“great hotel!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Langham Place, Fifth Avenue

You added Langham Place, Fifth Avenue to your Saves list
Langham Place, Fifth Avenue
5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   400 Fifth Avenue, New York City, NY 10018 (Formerly The Setai Fifth Avenue) (Manhattan)   |
Special Offer
Linger Longer at Langham
Ranked #10 of 459 Hotels in New York City
chicago, IL
“great hotel!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 18, 2011

II stayed only 1 night for business and wish I could have extended it. I've stayed in NYC at the Ritz Carlton Central Park, the Ritz Wall Street, as well as the Pierre and the Setai by far was one of the best hotels I have stayed at. The room was extremely spacious, had all the upscale amenities, and I enjoyed sleeping on the Duxiana bed. I also enjoyed waking up making my own expresso in my room. The staff couldn't have been nicer and all of them were extremely helpful. the concierce offered to charge my phone while I ran an errand and offered wonderful restaurant recommendations near the hotel. Had drinks at the bar and the staff and ambiance was great! I highly recommend this hotel and will be back soon!

• Stayed February 2011, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (282)
  • Turkish first
Denver, Colorado
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 17, 2011

My wife and I booked through Jet Luxury Resorts for a Valentine's Day excursion. Location is great, attention to detail is impeccable and the rooms very brand new and so clean. Great gym I worked out in all 3 days and a very helpful staff that treated us like royalty.

Stayed February 2011, traveled as a couple
Cockeysville, Maryland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 16, 2011

I stayed one night in a suite. This hotel deserves its number one rating. The greeting at the hotel door was prompt and friendly, taking my suitcase directly to reception for me. While at reception, the nice concierge walked up and introduced herself to me. Check in was efficient. The bellman escorted me to my suite and showed me how things worked in the suite; the complimentary soft drinks, water and beer in the fridge, the beautiful espresso maker and crystal glasses. Then to my surprise he offered to press five items for me at no cost! When I returned to my room in the early evening, the complimentary hotel pressing of my business suit took only one hour and the shoeshine less than 30 minutes. My clothes were fresh and ready for the next morning. The layout of the suite was magnificent. There were floor to ceiling windows the entire length of this long suite with windows on the side. All the windows open. I immediately enjoyed the cross ventilation. The bathroom is large and also has two large windows with privacy letting in natural light and air. The commode is behind a frosted door in the bathroom. The closet has a large amount of space for hanging clothes and has drawers. There were large areas upon which I could lay out my clothes making it very easy to get dressed in the morning. The telephone is a touch screen and is answered promptly. The televisions are excellent visual and sound quality. I ordered room service dinner and enjoyed surfing the channels. Room service: The quality of the food is superb. The quality of the service was wonderful. They were on time and just a few minutes early both times which took that worry out of whether my evening or morning would be fussed with if room service were late. No late service at this hotel. When I forgot to ask that no mayo be on my crab, the room service server did not get angry or defensive. Instead, the hotel has him equipped with a microphone attached to his collar into which he immediately spoke and asked if the kitchen could prepare the crab without mayonnaise. The answer was yes. I had the plain crab back in my room in less than five minutes! I have to tell you that is the very best service I have ever had. When I went to use the elevator to go outside the hotel meet my driver, the maid saw me coming and pushed the down button for me and waited for the car to start towards my floor before going about her business on the floor. Unbelievable attention to detail. Whoever picked this staff and then trained them should be given a raise. Location: At the side street on 36th there was a great place for my driver to wait with the car. Finding a spot for a car & driver to wait to pick you up can be daunting task in certain parts of Manhatten. The 36th street “cubbyhole” is a good feature for this hotel. When I exited the hotel that fronts on Fifth Avenue, the doorman walked me to my car on 36th. Without naming hotels specifically that are in the vicinity between 55th and Fifth and the Time Warner building, the Hotel Setai puts them to shame in both quality of rooms and service. An insider’s tip about going uptown from the Hotel: If you want to go uptown using Madison Ave. in the morning get to Madison before 10 AM to be able to make a left turn. (North) Madison Square Garden and New York Penn Station is around an 8-14 minute walk depending on your gate. Sleep quality: This area of Fifth is quieter at night and early morning than the 55th to Time Warner area. I slept with one window open and it was delightful to have the cool area coming in. Room service breakfast was really delightful and freshly cooked. I had a pleasant discussion with the room service attendant about the different temperatures needed for brewing black tea versus green tea. I noted that the green tea I ordered was perfect for a room service order because the water was not supposed to be boiling for brewing green tea. He immediately offered to have the black tea start brewing in the kitchen while the water was still boiling if I wanted to order black tea the next time. His demeanor at all times was pleasant and helpful without getting the least bit fussy. That’s the way to start off my day with a happy thought. My checkout was quick and efficient. The receptionist even asked me if I had used the room safe to remind me if I had possibly left something behind. I will be returning soon with plans for next time to allow time for a session at their spa and a workout in their fitness room.

