“Beautiful suites in 5 th Ave” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Langham Place, Fifth Avenue

Save Saved
You added Langham Place, Fifth Avenue to your Saves list
Langham Place, Fifth Avenue
5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   400 Fifth Avenue, New York City, NY 10018 (Formerly The Setai Fifth Avenue) (Manhattan)   |
Hotel deals
Ranked #12 of 455 Hotels in New York City
Frankfurt
“Beautiful suites in 5 th Ave”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 8, 2014 via mobile

Ideal suites for guests who estimate space, a large bathroom and an open modern kitchen with Miele stove and washing machine and dryer. The massages in the Spa were good but very expensive. Don't rely on the hotel' s promise to drive you around NY. In 6 days we did not get a chance. Well, the doormen are a different story. All in all the hotel offers a lot for NY- WiFi included.

• Stayed June 2014
LanghamPlaceNYC, General Manager at Langham Place, Fifth Avenue, responded to this review, June 17, 2014
Dear Madam,

Thank you for sharing your review of Langham Place, Fifth Avenue. We are so happy you chose to stay with us on such a happy occasion.

Please know that we have taken note of your comments, positive and negative, in order to continually improve the service we offer our guests.

Francois-Olivier Luiggi

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (266)
  • Turkish first
San Diego, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 8, 2014

We just spent a really nice weekend at the Langham Place in Midtown. This was my first stay here and my third stay in a Langham branded property. We stayed in a 1 bedroom suite on the 19th floor at actually a pretty good rate for the size and amenities. We booked through luxury link auction.

The hotel is near the Empire State building - it's a little bit of a walk to the Theater District and getting a cab can take some time so if you are seeing a show in the city, give yourselves some time to get there.

PROS
- Staff - the staff is 5 star all the way. Every single interaction we had with staff members was terrific. Most introduced themselves and were all extremely friendly and welcoming. I don't know where they find all of these great employees.

- House Car - We were able to take advantage of using the hotels house car (a blue Mazerati) which was really nice. Still it's faster to walk and take the subway, but if you have the time, try to take advantage of this perk.

- Bath Room - the amenities in our room were terrific. We had a large suite with two sinks, huge soaking tub and great water pressure in shower. The shower also had a great rainshower above and handheld as well. They also left great large bars of soap, shampoo and conditioner as well as mouthwash and even swe

- Bed - one of the best beds I've slept in - extremely high thread count linens. Really comfortable. The hotel also does a nice turndown service with bottled water and some type of treat (cookies, short bread, etc.) The sheets reminded me of the Beverly Hills hotel which I think is tops.

CONS
- My only gripe was in our room. The carpeting was stained and just appeared worn. It made an otherwise amazing room look tired. Additionally, I wish there were ice available on each floor. To get ice you need to call down and wait 20-30 minutes (depending on time of day) for someone to bring it up to the room.

- Hotel bar - I'm pulling hairs here but we felt the service was a bit slow here especially compared to other parts of the hotel.

All in all if you are in the market for a 5 star - check out the Langham Place.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
Dear Sir,

Thank you for sharing your review of Langham Place, Fifth Avenue. We are so happy you chose to stay with us on your recent visit to New York!

We will let our partners at Duxiana Bed and Maserati know how much you enjoyed their products. And I am happy to here that you had nothing but positive interactions with our staff.

Dallas, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 7, 2014

We recently stayed 3 nights and left without a single complaint. The room was large, spotless, all amenities, modern, and with a large balcony with lounge chairs.
The bathroom was large and sunny.. Even a TV in the mirror.!
Service was excellent at all levels.
The Ai Fiori restaurant is elegant and the food superb.
You'll want for nothing in this 5 star hotel.

Room Tip: 5th floor has the large balcony
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
Thank you for sharing your positive review of Langham Place, Fifth Avenue. We are so happy you chose to stay with us on your recent visit to New York and that we exceeded your expectations. I have passed your compliments about Ai Fiori onto the chef and staff there. Thank you for including them in your review.

Los Angeles, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 6, 2014

It it on 5th Ave, near 39th St. - conveniently located for exploring Manhattan.
Room we had has a view of Empire State Building. It is very spacious - 900 + sf . They offer a deal - stay 3 nights and the third night is free. with this deal, It is a little less expensive than Four Seasons. We paid about $700 a night. They provide Duxiana bed - good for those with sensitive backs. .

Thee is an Italian restaurant in the premise. It is called Ai Fiori - "Among Flowers". It is rated Michelin one star. It serves excellent northern Italian cuisine.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
LanghamPlaceNYC, General Manager at Langham Place, Fifth Avenue, responded to this review, June 16, 2014
Thank you for sharing your positive review of Langham Place, Fifth Avenue. We are so happy you chose to stay with us on your recent visit to New York, and that you took advantage of our "Linger Longer" package.

