“Absolutely brilliant” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Langham Place, Fifth Avenue

Save Saved
You added Langham Place, Fifth Avenue to your Saves list
Langham Place, Fifth Avenue
5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   400 Fifth Avenue, New York City, NY 10018 (Formerly The Setai Fifth Avenue) (Manhattan)   |
Hotel deals
Ranked #12 of 453 Hotels in New York City
“Absolutely brilliant”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 23, 2014 via mobile

My wife and I stayed at the Langham Place hotel on Fifth Avenue, New York for my wife's 40th birthday and what a place to celebrate it. The hotel exceeded all of our expectations providing luxury and indulgence both in the suite we were allocated and the Michelin starred restaurant we ate in. was above what I expected. The location was central to all of the attractions we wished to see and more. Located right in the middle of fifth right next to the Empire State Building with shopping, Broadway, Times Square, Central Park, Rockefeller Centre.... I could go on as the list is endless.... sight
seeing galore all within easy reach. It was a fantastic weekend in a fantastic hotel.
Our only sticking point were the arrangements for attending the spa and pool facilities which were separate for male and female unless additional payment was made to use the co-ed spa and pool.... This seemed a shame given the amount already paid to stay at this 5 star hotel. It would have been nice to share those facilities with my wife. Other than that there were no complaints. Staff were friendly and helpful even going so far as to extend out checkout time to marry up with our airport pick up. It is an excellent hotel which we would use again and again and would recommend to friends and family.

• Stayed April 2014

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (262)
  • Turkish first
Boston, Massachusetts
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 22, 2014 via mobile

Normally The Langham would be beyond my price point, but I took two 20 something granddaughters to NYC for a theater trip. While the rooms were great, it was the warm, friendly, caring staff that made this wonderful! Yes I would had a great time, with the ladies, the stay made it over the top.

Stayed April 2014, traveled with family
London
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 22, 2014

In short, this is a lovely hotel. quite understated with wonderful staff. I will certainly book it again for a return trip and highly recommend spending the extra $$s for a suite.

Initially, I spent ages deciding on a NY hotel, there's just so much choice! In the end, I booked a suite at the Langham which promised a full-on view of the Empire State Building. We arrived a little early - about 13:00 and the room wasn't ready but the front desk, door staff and concierge couldn't have been more helpful and welcoming. We got to our room at around 15:00 and WOW! We'd been booked a corner suite so not only did our living room and bedroom face the Empire SB but our bathroom (overlooking 5th Ave) gave great views of the Chrysler Building. We only ate breakfasts in the hotel as we were out all day but the food was beautifully presented and tasty. I wasn't keen on sitting close to the bar but a minor negative.The bed was super comfy, it really was.

The location was great, very close to a subway station and easy to pick up a cab. Away from the madness of Times Square but perfectly safe to walk back to the hotel late at night. As for the shopping, practically on Macy's doorstep! The staff though, make this hotel, I haven't a bad thing to say about one single one of them. So professional and helpful. Can't wait to return.

Room Tip: Treat yourself to a high corner suite, it's worth it...
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
Manchester, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 20, 2014

I tried to keep this short (but failed)…

1) Booking: the hotel failed to respond to our email within 24 hours (as stated on their website) resulting in an increase in price (the hotel change their pricing). This was resolved after further unnecessary communication.

2) Laziness: Our personal assistant didn't notice the "miss" on our booking and proceeded to refer to me as "Mr" - 5 star?

3) Complimentary services: don't bother informing the hotel which newspaper you would like receive or what your favourite soft drinks are. We complained that we hadn't received our paper throughout our stay - and when we did (on our final day), it was taken away from us before we could even take it out of the bag!

The receptionist asked us to inform the hotel what our favourite drinks were from the complimentary fridge therefore allowing them to replenish it with our favored drinks. Don't bother doing this, as you'll be left with the drinks you don't like!

4) Heating/Air Con: unfortunately, I got sick whilst on holiday. Prior to this my friend and I had noticed that when we switched the heating on, it blew out cold air. Maintenance was called out, who informed us that the room was warm - what happened to the customer is always right? The maintenance man faffed around with the heating system and when he left, the room was miraculously a lot warmer.

The air conditioning was absolutely horrendous in our room! I have never suffered from chapped lips however, on this trip the lip balm was out in force. I even noticed a crack in my lip, which stopped me from consuming salty foods.

(As soon as I arrived back in the UK, I noticed an improvement - and now they're back to normal).

5) Don't bother opening the curtains - well, unless you like looking at boarded up windows? 5 stars you say?

6) Stains on the carpet! Again, I’m really confused about the 5 star status.

7) Ok, so this is the icing on the cake (can you sense the sarcasm?). One of he reasons why we chose this hotel was because of the flexible checkout option. I had informed Balenka (the lady who called me to arrange our booking – long after the 24hrs) that our flight back to the UK was in the evening. Flexible checkout would allow us to enjoy the day in NYC and not worry about heading back to the hotel to check out.

