“Pleasant enough, but a bit overrated” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Langham Place, Fifth Avenue

Save Saved
You added Langham Place, Fifth Avenue to your Saves list
Langham Place, Fifth Avenue
5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   400 Fifth Avenue, New York City, NY 10018 (Formerly The Setai Fifth Avenue) (Manhattan)   |
Hotel deals
Special Price
10% off room rate
Ranked #11 of 452 hotels in New York City
Los Angeles CA
“Pleasant enough, but a bit overrated”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 22, 2012

For our most recent ever-so-brief New York visit (2 days, 1 night), we decided to try the Setai, based on TA reviews and a decent flash sale private website offer. The hotel was pleasant enough, but a bit overrated in my opinion, mostly due to inconsistent service. My brother also happened to be staying at the hotel, using the same flash sale but for a longer stay, so we were able to compare our experiences. His room was actually directly above ours.

First off, I would have to say this is not my favourite New York neighbourhood--5th Ave. between 36th and 37th. While such tourist sites as the Empire State Building, Macy's and Lord and Taylor are nearby, I prefer the sites and shops on or near 5th Ave. 15-25 blocks north-- Saks, Barneys, the Top of the Rock, MOMA. Bryant Park, the NY Public Library and the Morgan Library are also nearby. When we walked from the hotel toward Times Square to catch a play ("The Heiress"), we walked down a street (37th?) that had store after store of cheesy discount evening gowns.

The hotel itself is lovely, occupying the lower floors of a 57 story building designed by Gwathmey Siegel, who did the Guggenheim Museum's addition. This was one of Charles Gwathmey's last projects before his untimely passing. Perhaps most unique are the hotel's angular windows that open to let in a decent amount of fresh air. The lobby is more like a foyer, not really a space to sit and relax, but has some nice design touches, especially the curved stairway leading to the 2nd floor restaurant (A Fiori) and the pendulous teardrop-like sculpture in its centre. The Bar on Fifth, where one can sit and relax, is just beyond the lobby. The hotel has a flexible check-in/check-out policy, so when we arrived rather early after our red-eye flight, our room was ready. A very kind and friendly bellman escorted us to the room and remembered and acknowledged us whenever we passed by later on.

Our room was a Standard Room, the lowliest of room categories. It was actually quite spacious by New York standards (420 sq. feet), with almost half the space occupied by the sumptuously appointed bathroom, leaving the bedroom area a bit cramped. The next room category up, the Superior room, has the same square footage but a larger bedroom and smaller bath. The room was sleekly designed in shades of brown and beige, with wood paneling. The view was a "courtyard" view of the backsides of buildings that faced 36th or 37th St.--there was actually a good amount of natural light, and the bathroom also had a window, All windows were floor to ceiling. The bath had a dual head shower (rain or hand-held) over the tub.

What I liked:
The complimentary Nespresso machine and refreshment centre (minifridge with sodas and water--no minibar). The high definition TV. The aforementioned angular windows. The nicely designed door jam that is a refreshingly modern alternative to the standard chain and bolt. The bath toiletries. The large WC alcove.

What was less impressive:
The highly touted Duxiana bed was low-slung--a box spring topped by what looked like a mattress topper but no mattress (A peek at the Duxiana website shows that this is in fact one of their bed's designs--the "magic" apparently is in the number of springs in the base. Yes, it was comfortable, but not out of this world). Only 2 king pillows--4 would have been nice. Only one hand towel and one face cloth, but 2 bath towels and 2 bath sheets. The WC alcove could have used a door. Our shower curtain was full-length, but the one in my brother's room was at least a foot short of the tub ledge, leaving a frightfully dangerous, slippery wet marble surface after showering--a lawsuit waiting to happen. The TV is not wall-mounted, but rather sits on top of the desk, usurping valuable space. There is free Wifi, but no one told me you needed a password. The closet in the Standard rooms are not full length. The bedside cordless phones are hard to operate. The desk phone has a large lighted screen than cannot be dimmed while sleeping. We did not receive morning newspaper delivery, nor did my brother on any day. My brother got cookies with turndown, we got water from the refreshment centre. After we had checked-in (early), we spent an hour or so in the room, during which time the housekeeping staff and others could clearly be heard going about their business. At least 3 people tried to enter the room, only one knocked (luckily we had the door jam engaged). We heard a lot of doors opening and closing--it turned out the room across the way from ours was being used as a housekeeping storage room. A stairway door was also nearby.