Las Vegas, Nevada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 3, 2014

We stayed for 9 nights to celebrate a significant birthday.
The central location is perfect for the visitor who plans to do things uptown and downtown.
As others have noted the stand out feature of this hotel is the pleasant nature and friendliness of all the staff. It really is a welcoming place to return to each day.
We were allocated the room that we booked ( an 'executive place') and my birthday was acknowledged by the friendly check in staff. They promised a complimentary drink to celebrate when we returned to the bar after unpacking. This did not materialise. No big deal of course.
My wife had gone to the trouble of arranging for a birthday cake to be waiting in our room upon arrival. It was a nice surprise to see the Magnolia Bakery cake waiting in the room but its worth noting that there was nothing extra provided. Indeed, it was merely a box left on the table...no note, no glass of champagne ( as was discussed when arranging the cake)...just the cake.
Again, no big deal but slightly surprising given the length of stay and the significance of the event.
The room itself was ideal for our long stay. Plenty of space. Excellent size bathroom and a large walk in closet. It was spotless and kept that way during our stay.
The provision of a nespresso machine made the morning coffee a simple task.
You will also find plenty of bottled water that is replenished every day.
so whats not perfect?
Two things stand out and its got a lot to do with how the hotel advertises certain features.
The Langham promotes a 'personal assistant' that will attend to all your requests during your stay. In reality, this is actually the same concierge service that any hotel offers and is no way personalised to you or your room. You will be helped by whoever is available at the time or whoever answers your phone call. So, do not expect anything out of the ordinary.
Whilst we were at the hotel we asked for a few of the 'basic' concierge services and were surprised by the result.
A common request in NYC is always for theatre tickets.
We did the groundwork ourselves and merely asked for the concierge to assist with booking these online and printing out the tickets.
Surprisingly they were unable to help and informed us that they didnt have a password to use for the booking site. As we were leaving for an appointment I had anticipated that they might say, “leave it with us” to help with the tickets. Not the case and so we went to the theatre ourselves to buy the tickets.
Again, no big deal, but a NYC concierge that cant assist with theatre tickets ( not acquiring them, merely helping to print out a confirmation) is not exactly at the level of a ‘personal assistant’.
Another example was when I had a suit delivered to the hotel from a local store.
I had informed the ‘personal assistant’ that this would be happening and they assured me that it would be taken to the room.
When returning to the hotel to get ready for dinner I rang the assistant to enquire about the whereabouts of the suit. It had been delivered to the hotel earlier and would be sent up to the room.
Three further calls and 45 minutes later I was able to receive my suit just in time to get ready for dinner.
Again, just a simple request that the ‘personal assistant’ service failed on.
And this is the main point about the Langham. It's a wonderful hotel in a great location. The staff are truly nice people to deal with.
The advertising of service though may raise your expectations of what will be delivered and in our experience lead you to be disappointed with the reality.
Much the same way that they advertise the complimentary house car ( a Maserati ). Inevitably the car will be out whenever you need it and typically will have someone else waiting for its return.
This is understandable given the size of the hotel but its just another example of the guest expectations based on the advertising not being matched by the delivery.
Stay at the Langham by all means, as we will again.
It ticks most of the boxes and you will have a wonderful hotel to call home during your stay.
Just be prepared to do the legwork yourself for most things and do not raise your expectations too high and you will enjoy every minute.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
Moscow, Russia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 3, 2014

We liked our stay. Very comfortable hote just 3 minutes walk from the Empire State. The room was spacious. Here works the rule the higher the better. First of all you'll get better view and second the street noise will not bother you. We were at 8th floor and it was OK (not much of a view though). They have 1-star Michelin restaraunt Ai Fiori. Nice, but nothing special and very pricy as practically any other Michelin-star restaraunt. We liked more Measure Lounge on the ground (1st) floor. Room service is nice (they have great pizzas). Overall definitely can recommend to stay. I was thinking about something negative, but cannot find anything other than the price (but it is in the middle of Manhattan, so even the price is reasonable after all).

• Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
LanghamPlaceNYC, General Manager at Langham Place, Fifth Avenue, responded to this review, June 6, 2014
Dear Mr. Bobin,

Thank you for choosing Langham Place, Fifth Avenue on your recent visit to New York. We strive to exceed our guest expectations by providing the right room and the right service to make their stay the best it can possibly be. We are able to fulfill requests for rooms on higher floors. We hope you will choose to stay with us again so that we can do so for you.

I have passed your compliments onto the staff at Measure. We are so glad you enjoyed your experience there.

Thank you again!

Kelowna, Canada
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 31, 2014

Pre-stay, they were really good at calling and emailing to see if we had any special needs for the stay, just very good communication. So I was looking forward to my late arrival. I had a package shipped early, and was looking forward to getting all of my ducks in a row for my business trip. That was two hours ago, and I'm now at the Four Seasons.

I got stuck in the elevator. The key wouldn't work and the door closed. I called the help button, no answer. I had to wait until a guest opened the door, and I went to the reception to get a new key. The receptionist came over to swipe the key, and instructed me the angle required to get the key to activate. Would it have been that hard to leave for a second and give an orientation to the special elevator access? There wasn't anybody here.

So I got to the room, which was a corner suite with kitchen, and very nicely appointed. There was a nice bowl of fruit and a handwritten note from the hotel person. I had to get some important work done on the internet, that was time-sensitive so I signed up for the premium access at $14.95. It didn't work. My package wasn't in the room and had to be scrambled.

It took a tech about 20 mins to head to my room, at which point he had to call for tech support for the wifi. It never did get resolved. I got here at about 8:15, and at about 10:30 after wrestling with their internet, I checked out.

It has some features if it wasn't so poorly managed and appearing to be understaffed. There are free refreshments in the refrigerator, and the view is nice. I would for sure avoid this hotel if you want to come here and not feel like you are trying to fix all that is broken here.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled on business
LanghamPlaceNYC, General Manager at Langham Place, Fifth Avenue, responded to this review, June 2, 2014
Dear Mr. Fong,

Thank you for choosing Langham Place, Fifth Avenue on your recent visit. We want you to know that we appreciate your business and that you took the time to provide us with your honest feedback.

I had a chance to review your comments and was very troubled that you experienced such inconvenience at our hotel. Technical difficulties are never pleasant and I am sincerely sorry that they were the prime cause of you choosing to stay elsewhere. I hope that you can feel confident that we heard your concerns and have corrected the issues that caused you trouble.

Thank you again for your feedback. We hope you will give us another chance should your travels bring you back to New York City.

Francois-Olivier Luiggi

Been to Langham Place, Fifth Avenue? Share your experiences!