“Amazing Hotel- would stay here again!!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Langham Place, Fifth Avenue

Save Saved
You added Langham Place, Fifth Avenue to your Saves list
Langham Place, Fifth Avenue
5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   400 Fifth Avenue, New York City, NY 10018 (Formerly The Setai Fifth Avenue) (Manhattan)   |
Hotel deals
Ranked #12 of 454 Hotels in New York City
London, United Kingdom
“Amazing Hotel- would stay here again!!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 21, 2012

My boyfriend surprised me a trip to NYC this weekend and he could not have chosen a better hotel! We arrived to a friendly and efficient Reception and Concierge team who were on hand to help organise our trip. Huge thanks to Luis and Kimberley for helping secure our dinner reservations at Spice Market and for suggesting great bars and activities throughout the day. They helped organise our whole trip and because of it we managed to squeeze a lot into 3 days. Location is great and all the main attractions are easily accessible, rooms are spacious with modern decor and a bath tub that you could get lost! Thoroughly enjoyed our breakfast and would recommend the Eggs Benedict to anyone going. Huge thank you to all the staff for making our stay a pleasurable one- will most definitely return here one day :o)

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (266)
  • Turkish first
stamford, ct
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 20, 2012

My husband and I stayed here for our anniversary this past weekend, and it was a beautiful, low key place to be for the weekend. I don't know why there are so many complaints about the lobby--yes, it is not the Waldorf, but it is not trying to be an old-fashioned grand hotel.with gaudy chendeliers and tufted sofas with fringe, It is sleek, modern, wood-paneled, understated and elegant with a most gorgeous etched-copper tile art installation behind the desk which is almost worth the price of staying overnight itself. Everything is quiet, and no-drama. Our room, a superior king, was on the small side, but well -designed and well-equipped. The bathrooms, dripping with quartz surfaces; read cool and understated again, with a TV behind the mirror, and sumptuous absorbent robes. The tub was wonderfully deep, and the Grohe fixtures beautiful. The Duxiana beds were sleek and low to the ground,(others had a problem with this, I didn't) and oh so comfortable. I loved that you could actually open the windows and feel the breeze outside. The room's ac/heating was the most incredibly sophisticated system I have ever encountered. Whether the heat or AC was on you could not hear the system working, yet it achieved the correct temperature quickly, as if by magic.The room was soundproof, and the hallways serpentine, so that some rooms don't even face other rooms accross the hall. There were only a couple of negatives--we were never given the soft pretzels I read about and was so looking forward to after my long day hiking all over Manhattan, the personal assistants were sometimes very difficult to reach--the phone would ring off the hook, and the room had not one color photograph or print, or other art item to punctuate the sort-of monochromatic color scheme in the rooms.Other than that, I found the staff welcoming, warm and personable, as well as highly professional. We even had a view of the Empire State Building from our room--a sight which is wonderfully emblematic of NYC.If you can afford the rates, and likea cool, modern vibe, this is a great place to stay in Midtown.

Room Tip: If you are venturing out, ask to see if the house car, a Maserati is available to drop you off. I do...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
AnneMauriceDOS, Director of Sales at Langham Place, Fifth Avenue, responded to this review, November 27, 2012
Dear Guest,

Thank you so much for your feedback. We are delighted to hear about your experience.
We apologize for not having pretzels available. Our amenities vary throughout the year based on our Chef's recommendations. We would be delighted to ensure you sample them during your nexy visit.
Our guest rooms are minimalistic and our designers have elected to limit the artwork on our walls.
We regret that we were delayed in responding to your calls. Your comment has been shared with the appropriate departments.

Please let us know when you plan your next visit and we will have the pretzels waiting for you.

Thank you again for your time.

Anne-J Maurice
grand rapids, mi.
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 19, 2012

Ok, by NYC standards this is a very nice hotel with great rooms. It has an excellent location, but a boring lobby-definately not a people watching-place to be seen, hip, or even very cool place. It is clean, with larger than usual rooms, a good staff, and is easy to access. The dining choices are limited-but who cares? After all this is New York with fabulous dining adventures on every corner. The hair salon, on Level 4, does a very nice $40 blow out to prepare you for a night on the town.

Room Tip: lower floors have no view . Ask for rooms with double sinks in the bathroom. Some rooms have walk i...
Chicago, Illinois
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 19, 2012

We came to NYC for a weekend wedding, one week after Sandy hit the east coast. So I think maybe some of my negative reviews were related to that. Anyways, here's what I think of this hotel:

Pros: decent sized room-I requested a corner unit because we had a dog with us, and didn't want to disturb neighbors. It's not the largest room I've stayed in NYC, but definitely the room with the highest ceiling and the largest bathroom. The minibar in the room has soda and sparkling water, all complimentary. In-room service was fast. Staff was nice to me, but per my husband, he walked right after me into the hotel and nobody acknowledged him.

