“Shower delight! My go to hotel in NY” 5 of 5 stars

Good Morning Sunshine
Ranked #23 of 454 Hotels in New York City
GreenLeadersBronze level
London, United Kingdom
“Shower delight! My go to hotel in NY”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 7, 2014

Friendly staff with a super relaxed informal check in and check out. In my room in 2 min! Modern feel with all the conveniences. Shower with rain shower, hand held and foot soak. Heavenly. The breakfast and lunch is delicious! Rooms are large for NY and very clean and comfortable. My go to hotel in NY.

Green Features: Friendly, helpful and nice staff in every part of the hotel. You are made to feel truly special.
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled solo
Andaz5thAveMgr, Assistant Director of Rooms at Andaz 5th Avenue, responded to this review, May 10, 2014
Dear RKNtravels,

Thanks for the compliments!
Happy to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us.

Best regards,
Ratna

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (331)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 5, 2014

I really liked the hotel and the service except for how the shower works. I went there with my family a few days ago. It's really close to the national library. They have really nice staff at the hotel. The conceirge works well. The Restaurant is good enough but I would rate it 6/10

Stayed May 2014
Zurich, Switzerland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 5, 2014

Stayed here for a week in April/May 2014. We arrived at around 2 pm and were checked in by a very friendly and professional concierge. We couldn't resist her offer to upgrade to a large room on the 14th floor, and it was well worth it.

The room was really spacious, with a separate entry area/living room. 2 large flat screen TV's (one in the living room, one in the bedroom) - the digital receiver boxes are a bit noisy but can be switched off. The free minibar is a nice perk, and it gets refilled diligently. Cleaning and turn down service were impeccable. The bathroom is very large (2 sinks) - water pressure in the shower was a bit low though, especially when using the rain shower.

There was some construction work going on across 41st Street late at night - not the hotel's fault of course, but it should perhaps be considered when choosing which floor or side of the building one prefers.

Location wise, this Midtown Manhattan, so you know to expect a lot of nearby restaurants, bars and attractions, as well as good access to the subway; the area is also a little quieter than the streets closer to Times Square, although of course still pretty "touristy". Overall, we had a great time here (best place I personally have stayed at in 4 visits to New York, and good value when considering the size of the room) and sure hope to return in the future.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
Andaz5thAveMgr, Assistant Director of Rooms at Andaz 5th Avenue, responded to this review, May 9, 2014
Dear Kloddz,

Thank you for staying with us at Andaz 5th Avenue.

Glad to hear that you enjoyed your spacious room including the complimentary minibar and liked the convenience of receiving morning and evening cleaning service. Thanks for the compliments!

Hoping to see you back in NY soon.

Best regards,
Ratna
Saint Paul, Minnesota, USA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 2, 2014

The best place I've stayed in NYC. Great location: walkable to Times Square and Central Park; close to shopping and subway connections. Outstanding rooms: surprisingly roomy, comfortable bed, cool design features, incredible bathroom, no outside noises. Staff was helpful and friendly. Complimentary items in the mini-bar was a nice touch. And it wasn't even expensive.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
Cornelia S, General Manager at Andaz 5th Avenue, responded to this review, May 4, 2014
Dear Jeff B,
Thanks for the fantastic review! We know there are many great hotel options in NYC, so we're humbled by your comment of being the best place you've stayed in the city. Come back soon! And send me a shout so I can say hello & thank you in person.
Best,
Geneva, Switzerland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 29, 2014

Very trendy, clean and quiet! I stayed there for weekend with a friend of mine. Staff is very attentive and caring. The suite was awesome, very modern and super clean. Bathroom is spacious and stylish. After we got in the room, we made Nespresso coffee for ourselves. High quality coffee was a great surprise after a long trip from Dallas! The location is great, just in the heart of Manhattan.The restaurant serves perfect breakfast, and it has a view on 5th Avenue. It's been a lot of pleasure to enjoy the breakfast and overseeing new yorkers rushing to work! Highly recommended!

