“super super chic” 5 of 5 stars

GreenLeadersBronze level
Vancouver, Canada
“super super chic”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 25, 2014

This hotel made me fall in love with the Andaz brand. This was my first time ever booking with Andaz, and I love the concierge concept of this hotel. They are extremely personable. It's a really fun and hip hotel to stay at, with very detailed service, and it's the small things that elevated our experience, like a courtesy car to a restaurant. Bathrooms and cleanliness are really important to me when I travel, and I have to say I love the design of this place; it is unexpectedly functional but very chic at the same time. I also love that it's so close to the New York Public Library which is one of my favourite places in NYC. The only thing is that there isn't really enough storage for clothes...

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Cornelia S, General Manager at Andaz 5th Avenue, responded to this review, April 27, 2014
Dear Andreatangerine,

I'm delighted to read that you fell in love with Andaz! I'm happy to share that the brand is expanding; Andaz Tokyo will be our 12th Andaz opening this June! We're excited too.
Come back soon!
Very best,
Cornelia Samara

1,285 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (299)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Hinckley, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 24, 2014

We stayed at the Andaz for 3 nights over the Easter holidays. We had chosen the hotel for its perfect location in Midtown Manhattan and also based on a few reviews and pictures on the internet and we were not disappointed. We stayed in a standard king. The staff upon our arrival was very attentive and check in was dealt with swiftly, accompanied by a complimentary glass of wine. The room was very clean and well sized by NY standards. The bathroom was huge with plenty of fluffy white towels and robes and plenty of really good quality toiletries. We were on the 4th floor and unfortunately, there was some digging in the evenings but the work did not carry on through the night so we always managed to get some sleep. In the city that never sleeps, I suppose you can expect a little bit of disruption! The staff were really helpful and as they don't wear a uniform, the whole atmosphere was very informal. All the hosts we talked to were very helpful and informative. We made the most of the hotel central location and walked to Central Park, Grand Central Station and the library (across the road) as well as Time Square. We also walked all the way down to the 9/11 memorial and to the High Line.
We would certainly consider staying at the Andaz again and we will recommend it to friends and family.

Room Tip: It probably would be a good idea to ask for a room as high as possible to avoid the traffic noise.
Green Features: Toiletries were not tested on animals and towels were changed on request, same with bedding
Dublin, Ireland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 22, 2014

I booked the Andaz back in October for a stay in NYC at Easter.
I did the usual reviews on TA & various other sites.
The Andaz won out based on location and boy am I glad that it did!!
This is the perfect location to visit New York - Grand Central, Empire State, Top of the Rock, Times Square all on your doorstep literally, plus all the great shops of 5th Avenue.
And yet you are away from the real chaos of some of the more touristy areas!
It was like an oasis of calm from the first minute we arrived.

The foyer is very cool - no traditional checkin desk here.
A central square area, with hosts with ipads to check you in.
Our reservation was dealt with quickly & efficiently by Bianca and as the room wasn't quite ready we were seated in the lobby & given complimentary tea/coffee/water. This is available at all times during your stay which is a big plus!

Our room was huge! (Room 709) I think we were upgraded as we were celebrating my birthday.
The attached photo doesn't do it justice as it seems a bit dark but it wasn't.
Very comfortable & well appointed.
Great sized bed & pillows. Blackout blinds with bedside controls meant the room was totally dark to ensure a great night sleep.
Huge high ceilings - just a great sense of space which is pretty hard to find in NYC.
The mini bar snacks & soft drinks are all free of charge & refilled each day.
There was a note in the room apologising for the construction on the street outside - we were not disturbed by the noise, but perhaps that was becasue we were on the 7th floor.
I do agree with another reviewer that the windows need a clean - was especially noticable on the sunnier days!

We ordered 2 glasses of wine to our room on arrival - a bit of an ouch moment - $45 including the various charges.
However... each evening free wine was provided in the lobby between 6pm & 9pm - a really nice touch!
And the hotel also arranged for delivery of a free bottle of champagne to celebrate my birthday - totally unexpected & a really nice touch!
They also assisted with having a birthday cake delivered to the room, with plates, cutlery & napkins.

The bathrooms are amazing!
Huge with loads of extras provided.
One of those great rainforest showers, but also a normal directional shower head with great pressure.
And I just loved the stone foot spa - think I used it every day! Perfect after all the sightseeing.

We didn't eat in the restaurant but that's mainly becasue there is so much choice right on your doorstep. The bar is lovely though and we enjoyed going there for a relaxing drink. We felt very at home in this uber cool hotel, right in the heart of Manhatten.

Yes it was expensive, but most hotels in NYC are!
It was totally worth it and I would love to stay here again!
It's probably the coolect hotel we've ever stayed in....
We hope to be back!