Our package included breakfast (a set value to be used in the restaurant or in-room), which we took in the restaurant--quite nice. Interestingly, for some selections, one is not served potatoes, but always a small salad. We also had late night room service (club sandwiches)-- also quite nice, and again with salads instead of carbs. There is a spa and salon that occupies the 4th floor, but we did not try these services. The fitness centre is on the 3rd floor (although the elevators say its on the 4th), as is the business centre--2 small key-accessed rooms housing computers and printers.

If this hotel was situated in an area more suited to my likings, it would definitely be on the list of possible accommodations. Even now, I would consider a return visit, but the luxury hotel milieu in Manhattan is highly competitive and somewhat large, so the Setai must pay attention to every detail to stay in the game.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
AnneMauriceDOS, Director of Sales at Langham Place, Fifth Avenue, responded to this review, November 27, 2012
Dear Guest,

Thank you so much for taking the time to share your recent feedback with us. We regret you did not find the Duxiana beds to be comfortable. We had selected for there adapatability to all sleepers and high quality. We have noted your comment regarding the placement of our televisions as well as the challenge with the cordless phones.

Competition is indeed aggressive and we realize that our customers have many choices in our City. We are most grateful for your patronage and hope to welcome you back in the near future.

Anne-J Maurice
Director of Sales & Marketing

1,086 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (250)
  • Turkish first
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 21, 2012

My boyfriend surprised me a trip to NYC this weekend and he could not have chosen a better hotel! We arrived to a friendly and efficient Reception and Concierge team who were on hand to help organise our trip. Huge thanks to Luis and Kimberley for helping secure our dinner reservations at Spice Market and for suggesting great bars and activities throughout the day. They helped organise our whole trip and because of it we managed to squeeze a lot into 3 days. Location is great and all the main attractions are easily accessible, rooms are spacious with modern decor and a bath tub that you could get lost! Thoroughly enjoyed our breakfast and would recommend the Eggs Benedict to anyone going. Huge thank you to all the staff for making our stay a pleasurable one- will most definitely return here one day :o)

stamford, ct
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 20, 2012

My husband and I stayed here for our anniversary this past weekend, and it was a beautiful, low key place to be for the weekend. I don't know why there are so many complaints about the lobby--yes, it is not the Waldorf, but it is not trying to be an old-fashioned grand hotel.with gaudy chendeliers and tufted sofas with fringe, It is sleek, modern, wood-paneled, understated and elegant with a most gorgeous etched-copper tile art installation behind the desk which is almost worth the price of staying overnight itself. Everything is quiet, and no-drama. Our room, a superior king, was on the small side, but well -designed and well-equipped. The bathrooms, dripping with quartz surfaces; read cool and understated again, with a TV behind the mirror, and sumptuous absorbent robes. The tub was wonderfully deep, and the Grohe fixtures beautiful. The Duxiana beds were sleek and low to the ground,(others had a problem with this, I didn't) and oh so comfortable. I loved that you could actually open the windows and feel the breeze outside. The room's ac/heating was the most incredibly sophisticated system I have ever encountered. Whether the heat or AC was on you could not hear the system working, yet it achieved the correct temperature quickly, as if by magic.The room was soundproof, and the hallways serpentine, so that some rooms don't even face other rooms accross the hall. There were only a couple of negatives--we were never given the soft pretzels I read about and was so looking forward to after my long day hiking all over Manhattan, the personal assistants were sometimes very difficult to reach--the phone would ring off the hook, and the room had not one color photograph or print, or other art item to punctuate the sort-of monochromatic color scheme in the rooms.Other than that, I found the staff welcoming, warm and personable, as well as highly professional. We even had a view of the Empire State Building from our room--a sight which is wonderfully emblematic of NYC.If you can afford the rates, and likea cool, modern vibe, this is a great place to stay in Midtown.

Room Tip: If you are venturing out, ask to see if the house car, a Maserati is available to drop you off. I do...
Dear Guest,

Thank you so much for your feedback. We are delighted to hear about your experience.
We apologize for not having pretzels available. Our amenities vary throughout the year based on our Chef's recommendations. We would be delighted to ensure you sample them during your nexy visit.
Our guest rooms are minimalistic and our designers have elected to limit the artwork on our walls.
We regret that we were delayed in responding to your calls. Your comment has been shared with the appropriate departments.

Please let us know when you plan your next visit and we will have the pretzels waiting for you.

Thank you again for your time.

Anne-J Maurice
grand rapids, mi.
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 19, 2012

Ok, by NYC standards this is a very nice hotel with great rooms. It has an excellent location, but a boring lobby-definately not a people watching-place to be seen, hip, or even very cool place. It is clean, with larger than usual rooms, a good staff, and is easy to access. The dining choices are limited-but who cares? After all this is New York with fabulous dining adventures on every corner. The hair salon, on Level 4, does a very nice $40 blow out to prepare you for a night on the town.

