafe I believe. I understand they have other properties and I can only review the place I stayed.

This place was amazing from the apartment itself to the area that surrounded it.
We were a late check-in and contacted the staff to let them know. We arrived at 11.30PM and there was someone waiting to show us to our apartment and even offered to show us the local bars if we were interested.
The apartment itself was great. We stayed in the one called Sita. It was essentially a one bedroom apartment with a huge queen or double bed in the living room. They had access to cable TV, a neat and modern bathroom and shower and a cool courtyard outdoor area to sit and soak up the sun.
The staff were really friendly and helpful. I would highly recommend this place. They also just set up a cafe out the back and although I didnt try it, it looked promising. The whole place is tied into yoga and spirituality but they don't impose this or even really talk about it to the hotel guests unless you ask.
I believe there is wifi here as well and the cafe at the back looked pretty cool. We didn't make time to try it but given the way they work I would drop in next time I am in NY.

The staff were extremely helpful and pleasant, taking time to help me print a document, even giving me contacts and sending emails to me on the fly.

Great place!! Two thumbs up!

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 16, 2012 via mobile

Visited New York with a friend for 6 days, (we had already stayed on 34 th street for 4 days). Had an apartment on the 6 th floor so be prepared for stairs! Very tricky with lots of bags. Enjoyed the rooftop deck, great views of empire state building at night, by day you get rooftops. The futon was comfortable in the lounge room. Kitchen very small, no table to sit at but clean and fridge clean. The TV didn't work and wifi was not reliable. We got a small refund for the TV not working.Enjoyed the coffee shop on the corner 'the Bean' it has wifi and nice coffee. Lots of bars and restaurants around. Hells angels not a problem. We didnt use there breakfast facility as it was in another building and did not look like a comfortable spot to eat breakfast so we made our own in our room. Easy to get around on subway. I would not recommend for families, more ideal for a couple as you don't need the futon and you would have more room. Enjoyed our stay and thanks to Zac for taking our bags up 6 floors.

Stayed June 2012, traveled with friends
Frankfurt
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 12, 2012

Cleanliness: we found long red hairs all ovr the place and since neiter me nor my friend have long, red hair...well that must have been someones elses....and that in an amount!!! My friend doubted that the linnen was changed at all... I don' want to speculate about that...
Noise: I actualy live in the center of a big german city... but there was no way to sleep here without earplugs, even in the sixed floor...very noisy!!!
No elevator|: very high stairs... very exausting to the 6th floor...really nothing for people who are older or not that fit. I am pretty fit and really got annoyed myselve.
Very poorly equipped kitchen: The kitchen itself is pretty nice but very rare cutlery, pots (we had one small one, only!!!!) and other stuff. When we used the washing mashine, the thing was leaking heavily... so be carefull:-) ...
Breakfast: well nothing for me...I dont like to be cramped together and looking for a place to sit and bothering other people... we pferred tonstay in our appartment and have a little mor relaxed breakfast...

all in all ok... more less than more...will try an other location the next time definitively...

Room Tip: Choose an other location, simply:-)
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
Netherlands
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 12, 2012

Chakra room was our home for 6 days New York and we appreciate our stay in this quite new apartment very well. Is is located in a vibrant though nice and safe area. With some good restaurants and bars in the neighborhood. The apartment is clean, nicely decorated, efficient and well equipped. The only minus was that the doorlock was not working properly.
There is a Wholefoods Supermarket in walking distance for all your breakfast stuff.
If you want to rent bikes go to the bike-shop on 2nd avenue, very close and they have nice bikes.
The price of the apartment is also is very reasonable.
Be aware that only a few hours per day there is someone at the reception. You have to be fully self supporting.
We would definitely go back and recommend it to the (little bit) more experienced traveller.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Sanctuary Guest Suites? Share your experiences!