“Ate weird stuff...loved it all!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Takashi

Takashi
456 Hudson Street, New York City, NY 10014-3781 (Manhattan)
(212) 414-2929
Cuisines: Japanese, Grill
Dining options: Reservations, Late Night
Neighborhood: Manhattan
Sylvania, Ohio, United States
“Ate weird stuff...loved it all!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 23, 2013

I ate things I never thought I would (or could)....and they were amazing!

This is our new favorite restaurant in NYC and we will eat here every time we visit.

We didn't have a reservation, but 3 of us showed up anyway to see if we could get a table. They sat us immediately with the understanding that we had about 1.5 hours to eat due to booked reservations.

We agreed and started our dining experience.

They finally kicked us out about 3 hours later after we ate half the menu and had 2 bottles of wine. ;-)

I suggest you don't even look at the menu...just ask your server to bring out the best dishes. You'll enjoy them all!

We had the Testacargot (first time I ever had balls in my mouth...and they were delicious), Beef Schmaltz Crostini (with Truffle oil - yum), 1st Stomach, 2nd Stomach, the Tongue "Experience," intestines, sweetbreads and our favorite....cheek!

Like I said...I ate stuff I never thought I could and I love every bite.

Enjoy!

• Visited April 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere

Boston, Massachusetts
“Just go!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 14, 2013

Oh my god this is one of the beat restaurants experiences I've ever had,. If you always wanted to try something you thought you never would this is the place to do it. But you have to like beef!

• Visited March 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
San Jose, California, United States
“Over Promise, Under Deliver”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 23, 2013

Have heard several reviews of this place and thought I'd check it out. Walked in and sat at the bar in this tiny little place. Things started out fine but once I saw the menu, I wasn't wowed. Mostly oddities on the menu, at least for the American palette. Tried the steak and intestines, along with a beef tartar. The tartar was fine, but tasted only like sesame (oil and seeds). The intestines were incredibly chewy to the point on being inedible, and the steak fell flat. $145 for an app and two entrees, and left hungry. Ended up grabbing a dog at Gray's Payapa and wished I had just gone there in the first place.

• Visited February 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 1 of 5 stars Food
Vancouver, BC
“2 hour time limit in table”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 23, 2013 via mobile

went for dinner with 5 friends. food was ok. atmosphere ok. but after spending $800 and when we asked to order more we were told our 2 hour time limit was up and they kicked us out. We were all very disappointed and dismayed after spending so much. sadly, we won't be returning.

• 2 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
Los Angeles, California, USA
“Japanese BBQ of both familiar and exotic meats”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 14, 2013

This was one of the most interesting dining experiences we have ever had. We were a party of 4. Menu choices range from prepared appetizers and snacks/entrees to grill your own meat. We chose the grill your own, and tried beef belly (delicious!!), sweetbreads, beef large intestines, beef liver, and beef testicles. Not for the faint of heart (although they have traditional Korean kalbi etc as well). Prices are steep (just 1-2 bites of meat each person for $15-$20). Rice-bombs were interesting (sushi rice wrapped in either a sesame leaf or nori) but not that innovative. Uni appetizer was a one-bite piece of heaven, as was the $20 foie gras-stuffed mini Kobe burger drizzled with chocolate sauce. Came here at the advice of an Anthony Bourdain episode.

• Visited January 2013