Room Tip: lower floors have no view . Ask for rooms with double sinks in the bathroom. Some rooms have walk i...
Chicago, Illinois
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 19, 2012

We came to NYC for a weekend wedding, one week after Sandy hit the east coast. So I think maybe some of my negative reviews were related to that. Anyways, here's what I think of this hotel:

Pros: decent sized room-I requested a corner unit because we had a dog with us, and didn't want to disturb neighbors. It's not the largest room I've stayed in NYC, but definitely the room with the highest ceiling and the largest bathroom. The minibar in the room has soda and sparkling water, all complimentary. In-room service was fast. Staff was nice to me, but per my husband, he walked right after me into the hotel and nobody acknowledged him.

Cons: dirty carpet, which was my biggest complaint. I was appalled to see those stains, for a five-star establishment like this, how can you have stains on the carpet? Second complaint, we needed cabs on several occasions, nobody offered to get us a cab at first, then I remembered this happened twice--after we stood outside for like 5 minutes, someone finally came to help us, but was either at the same time chatting with someone else, or really not trying as hard as I'd like to. Third and last complaint, when we checked out, we waited in line for 10 min, because there was only one girl at front desk.

Maybe it's post-hurricane and people were still recovering, or maybe this is what this hotel truly is, but the whole time, I felt like Setai was under-staffed at front desk and outside the door. Dirty carpet was unacceptable to me, staff was nice to me but not to my husband. And minimal help on getting a cab. For those reasons, I don't think I'd return.

Room Tip: Ask for corner room.
Spruce Grove, Alberta, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 17, 2012

This is a lovely hotel and the staff are incredible. They remember your name and things you have told them you are going to do, nice personal touch! Our room overlooked 5th Avenue and was nice and modern. Nice location ,we have always stayed closer to Times Square on previous visits but didn't find this too out of the way at all. We walked everywhere and it was great to be on 5th avenue and be close to all the designer stores. Would stay here again.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
AnneMauriceDOS, Director of Sales at Langham Place, Fifth Avenue, responded to this review, November 18, 2012
Dear Guest,

Thank you so very much for the wonderful compliments! We are delighted to hear that you enjoyed your visit with us. We always appreciate feedback namely when it relates to our staff.
Again, thank you for taking the time to post your comments. We look forward to your return.

Happy Holidays.

Anne-J. Maurice
Director of Sales & Marketing
Aberdeen, UK
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 17, 2012

After researching many hotels in NYC for our break, we chose the Setai. When we arrived, they unfortunately were closed due to heating problems caused by Hurricane Sandy so we had to go elsewhere for our first night. The staff on duty were very apologetic and assisted us in getting to another hotel.

Thankfully, we were able to return on day two, so spent the rest of our trip there. We had booked a Capella room and asked for a high floor. We stayed in room 1401 which was massive......and I mean huge! The bed was six foot wide and was lost in the room. We overlooked Fifth Avenue and the Chrysler Building. The room had a decent sized seating area with a sofa and two armchairs and the bed. There was a dressing room which had two double open wardrobes and drawers. This then lead into a huge marble bathroom, with twin basins and plenty of countertop space. Shower was vast with two shower heads. You honestly have to see this room to appreciate the space. I do not like small hotel rooms and hate when your cases sit in the corner on open view, which serves to remind that you are going home.....no issues here though - suitcases were well hidden from view.

The Bar on Fifth has a nice, relaxed atmosphere and has jazz bands playing every night.

Location of the hotel is great for going to the various sights of NYC in both lower and midtown Manhattan.

Had a serious personal issue during stay. Brian Fahey, Concierge Manager, was absolutely fabulous with his assistance. He always made sure that he kept up to date with the situation and it helped me feel a little more relaxed.

Managed to use the hotel car (a Maserati) a couple of times - nice touch of luxury.

Our room was right next to the lift shaft but we could not hear any noises. The room is at the end of the corridor with one other room and is a fair distance away from other rooms, so no disruptions from others walking past.

Did not eat in the hotel (apart from room service late one night, which was good). Plenty of coffee shops, etc nearby for breakfasts.

The Nespresso machine and complimentary mini bar (soft beverages) was a nice touch. Have been in plenty of high end hotels which did not have this. There have been some previous comments bout these not being replenished when used but a quick call to Guest Services soon sort that out.

Would definitely recommend to others and would stay here again on our return.

Room Tip: Room 1401 was very large and quiet
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Langham Place, Fifth Avenue? Share your experiences!