“currently the best one in nyc” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Langham Place, Fifth Avenue

Save Saved
You added Langham Place, Fifth Avenue to your Saves list
Langham Place, Fifth Avenue
5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   400 Fifth Avenue, New York City, NY 10018 (Formerly The Setai Fifth Avenue) (Manhattan)   |
Hotel deals
Ranked #11 of 453 Hotels in New York City
schweiz
“currently the best one in nyc”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 20, 2013

we have tested evry top hotel in NYC. no doubt. the Sati is the Top one. we have used one of the bigger suits and we were not dissapointed. Weill try the place now with our our little kids. lets see id´f the setai cn deliver. Breakfast: Top, spa: great, Bar excellent, Service: hmmh its nyc- never bad but never great.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (262)
  • Turkish first
London, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 19, 2013

This hotel is a good hotel but there are a few things wrong. First of all there seems to be all this great stuff but there isn't. For example when we first checked in we heard there's a complimentary car and yet we could never seem to use it. Also, due to the location you had to get a cab everywhere and since the hotel had no system to hail cabs we had to wait 20 minutes while a doorman tried to hail one. Not good.
However, the suites was great, massive, comfy beds and nice views. I also liked breakfast a lot with a good range of selection from the menu. Overall this hotel was good, just not a 5* one.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
AnneMauriceDOS, Director of Sales at Langham Place, Fifth Avenue, responded to this review, February 5, 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your comment regarding your stay with us a few weeks ago. We regret our Maserati house car was not available to you during your time with us. The car is available on a first come, fist serve basis.
Our location is perhaps one of the best for finding taxis. There are however, several times during the day, when the taxis switch shifts, causing a wait for anyone searching for one. Weather conditions also, naturally affect the search. There are no other methods, I regret, to find one, regardless of the hotel location or star ranking.
Private cars are available for hire but must typically be reserved ahead of time.
We are delighted to hear you enjoyed breakfast with us.

We wish you a great new year and thank you again for your feedback.

San Francisco, California
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 17, 2013

I stayed at this hotel once in 2012 and several times in 2011 (I think four stays total, 3-4 nights each).

The nicest thing about this hotel is that the suites are enormous, probably the largest I've stayed in in Manhattan. I've been told by staff that there is actually no management relationship between this hotel and the Setai in Miami, but it resembles the Miami Setai in that the suite is pretty much an apartment. You have a living room (an actual separate room, not a living "area" like in some hotel suites), tons of closet space, and a real kitchen fully equipped with pots and pans, silverware, blender, etc. You can really cook in this hotel, which is definitely nice if you want to entertain or if you're staying for a long time.

The decor is sophisticated and clean, lots of creams and browns and grays. It's polished but ends up feeling a bit corporate and lacking in soul. A bit corporate and lacking in soul could just as well describe the neighborhood surrounding the hotel. It's in a very dull part of Midtown, though it is quite convenient to transportation hubs like Grand Central and Times Square. Entering and exiting the hotel you'll have to deal with crowds of tourists and office workers. It's not a fun neighborhood to walk around and there's not much of interest immediately nearby.

Service is very good, in my experience. The hotel's restaurant is very good as well, but the food is quite over the top: everything is drenched in butter and cream, it's all very heavy. Definitely eat there once during your stay but I wouldn't imagine it'd be a place you'd want to go night after night. Room service is good but not great.

I could see this hotel being ideal for someone who needs a luxurious, long term stay for business in Manhattan. But if you're visiting the city for a romantic trip or want to stay in an interesting neighborhood, you'd be best suited to staying elsewhere (like I decided I was).

• Stayed May 2012, traveled on business
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your feedback regarding your recent stay. We regret you did not find our location to interesting or fun. We are, as you experienced, in the heart of Manhattan, on 5th Avenue, 1 block away from famed Madison Avenue, 2 blocks away from the Empire State Building and less than a 30 minute walk to either downtown/Soho or uptown.
Ai Fiori, our restaurant, recipient of a Michelin Star is indeed a restaurant for occasions. It has received 3 stars from the NY Times and awarded #1 Best New Restaurant in NYC in 2012. For more casual dining, Bar on Fifth offers an array of items, ranging from sharing plates, to salads, sandwiches and more..
We are pleased to hear that you found our accommodations to be comfortable and do hope we will have the opportunity to welcome you back in the future.

We wish you a wonderful new year and thank you again for sharing your comments.

London, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 14, 2013

We went there for a wonderful pre-Christmas week end having heard good things about the Setai in Miami.

First of all, the location, it’s on 5th and 37th which is a strange area not quite trendy downtown nor upmarket up town. Macy its two streets behind but the shops around the hotels are a bit tacky tourist places, having said that you are very quickly a few blocks in the nicer part of 5th.