On our final day in New York we had a fantastic morning/afternoon. We shopped, had some fantastic food (Keste Pizza on Bleecker St) - but when we strolled back into our hotel room it was EMPTY!

We had not checked out however, the Langham Place seems to think it's ok to pack up your guest’s belongings and "chuck them out" (which is how we felt). We were absolutely livid, this is not the behavior of a 5 star establishment, this is STEALING and an invasion of privacy. Neither of us had packed or locked our case! The hotel had no right removing our cases from our room – the room we were yet to check out from.

After having a not so pleasant conversation with the Manager – they arranged to bring our suitcases back up to our room therefore allowing us to finish packing (and add the shopping from our day out). To my horror, my case had been locked and the keys were nowhere to be seen! (Also, the Langham Place, a “5 star hotel”, feel that it’s ok to pack on behalf of their guests – picture a carrier bag with clothes/toiletries and chargers in it).

After another not so pleasant phone call with the hotel Manager, someone was sent up to check my suitcase (I think they thought I was being ditzy and couldn’t see the key taped on the side) – definitely not! As 45mins later an engineering man was sent up to break into my case. I have never experienced anything like this before!

We had scheduled to leave a little earlier for our departing flight – instead we found ourselves rushing through the airport.

Management at the hotel knocked two days off our bill and arranged for a car to take us to the airport (this took some convincing) – two days is not enough if you ask me however, I was basically told to take it or leave it! They also purchased a padlock for my case (I was told they did this as a gesture of goodwill – hmmm you wouldn’t have had to do this if you didn’t steal my case and “pack” on my behalf).

The Langham Place is over priced, lacks atmosphere and the management are useless – Matthew’s (the hotel Manager) favourite words “I apologise for this”.

The best thing about the Langham Place has to be Derek (a Personal Assistant at the hotel). Derek was not our assigned PA but he should have been. When I was sick he sent up warm water, herbal tea and then a kettle. He asked how I was regularly and was extremely helpful throughout our trip – an asset to your team.

Everything you’ve just read is the watered down version of what happened during our stay. I could probably carry on writing but I think you get the picture.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled with friends
LanghamPlaceNYC, General Manager at Langham Place, Fifth Avenue, responded to this review, April 30, 2014
Dear Madam,

I can only start this email with heartfelt apologies. The entire team at the front desk was devastated by the fact that at no time during your stay, anyone of us was able to turn the tides.

A great experience always starts with a warm welcome, and ends with a fond farewell.

I only hope you will give us a second chance. The entire team wants to show you what they are truly capable of.

Do not hesitate to contact me directly to plan your next visit to New York.

Sincerely

Francois

FLuiggi@langhamhotels.com
Mexico City, Mexico
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 20, 2014

I am currently staying at the Langham with my husband and my two kids. We will be here for 7 nights. We arrived at 6 pm and our room was not ready. We went out to have dinner and when we got back our room was still not ready. They offered us to have something at the bar while we waited. No one came to tell us when we were good to go up. Later that day the kids had a bath and there was not a single large towel in the room. I had to use the only two hand towels to get them dry. We asked for towels and received them two hours later. They have free sodas in the minibar and the really nice bellboy told us they could bring more any time. It has been more than four hours since I requested more and nothing.

The hotel is nice. Our suite is large and comfortable. There have been nice touches such as a bottle of wine from Eugenia, a personal assistant, and some cookies, but they are not enough to hide the lack of personnel or supervision for our real needs.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled with family
LanghamPlaceNYC, General Manager at Langham Place, Fifth Avenue, responded to this review, May 1, 2014
Dear Madam,

Thank you for contacting us before the end of your stay, and giving us a second change. I know the team really got together and hopefully was able to make all the necessary corrections before you left.

It is difficult to recover from not having your room ready at check-in.

Do not hesitate to contact me directly when planning your next visit.

Sincerely

Francois Luiggi
fluiggi@langhamhotels.com
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 19, 2014

A really comfortable and large room, great bed. Large bathroom with a full size window. Very quiet. Live jazz at hotel cafe every night. Great food, great cocktails. Even wellness at Fifth Avenue! Great location, close to the metro station. Every employee behaved to us really positive just targeting our best interest and comfort. Minimal style interior gave us a contemporary, modern feeling.

Room Tip: There are quiet, but backyard rooms. Still bright, but not lower, than 10th floor. Great view from u...
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
Pembroke Pines, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 18, 2014

This is a very cool hotel property...the amenities are the same that are found in the world's other great hotels, really sleek, modern good looking and very comfortable. Bar down stairs is jammed weekdays with good looking middle aged folks.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled solo

Been to Langham Place, Fifth Avenue? Share your experiences!