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
Cornelia S, General Manager at Andaz 5th Avenue, responded to this review, April 30, 2014
Dear Yurly I,

Thanks for the fantastic review! We love the feedback. Glad to hear that you enjoyed the Suite. Did you feel like a NYC Resident? I agree about the view from The Shop-It's fun people watching and one can never get tired of the beautiful view of the New York Public Library!

Come back soon! We have 9 different Suite configurations...so you should try them all! :-)

Best,
London, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 27, 2014

When we arrived, our first impressions of the hotel were great. While we were checking in at about 2pm after a long flight we were told by the receptionist that our room wasn't ready. This was fine as we already knew before coming that check-in wasn't until 4pm but we were then told that the room still wouldn't be ready after 4 and we were offered a standard room until it was. We were now getting angry as we were extremely tired and wanted to unpack in our own room. When we told this to the receptionist, she started talking back to us and being rude asking us not to get 'technical' with her. She then got the manager who was more friendly and we sorted the situation out however still hugely unimpressed by the unprofessional behaviour of the receptionist.

Apart from that our room was amazing with a brilliant view of fifth avenue. It was huge and perfect for 3 of us. The room was very modern and the mini bar was free apart from the alcohol and it was topped up daily. The beds were comfortable. Gym was brilliant.

The atmosphere was a bit dreary and the 'bar' area was poor. A better bar would have been nice.

Apart from the mishap at the beginning, the staff were extremely helpful for the rest of our stay. As it was my first time in New York I was very unsure about the best places to visit and eat etc but the other receptionist and the concierge helped us greatly.

Room Tip: We had a room a loft room in the second block. Views were good and room was spacious.
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled with family
Dear I-love-obergurgl,

So sorry to hear about your arrival experience! Honestly, I was embarrassed to read your feedback as it's not like us. Nonetheless, thanks for sharing and I'm glad to hear that the remainder of your stay was much better.
Would you mind reaching out to me at cornelia.samara@andaz.com?
I would love to chat with you more about your initial experience. Thanks and I look forward to hearing from you.

Very best,
Sydney, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 27, 2014

This hotel is on our firm's hotel program and whenever I can I prefer to stay at this property over others in Midtown for a variety of reasons including the great service from the staff, size of the rooms, quality of restaurant downstairs, and the small little inclusions like mini bar and quality of the amenities in the room, all of which make it an enjoyable stay at the Andaz.

The only few things that I would suggest could be improved are:
1. When you put the privacy sign on your door, it is only respected to a point. If you've not surfaced by noon or thereabouts they call you wanting to know when you'll be leaving. On only one occasion have they put a note under the door asking me to call if I want the room serviced. Two occasions in particular come to mind (though there are others), one there was a snow storm in February and no one was going outside, including me, so I stayed in the room and worked there all day...until they called me while I was in the middle of a conference call, wanting to know when they could come in. The other occasion was when I had flown in from Hong Kong, my body clock was shot, I was so tired and couldn't sleep for ages, and finally drifted off only to have housekeeping call me. I was furious. I find this particular issue a constant frustration.
2. They say they respect the environment and please hang up your towel if you intend to keep using it. Which I do. They change them over anyway. Kind of defeats the purpose.

Aside from these things however as I say it is a great hotel and I would most definitely recommend it to other people.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled on business
Dear Nathanj78,
Thank you for your loyalty! We love it when our guests come back as we get to know you better & you become more of a friend & family member to us. I appreciate your candid feedback about privacy-looks like we have an opportunity there. Sorry about those frustrating times. We've discussed as a team and will definitely be more attentive in this regard in the future. Conservation is a top priority for us as well so we've reminded our Housekeeping Team to trust our guests' wishes & participation in the program.
Hope to meet you during your next stay! Please let me know when you're back.
Very best,
Cornelia Samara

Been to Andaz 5th Avenue? Share your experiences!