• Stayed February 2011, traveled solo
Boston, Massachusetts
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 13, 2011

So far probably the best hotel i stayed in NYC so far! Staff is very helpful. I made a reservation via LHW.com. When I arrived for some reason it had not gone through, so I was accompanied to the bar next-door and offered a complimentary drink while waiting.

Also, because of the short delay the gave me a double upgrade so I ended up in an amazing suite, with gorgeous views over Manhattan.

On the down side, there is no breakfast buffet in the morning: if you are pressed for time it you still need to wait for service at your table. the food however is very nice (I had an interesting polenta-based dish). Overall one of my best stays in NYC...

• Stayed January 2011, traveled on business
Milford, CT
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 12, 2011

Capella is doing something right at The Setai. We first discovered Capella's commitment to service last year at their property in Cabo. The stellar service in NYC lived up the high expectations that were set in Cabo. The entire staff were warm and friendly from the doorman to the receptionist and attendant the wonderful spa. Housekeeping was great- we inadverdantly tracked-in some sand/salt from tramping around a snowy city. When we came back to our room after turn-down the carpet was magically cleaned (in addition to the delightful turn-down treats/housekeeping mentioned in previous reviews). Spa is well-appointed- with a nice (smallish) lounge/waiting area with tea/water and a couple of selections of light spa-type snacks. Our massages were lovely and therapists professional and competent. The beautiful Hammam is the star of the spa. It is in the co-ed area of the spa so bring a swimsuit. Nice spacious gym. We hope to enjoy a drink at the bar on our next visit - it looked like a nice spot for a drink with a Jazz trio on the night of our visit. We have already booked our next stay with Yolanda at Jet Luxury. We booked our January visit with them also, very professional, answered email's promptly, and we got a great rate on the room. We are looking forward to our return visit!

• Stayed January 2011, traveled as a couple
Turin,Italy
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 12, 2011

It was our second time in NY during Christmas period and we read a lots of review before choosing the hotel. At the end we decided to stay 4 nights at the Setai and we have been completely satisfied. Very good location, beautiful appointed room ( free wi-fii and free mini bar, with Nespresso coffee machine), modern equipped gym, very good Spa. The service is top notch and all the staff is warm and friendly beyond expectations. Overall it is a very expensive hotel, but it definetely worth it.

• Stayed December 2010, traveled as a couple
Sydney, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 12, 2011

The location of the Setai is great for accessing the theatre and Fifth Ave shops. The staff greeting on arrival was warm, and very helpful.

The rooms are great. And our suite was larger than my apartment, with great quality fittings and modern and minimalist colour scheme. The walk in robe area is great, as was the large bath and separate shower.

The restaurant on 2 was buzzing with quite a business crowd. The food was superb and again the service was very impressive.

The gym is spacious with top of the range equipment.

The one area that I would not recommend is the spa. While the actual treatment I had, was very good. The service was far from 5-star. On arrival the receptionist was on the phone, without any acknowledgement of my arrival. When finally I was seen to, I was shown where to get changed. The only place to wait, unless you have a swimming costume, is the actual change room. There was no relaxation area or drinks that you would expect at a quality spa. After I had changed I was left to wait on the wooden bench for 10 minutes, during which time a male cleaning staff member wandered into the change area! He apologised, however my friend said the same happened when she was in there!

The treatment was relaxing, however seemed to end rather abruptly. There was also an attempt to sell products at the end, which is always offputting. And while I had paid for 90 minutes, the service was at least 15 minutes short. I raised this with the receptionist who flatly said I was wrong, even though I pointed out I hadn't even arrived in the facility 90 minutes previously.

Overall it's a shame, as the Setai is a lovely hotel, and staff in other parts of the hotel provide an impressive level of service. So it's probably best to enjoy the facilities but look elsewhere for pampering.

• Stayed February 2011, traveled with friends

Been to Langham Place, Fifth Avenue? Share your experiences!