Cons: dirty carpet, which was my biggest complaint. I was appalled to see those stains, for a five-star establishment like this, how can you have stains on the carpet? Second complaint, we needed cabs on several occasions, nobody offered to get us a cab at first, then I remembered this happened twice--after we stood outside for like 5 minutes, someone finally came to help us, but was either at the same time chatting with someone else, or really not trying as hard as I'd like to. Third and last complaint, when we checked out, we waited in line for 10 min, because there was only one girl at front desk.

Maybe it's post-hurricane and people were still recovering, or maybe this is what this hotel truly is, but the whole time, I felt like Setai was under-staffed at front desk and outside the door. Dirty carpet was unacceptable to me, staff was nice to me but not to my husband. And minimal help on getting a cab. For those reasons, I don't think I'd return.

Room Tip: Ask for corner room.
Spruce Grove, Alberta, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 17, 2012

This is a lovely hotel and the staff are incredible. They remember your name and things you have told them you are going to do, nice personal touch! Our room overlooked 5th Avenue and was nice and modern. Nice location ,we have always stayed closer to Times Square on previous visits but didn't find this too out of the way at all. We walked everywhere and it was great to be on 5th avenue and be close to all the designer stores. Would stay here again.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
AnneMauriceDOS, Director of Sales at Langham Place, Fifth Avenue, responded to this review, November 18, 2012
Dear Guest,

Thank you so very much for the wonderful compliments! We are delighted to hear that you enjoyed your visit with us. We always appreciate feedback namely when it relates to our staff.
Again, thank you for taking the time to post your comments. We look forward to your return.

Happy Holidays.

Anne-J. Maurice
Director of Sales & Marketing
Aberdeen, UK
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 17, 2012

After researching many hotels in NYC for our break, we chose the Setai. When we arrived, they unfortunately were closed due to heating problems caused by Hurricane Sandy so we had to go elsewhere for our first night. The staff on duty were very apologetic and assisted us in getting to another hotel.

Thankfully, we were able to return on day two, so spent the rest of our trip there. We had booked a Capella room and asked for a high floor. We stayed in room 1401 which was massive......and I mean huge! The bed was six foot wide and was lost in the room. We overlooked Fifth Avenue and the Chrysler Building. The room had a decent sized seating area with a sofa and two armchairs and the bed. There was a dressing room which had two double open wardrobes and drawers. This then lead into a huge marble bathroom, with twin basins and plenty of countertop space. Shower was vast with two shower heads. You honestly have to see this room to appreciate the space. I do not like small hotel rooms and hate when your cases sit in the corner on open view, which serves to remind that you are going home.....no issues here though - suitcases were well hidden from view.

The Bar on Fifth has a nice, relaxed atmosphere and has jazz bands playing every night.

Location of the hotel is great for going to the various sights of NYC in both lower and midtown Manhattan.

Had a serious personal issue during stay. Brian Fahey, Concierge Manager, was absolutely fabulous with his assistance. He always made sure that he kept up to date with the situation and it helped me feel a little more relaxed.

Managed to use the hotel car (a Maserati) a couple of times - nice touch of luxury.

Our room was right next to the lift shaft but we could not hear any noises. The room is at the end of the corridor with one other room and is a fair distance away from other rooms, so no disruptions from others walking past.

Did not eat in the hotel (apart from room service late one night, which was good). Plenty of coffee shops, etc nearby for breakfasts.

The Nespresso machine and complimentary mini bar (soft beverages) was a nice touch. Have been in plenty of high end hotels which did not have this. There have been some previous comments bout these not being replenished when used but a quick call to Guest Services soon sort that out.

Would definitely recommend to others and would stay here again on our return.

Room Tip: Room 1401 was very large and quiet
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 15, 2012

I stayed at The Setai NYC on business in Oct 2012 for 5 nights.

My room was a good size with a large comfy bed, was extremley clean and had a wonderful view of The Empire State Building. The bathroom was also a good size with a large bath/shower and even had a small TV screen built into the mirror above the sink!

Location wise the hotel is excellent with the Empire State Building and Macy's within a stone's throw and all the shops of 5th Avenue on your doorstop. Grand Central Station and Times Square are also a short walk away and the hotel has 3 subway stops close by (Herald Square, Grand Central/42nd and 42nd/Bryant Pk).

The staff I cannot fault one bit, they were very helpful and very polite at all times and couldn't do enough for you. There is a very nice bar just by the lobby which I used a few times but note, there is a jazz band in there during the evenings and can get quite loud if you are after a quiet drink! The restaurant is very highly rated and was recommended to me but I didn't get the chance to use it. For breakfast I opted to go outside rather than use the hotel with Pret, Starbucks and a deli right outside.

Overall, this is a great hotel with excellent staff and facilities and I would definitely recommend it, but, being a 5 star hotel is a bit on the expensive side, even compared to other 5 star hotels I ve stayed in, you can probably get something in NY very similar for a bit cheaper.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business

Been to Langham Place, Fifth Avenue? Share your experiences!