“Great for the money” 4 of 5 stars

196 A Stanton Street, New York City, NY 10002   |
Mobile, Alabama
“Great for the money”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 16, 2012

Upon arrival at the hotel I was very pleased with our room and the location was nice as well. The beds were not the best ever but not uncomfortable. The aprtment was spacious enugh for two people to share. No frills but certainly more than I expected for 100$ a night. The Hells angels comments just need to stop. They are no problem and we rarely even saw any body around the bar and when we did they looked friendly or indifferent and certainly were no danger. The roof top area was a nice plus and had lovely views!! The place was very clean and not a bed bug in site. The walk to the closest subway was maybe five minutes. We took the subway everywhere we went, Now for the draw backs (which I have to count as small when I consider the price and location). the first night we had some problems figuring out how to get the hot water to work and the tub wouldn't drain. I called the hotel and they had someone come by and fix it within a few hours and the drain was no longer a problem. If you are staying in the winter the heating system is somewhat of a problem. The heater is turned on and off by a timer. During my stay here it was quite cold out and I was worried the room might be too cold. The room was instead always a little to hot for me so I would crack the windows at night to help cool the room off before sleeping so really not that big of a problem and better than the room being cold I guess. Lastly the place DOES NOT have an elevator. Not a big deal in my opinion but seems a lot of people on here have made quite a fuss over this. I am young and in fairly good shape so I just hoisted my suitcase over my head and went up the 5 flight of stairs without thinking twice. I can see that this could be a problem for some people and it should be made clear.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (25)
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 10, 2012 via mobile

Three weeks after a friendly email-conversation, booking and paying the $300 deposit via PayPal and five weeks before our stay, our reservation got cancelled "due to a double booking". Very strange and upsetting. It's not getting easier to find a place to stay at now. We would definitely not recommend this place.

• Stayed February 2012
Huntington Beach, California
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 28, 2012

Staying here was the only disappointment in our NYC trip. Fortunately, we didn't spend much time in it. But regardless, this place wasn't really wasn't worth it. We were aware of the accommodations, but the bathrooms were just horrible and disgusting. The bathtub was just dirty. But, our biggest complaint was the exposed water heater. We knew it was super hot, but when you're trying to dry off in the cramp bathroom, accidental contact was a given, especially when you're trying to get your balance. Ugh.

We had their complementary breakfast the first morning. We weren't planning on it, but we overslept the first night after being slightly jet lagged. At any rate, after the crappy breakfast, we weren't sure if we were supposed to wash our dishes or not. So, we looked around and saw the mother and daughter who sat next to us earlier just left everything on the table. So, we did the same. As we're walking out, a lady ran after us and shouted, "You have to clean your dishes." We apologized and said we didn't know. Then, she points t0 a small sign with faded writing above the sink that asks the guests to "kindly" wash their dishes. If we're not in that area, how are we supposed to see that sign?? Anyhow, it was an honest mistake, really, but she was still pissed off at us and most likely at the other guests who mistakenly left their dishes as well. So, as I'm doing the dishes, I ask her where the trash is, and she gives me the evil eye and points to the trash behind a door. I'm thinking ... Ok?? Sorry I asked, geesh. Needless to say, we didn't eat there again. We enjoyed our breakfast at Ess-a-Bagel every morning thereafter.

Then, you have the groups of people just chatting and laughing outside until dawn. No joke or exaggeration. I would expect this on a weekend, but this was every night!! Luckily, we were so exhausted every night that we were able to sleep through it.

Simply put, if you're a starving college student, this is an affordable option, but please let it be last resort. If not, just pay a little more and stay somewhere nicer. That’s what we’ll do when we go again.

• Stayed January 2012, traveled with family
Sydney
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 6, 2012

Our start to this place was terrible:
- Our apartment was a sixth floor walk-up (i.e. no elevator) at 75 E 3rd St
- The NY Hells Angels were in the adjacent building and decided to practice their instruments (but stopped around 9pm so not a big problem, just a mil annoyance)
- The worst part was bedbugs. I woke up the next morning covered in bugs bites!!!

The next day we were moved into another apartment on the 3rd floor in 73 E 3rd St. This apartment was slightly larger but most importantly, no bedbugs. After this the stay was quite pleasant.

- Breakfast was simple but satisfying: toast, cereal, bagels, tea, coffee.
- The hells angels were no problem at all (as long as you don't sit on the bench; there are signs everywhere in case you forget)
- As with any New York apartment there is some noise from the stairwell and neighbouring apartments

Room Tip: Ask for a room on a lower floor (unless you don't mind the walk)
  • Stayed December 2011, traveled with family
Albuquerque, New Mexico
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 2, 2012

Stayed last week with friends and realized that the place had actual tenants living in the building! If you're booking apartments for short-term stays in New York City it is ILLEGAL as of May 1, 2011. We should have better researched this place before we stayed there last week. If you google Sanctuary Guest Suite + Illegal Hotel NYC you will see that this is place is up to no good. The rooms in these cramp apartments are not as described, dirty, it's can get loud in the building and the street it is located on is not the best and next to the Hell Angels. Don't let me start to describe the "breakfast" at this reputed "Bed & Breakfast" that they offered because it was laughable.

Trust me book another actual credible hotel in NYC, you'll thank me. At all cost avoid this place and there other location on Stanton Street as it is not what they bill them to be at all. Not worth the few bucks you'll save because the likelihood is you'll get ripped off or worst hurt. one of the guys on this trip with us is a lawyer and pointed out how illegal this place was. We will NEVER stay here again and have filed a complaint with 311. You can go to www.nycgo.com for a list of legal B&Bs and hotels. Check out all the bad reviews of this place on here, for they are all true.

Staying at Sanctuary Guest Suites ruined our holiday don't let it ruin yours.

Room Tip: Old NYC residential building with tenants living in it, small cramp rooms, absolutely awful.
  • Stayed December 2011, traveled with friends
Denver, Colorado
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 12, 2011

I've been to New York City a few times and was referred to Sanctuary Suites by a friend. Boy, was I glad they did! Instead of an insanely expense, super small hotel room; this place has lovely spacious, homey feel to it. There's even a kitchen, so you can cook your own meals if desired. After going, going, going all day; it was a nice to come back and relax. The staff was very friendly and helpful. Plus it's only a 5 minute walk to Houston & Allen, where there are tons of live music venues. It's a really cool area, and much different (in a good way) than the typical Times Square hotels. I will definitely be back!!

• Stayed August 2011, traveled with friends
Antwerp, Belgium
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 11, 2011

I stayed at the Sanctuary Suites with some friends for thanksgiving and it was amazing! A team of young people is there to help you with anything they can, the rooms are cozy and spacious.

Being able to spend time with friends in an apartment, just hanging out for thanksgiving was amazing. And on top of that the view they have on the roof terrace is breath taking!

Room Tip: Take a suite on the highest floor if possible: amazing view of the city!
  • Stayed November 2011, traveled with friends

Been to Sanctuary Guest Suites? Share your experiences!