“Hotel was BLAH! Not 5-Star Quality for my stay!” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Langham Place, Fifth Avenue

Save Saved
You added Langham Place, Fifth Avenue to your Saves list
Langham Place, Fifth Avenue
5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   400 Fifth Avenue, New York City, NY 10018 (Formerly The Setai Fifth Avenue) (Manhattan)   |
Hotel deals
Special Price
10% off room rate
Ranked #12 of 451 hotels in New York City
Toronto, Canada
“Hotel was BLAH! Not 5-Star Quality for my stay!”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 12, 2013

We booked a 1-bedroom suite for 4 nights, and this is the email that I sent the hotel, while staying there:

I just want to express some of my concerns about my current stay at this hotel... I will be checking out at some point today (Oct 15/12)...

1. When we arrived, we were told that there is complimentary refreshments including water and sodas... There were none, when we entered the room... When we inquired further about this, we were told this service has now been discontinued at your hotel. They did say they will honour it for this stay, but it took us asking 3 times to actually get them...

2. Room Service... This service was atrocious... On Friday, we ordered at 9:30 am... The attendant mentioned it could be up to an hour... I told her i had an important conference call at 10:30 am and that i need to eat something before then... she said they would try for 10:15 am... The food didnt arrive until 10:35am... by the time i finished my conference call, the food was cold, not to mention i was starving... For subsequent room service orders for breakfast, it wasnt any quicker... Not sure why room service takes so long at this hotel...

3. The speed of the internet is slower than dial up...or at least it feels that way... Why? Isnt this hotel relatively new?

4. I inquired to the front desk about where i can purchase the front door latch, which i found interesting... I was told they would get back to me shortly... This was on Friday, and I still have no response

I choose this hotel because of the rave reviews on trip advisor... I like my stays to be relatively perfect and problem free, as my expectations are generally high, specifically at a hotel of this caliber... Im guessing/hoping my experiences were an anomaly... I would expect the above to be the least of any guest's concerns at your property, as they are usual for any hotel... On a positive note, Luis, the personal assistant was great and so was the asian doorman (sorry, i forgot his name). Overall, the staff were pleasant... And, the room was also quite nice...

Im not sure i would come back, but I thought I would at least share my concerns...

AND to top it off… after taking the time to write and send my comments to the hotel, I received a pathetic response from, Natalie David-Szemes, with absolutely no personal touch to it... Im guessing they cut and pasted their response that they usually give to all their guests who write to them. Just Pathetic!

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business

1,060 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (240)
  • Turkish first
Dallas, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 10, 2013

This hotel is beautiful and luxurious. The artwork is modern and clean. The rooms are comfortable and full of amenities you cannot get at just any hotel, like rain showers, full bathtubs and bowls of fruit (the good fruit not cheap melons). I had breakfast in the dining room and enjoyed 5 star service and food.

Room Tip: go for the sweets on the top floors... really great views up there and kitchenettes.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
chicago
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 8, 2013 via mobile

Room was exquisite with modern features. Very spacious. Courtious staff was eager to help.Room service kinda pricey. Great location. We were able to walk to Madidon Square Garden for the KNICKS game..We will definitely stay there again !!!!!

• Stayed January 2013
Drexel hill,pa
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 7, 2013

Stayed new years eve had two rooms and hotel was nice enough but, did not deliver the type of service that one would expect when at this price point. Have gotten similar type of room at Westin for half the price. Hotel restaurant should be avoided at all costs. Food not good and way overpriced with tip added on top of that. Location is ok, but, try and find another hotel at the prices these guys are charging, nothing special.

Room Tip: Try and get Corner room if you can
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
AnneMauriceDOS, Director of Sales at Langham Place, Fifth Avenue, responded to this review, January 10, 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to provide feedback for your recent stay, over New Year's with us. We regret you found the hotel overpriced. New Year's is typically a very busy time in the City and we continuously monitor pricing, namely among hotels which fall within our pricing range. Our rates over this particular time frame, were in line with the market place.
Ai Fiori, the hotel's restaurant is owned and managed by an independent operator, thus we do not oversee its operation.
We value your patronage and hope we will have the opportunity to welcome you back in the future. It would be my pleasure to personally assist with your accommodations. Please do not hesitate to contact me directly.

We wish you a very happy 2013 and thank you again for your comments.