The overall feeling of this hotel is that it looks nice but not luxurious. It’s very much a business hotel or feels that wayt. The staff was very helpful and friendly even though the wifi was down for two days (!).
The rooms are quite big for NY, very nice but blend a typical modern hotel with no particular soul. We had a suite so it felt very comfortable, not sure how nice the standard rooms are. The bathroom was perfect. A plus for us, the bed was extremely comfortable, perfect sheets and duvet. Breakfast was just breakfast!

So overall not a bad hotel at all, clean and modern BUT not the service or amenities that you expect for a 5 stars which normally makes you feel a bit special

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
AnneMauriceDOS, Director of Sales at Langham Place, Fifth Avenue, responded to this review, January 17, 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to send us your comments regarding your visit over the Holidays. Though we currently share a similar name with The Setai Miami, we are not affiliated in any way.
We regret you did not find our services and amenities in line with a 5 star hotel. We would greatly appreciate any specific feedback you may have.
We wish you a very happy new year and thank you in advance for sharing any further comments on how we can improve of overall services.

Dublin, Ireland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 13, 2013

Myself and my husband ended our honeymoon in The Setai for 3 night in Nov. I liked the hotel as soon as I arrived. Our bags were whisked into the lobby and the Italian receptionist was so friendly she used to live in ireland so it was nice to chat about common places we knew. She recommended a informal Italian two blocks over which was lovely and just want we wanted. We got upgraded to a room with a view of the empire state and received breakfast vouchers compliementary. The breakfasts were delicious.
The room was a great size for NY but the best part was the bathroom with the twin sinks and great tub. The best thing about the hotel were the staff. Brian and Eugenia went out of their way to organise restaurants and trips for us and Brett made sure we got to the restaurant (Budakaan) in the Masarti and the driver was really friendly. We loved the atmosphere in the bar which the jazz music. The only thing that we didn't get as honeymooners as we got in other hotels was a note and complimentary chocs or champers but the upgrade and breakfasts made up for this.
We are thinking of returning to NY for our first anniversary as 3 days wasn't enough and we hope to return to The Setai.

Room Tip: Ask for a room on a high floor
Toronto, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 12, 2013

We booked a 1-bedroom suite for 4 nights, and this is the email that I sent the hotel, while staying there:

I just want to express some of my concerns about my current stay at this hotel... I will be checking out at some point today (Oct 15/12)...

1. When we arrived, we were told that there is complimentary refreshments including water and sodas... There were none, when we entered the room... When we inquired further about this, we were told this service has now been discontinued at your hotel. They did say they will honour it for this stay, but it took us asking 3 times to actually get them...

2. Room Service... This service was atrocious... On Friday, we ordered at 9:30 am... The attendant mentioned it could be up to an hour... I told her i had an important conference call at 10:30 am and that i need to eat something before then... she said they would try for 10:15 am... The food didnt arrive until 10:35am... by the time i finished my conference call, the food was cold, not to mention i was starving... For subsequent room service orders for breakfast, it wasnt any quicker... Not sure why room service takes so long at this hotel...

3. The speed of the internet is slower than dial up...or at least it feels that way... Why? Isnt this hotel relatively new?

4. I inquired to the front desk about where i can purchase the front door latch, which i found interesting... I was told they would get back to me shortly... This was on Friday, and I still have no response

I choose this hotel because of the rave reviews on trip advisor... I like my stays to be relatively perfect and problem free, as my expectations are generally high, specifically at a hotel of this caliber... Im guessing/hoping my experiences were an anomaly... I would expect the above to be the least of any guest's concerns at your property, as they are usual for any hotel... On a positive note, Luis, the personal assistant was great and so was the asian doorman (sorry, i forgot his name). Overall, the staff were pleasant... And, the room was also quite nice...

Im not sure i would come back, but I thought I would at least share my concerns...

AND to top it off… after taking the time to write and send my comments to the hotel, I received a pathetic response from, Natalie David-Szemes, with absolutely no personal touch to it... Im guessing they cut and pasted their response that they usually give to all their guests who write to them. Just Pathetic!

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
Dallas, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 10, 2013

This hotel is beautiful and luxurious. The artwork is modern and clean. The rooms are comfortable and full of amenities you cannot get at just any hotel, like rain showers, full bathtubs and bowls of fruit (the good fruit not cheap melons). I had breakfast in the dining room and enjoyed 5 star service and food.

Room Tip: go for the sweets on the top floors... really great views up there and kitchenettes.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Langham Place, Fifth Avenue? Share your experiences!