Thanks

• Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
Andaz5thAveMgr, Assistant Director of Rooms at Andaz 5th Avenue, responded to this review, May 10, 2014
Dear Brenda-Kearns,

Thank you for staying with us at Andaz 5th Avenue for your birthday weekend!
Happy belated birthday :)

Thanks for taking the time to review your stay and for the nice compliments.
Happy to hear you enjoyed your stay!

All the best,
Adelaide, Australia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 22, 2014

And neither will you, if you get a room facing construction site or a room with a connecting door. We arrived in NYC on a red-eye flight, and took the first available room around noon. Once in the room, we were a bit surprised that we could hear our neighbours talking through the connecting door quite well. Tried changing the rooms, but the hotel was full, so no options were available till much later in the day. In the meantime, the neighbours heard us calling the reception and stopped talking. There you go - two rooms of people with no privacy.
After spending the whole day out, we returned to the room too late to switch it and went to sleep around midnight. To be woken up before 6 am with the noise of constructions outside. Next night the drilling noise started around 11pm and was going on till 1am.
Granted, the hotel has no control of their surrounding streets. Yet, nothing can substitute lost time of rest, and at the going room rate you can't blame me for expecting good sleeping conditions.
We had to extend our stay by one more night and were allocated to a different side of the building, without noise. After a night of solid sleep, we actually could appreciate the place we were staying in a bit better. Nespresso coffee in the room, wide range of amenities as a part of Hyatt complimentary list, breakfast with the view of the library. Yet, this hit-and-miss situation discouraged me and my travel companion enough, so the rating is much worse than could have been.

Room Tip: I actually liked the layout of the standard bedroom more than the loft room. The loft room has separ...
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled on business
Dear no_nonsense_12,
Thanks for your review and I'm sorry you were with us during a week that the city had street work outside the hotel. Unfortunately, we rarely get advance notice on such work. I'm glad to say that the work has been completed. I hope you consider staying back with us in the future-we can certainly plan in advance on placing you in the most quiet room with no connecting doors.
Very best,
Cornelia Samara
Norwalk, Connecticut
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 20, 2014

Rarely I come across NYC hotel that's worth the price tag. Too often I come across substandard hotel which only redeeming factor is its location. Andaz 5th Ave was anything but that. I stayed here for anniversary, and the hotel (every staff I met at the hotel, room, location, amenities, etc) all went above and beyond to make sure the experience was as pleasant as possible. Part of it is the standard Andaz quality that I come to appreciate (free snacks, wine at the lobby), but I want to emphasize that it's the intangible (the level of service that makes you feel like VIP all the time) that sets apart Andaz 5th Ave from other expensive 5 star NYC hotels.

I'm not going to lie that the hotel is "affordable". But let's face it. NYC hotels are expensive. If you are spending a lot of money for a hotel anyway, why not spend it at the place that makes you feel like it's worth it?

Room Tip: high level (Rm 802 was very nice)
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
Andaz5thAveMgr, Assistant Director of Rooms at Andaz 5th Avenue, responded to this review, May 4, 2014
Dear Chris C,

Thank you for your great comments.
I'm glad to hear that you enjoyed your stay and our 'VIP treatment' :)
Happy belated anniversary and hope to see you again at Andaz 5th Avenue soon!

Best Regards,
LONDON
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 17, 2014

There is a reason why this is one of NY's top rated hotels. Actually there are many reasons. It was our second stay at the Andaz for myself & my 11 year old daughter. They really know how to look after you. The location is absolutely perfect. Close enough to walk to Time Square (2 blocks) if that is your bag, but far enough away to not be noisy. Close to subway & bus stops, which are so easy to use to get you downtown. We always hate leaving here, but leaving this time was sweetened by the new "parting gift". Another small but appreciated gesture. This is not the cheapest hotel to stay in. But trust me, it is worth every cent and once you have stayed here you will not want to stay anywhere else in the city. We will be back.

One tiny negative comment that I am reluctant to leave was that the windows in the bedroom needed a good clean!

Room Tip: Have stayed in 601 & 701. Both have the beautiful view of the library.
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled with family
Dear Michelin-Star-Chick,

Thank you for selecting Andaz 5th Avenue again for your stay in the city!
We're honored to be your hotel of choice and happy to hear that you and your daughter had a good time.
Hoping to get to meet you next time you're back with us.

Until then all the best,
Arlington, VA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 15, 2014

We booked a two bedroom suite and a regular room. Both were great but the suite was fantastic. Def a bit pricey but very convenient with a family. We also had some guests over one evening and the staff was fantastic. Everyone from the doorman to the service staff; Just impeccable. Would recommend to anyone and everyone. And the location/view is incredible... If you're thinking about staying, go ahead and book it because you won't regret it.

Also other great things: breakfast options and the bar/lounge in the basement made the experience that much better.

Stayed April 2014

Been to Andaz 5th Avenue? Share your experiences!