Anne-J. Maurice
Director of Sales & Marketing
UK
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 4, 2013

I returned to the Setai after staying there with my two teenage kids for Christmas 2011, this time with my partner. Last time I valued the space of the Apartment Suite, the location which meant that we could walk almost everywhere we wished to go, and the friendly service. This time we were upgraded to an Apartment Suite (thanks Natalie) and again were very happy with the space, location and service.

Everyone was friendly and helpful and we especially appreciated a 4.00 pm checkout as we waited to be taken to the airport. We managed a couple of trips in the Maserati (thanks John), which certainly beats taxis for style.

This is not an old style five star hotel with luxury and obsequiousness oozing from every corner; it's a well equipped modern new style five star hotel and was perfect for our trip. Thanks.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Nijmegen, The Netherlands
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 4, 2013

Very mixed feelings about this hotel. On one hand, the location is absolutely amazing! Its near Empire State Building, walking distance to Public Library, Bryant Park, Grand Central, Times Square, Rockefeller Centre, Macy's and of course 5th Avenue. Also, the hotel is new and very well maintained, the furniture/elevators are all new, the hall and lounge are very clean. The Room Service is great as well, they are very quick and thorough ( they change bedsheets daily, clean bathroom and organize toiletries really well, stack minibar, fold clothes etc). On the other hand, the service is a let down. There is usually only one receptionist at the lobby (sometimes two), so when you finally get at the hotel after a day of traveling, be prepared to wait for your checkin. Also, be prepared that because the only receptionist is alway very busy, they could simply forget your request (we requested room-service in the evening, and after we came back to the room an hour later, they apparently forgot about us. As it was already very late, we had to stay in the room while they cleaned it, very awkward). Also, due to a very minimalistic design, there is only one couch in the lobby (beside the lounge/restaurant), so if thats taken, you have to stand and wait. There is also an option of a personal assistant, who are very helpful by email. However, once you are at the hotel, it takes time to get hold of one. Usually there is only one personal assistant present (sometimes none) and you always have to wait in line between 10 and 25 minutes. Then, there is also a Michelin Star restaurant. Well, the long seating and overpriced dishes might be alright for a dinner, at least it is expected. But this is also the only option if you want to have an early breakfast. And that is truly terrible. We always want to start our day with a quick and full breakfast, to go on with our tours and sightseeing. However, there is no buffet, only a very limited menu, and it takes ages to serve 4 people for omelets and coffee. Thankfully, there is a cheap-looking, but a very good breakfast cafe at the corner near the hotel, with many delicious sandwiches, panini's and pancakes. Also, due to a very minimalistic design and somberness I wouldn't recommend this hotel for the holidays season! (and that is possibly the biggest letdown). At last, the hotel is very pet-unfriendly, this is perhaps not the strict policy of the hotel, but of the US, so if you are from Europe, I wouldn't recommend taking your pet with you.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your feedback during your recent stay with us. We are always appreciative of any comments provided. We truly regret that you had a waiting time at the Reception/Personal Assistants Desks and that you found seating in our Lobby area limited. We are aware of these challenges and are working on improvements in the immediate future.
Regrettably, Ai Fiori restaurant is not owned or managed by the hotel. For breakfast, we do offer several alternatives: room service or Bar on FIfth (while we typically do not open the Bar area before 8am, we always make exceptions and can offer any room service item to be served in the Bar).
The Hotel is very pet friendly. We accept all pets - under 25 lbs - at no charge. New York City law prohibits however, any pet, from entering an area that serves food and beverage. I would very much appreciate receiving additional comments regarding your experience with your pet.

Thank you again for your time. We wish you a wonderful new year and do hope to see you at The Setai Fifth Avenue in the future.

Anne-J. Maurice
Director of Sales & Marketing
anne.maurice@setaififthavenue.com
Singapore, Singapore
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 4, 2013

Spent a few days at The Setai between Christmas and the new year, and had an absolute fantastic time. Had a great suite on the 26th floor, with nice neutral decor and great views.
Everyone I dealt with from the second I arrived were very service minded, and it truly felt as if they were going the extra length to make me feel comfortable.
I was fortunate to be transported by the house car on a few occasions, and every request I had during my stay was dealt with promptly.
To Gabriel and the other guys at the door. Thank you for a great stay!

Br

Mads J

• Stayed December 2012, traveled solo

Been to Langham Place, Fifth Avenue? Share your experiences!