“Trendy and Elegant” 5 of 5 stars

GreenLeadersBronze level
Riverhead, New York
“Trendy and Elegant”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 25, 2014

Everyone was so personable from the moment we walked into the hotel. Front desk helped us to check in quickly as we were late for a show. The room was clean, modern and had everything one needs on a short trip. There were also free snacks and water in the room. Complimentary coffee in the morning was a great touch as well as a magnet that they give as a little souvenir.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (351)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
London UK
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 24, 2014

Stand up in the dark to check in however tired you are. Wait hours for lift. Room where there is literally nowhere to unpack clothes bar 2 small trays. Lighting which was as difficult to regulate as a teenager. Ditto the heating. Shower with no door and a broken head which sprayed us and all our luggage thoroughly. Desk so low you couldn't sit at it. Ditto the chair. . No bedside lamps. Breakfast where coffee cups have no handles and too hot to hold, even for the waiter. We were woken two nights running by a 'lady' visiting our next door neighbour at 3am. He must have been asleep so she shouted and banged on the door until we were awake and went out to complain. The hotel refunded one night in acknowledgement. Nowhere to sit comfortably downstairs and a total lack of style.

Room Tip: Don't choose any room in this hotel although I travelled in 2011 so things may have improved by...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
Cornelia S, General Manager at Andaz 5th Avenue, responded to this review, January 25, 2014
Dear Jiinx,

I'm really sorry that you had such a disappointing stay at our hotel. In general, we receive fantastic reviews so it's disheartening when I read a review such as yours. Nonetheless, Thank you for taking the time to share your honest feedback. Rest assured that your concerns will be addressed to best of our ability. I'm happy to see that we refunded once night as a courtesy. Please don't hesitate to reach out to me personally should you decide to give our hotel another try.

My very best,
Astana, Kazakhstan
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 22, 2014

Amazing hotel from check in to check out.

Location is excellent being right on 5th avenue, opposite the New York library, directly opposite the metro station and right in the heart of midtown - everything accessible by foot.

The market restaurant was top notch for both breakfast and dinner and the lobby area for the residents evening wine tasting was perfect.

Rooms are large and light and the showers magnificent, happy to relax in the confort of the room after a long day site seeing and shopping.

Staff were friendly, helpful, accommodating and always willing to go out of their way to assist in all aspects of New York life.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
Washington DC, District of Columbia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 21, 2014

We stayed here two nights on (what has become an annual) trip to New York City in January 2014. Based on previous experiences at this hotel, both of which were wonderful, we again booked at the Andaz.

Overall, we again had a very nice experience--the hotel is beautiful, the amenities are high-end, and the location is great. That said, the past experiences were exercises in perfection--truly flawless. This stay was less so--while very nice on the whole, my partner and I agreed that this hotel's service standards (which are, admittedly, very high based on our previous experiences) had slipped.

For instance: upon arrival at the hotel, mid-morning in a taxi, no one came out to the taxi to help with bags. That might be understandable if the bell person wasn't busy, but I was surprised to walk in the door of the hotel (which wasn't opened for us) to find the bell person standing next to the door engrossed in her iPad.

We were warmly welcomed to the hotel by the staff person, and checked-in to a room before the formal check-in hour--much appreciated. However, I had to ask the person who checked-us in about how my Hyatt Diamond benefits applied to the stay (including a substantial breakfast credit). The employee was gracious in explaining those benefits--but at a hotel of this quality I should not have to ask/remind. Upon check-out, we were not offered the departure gift we had been offered on previous visits.

On previous visits, one of the things that has most impressed me about this property is how the staff conducted themselves. Staff in the lobby were always plentiful and ready-to-assist; on each return to the hotel, we were greeted upon entering the lobby (often by name). When we wanted something to drink--coffee, tea, etc.--staff were happy to obtain it (offers of coffee, tea, etc. in the meal are standard for this hotel). Staff at the door were ready to open it.

Quite different on this stay: routinely, we would enter the lobby from the street or elevators and not be greeted by a single staff member. This time, the staff members would 'clump:' instead of being spread across the lobby, ready to help and greet guests, they were gathered around the front desk, conversing among themselves. When we wanted coffee one morning, we served it to ourselves (off carafes on a tray) instead of someone helping us with it (despite a staff member being perfectly free to do so...they were just too engrossed in their own conversation to notice).

Probably most annoying was when it was raining outside. The hotel has umbrellas to lend to guests (nice gesture). When we came down from our room, the agents at the front desk were busy assisting other guests with check-in/check-out, so we inquired of the door person if we might get an umbrella--the door person was doing nothing other than typing on her iPad (so quickly it appeared she was playing some sort of game). The door person--who was perfectly capable of going to the closet and getting two umbrellas--told us "someone at the desk can help you." We then stood at the desk for 5+ min, waiting for an agent to free up, while the door person did nothing and continued to type-away on her iPad. The agent, once free, walked to an unlocked closet and got us two umbrellas. Could the door person (who, by the way, did not even open the door for us when we left with our umbrellas!) really not have taken care of that? Sheer laziness.

We enjoyed a Saturday-night visit to the The Bar Downstairs, which has excellent cocktails. On Sunday evening (of a holiday weekend), we had planned to meet some friends for a cocktail prior to heading out to dinner. Turns out, the Bar Downstairs is closed on Sunday evenings. So, we figured we might be able to get a cocktail in the hotel's main restaurant, off the lobby, and were happy with that as a substitute. That restaurant was open--but not serving mixed drinks...because The Bar Downstairs was closed. I suppose it is the hotel's prerogative to decide when various venues should be open/closed, but I found it totally bizarre that a hotel of this standard/price point would not be able to offer its guests a mixed drink in any of its establishments on a Sunday evening. Isn't a hotel bar sort of a standard thing?--I mean, I can get a mixed drink in a Holiday Inn on a Sunday night.

One thing I would be warned of as a guest: the cost of room service. My Hyatt Diamond breakfast voucher applied to room service, which was VERY nice. We ordered a pot of coffee, a bakery basket (two croissants and a muffin), some OJ, and a bowl of berries. This was $76.00. Everything was very good--and, in my lucky case, the hotel covered most of the expense with the breakfast credit--but had I been paying that amount, I would feel totally ripped off...$76.00 is outrageously expensive for what was, in essence, a continental breakfast (nothing hot beyond the coffee and nothing cooked-to-order).

Again, it was a nice stay, all-in-all: rooms are very cool and elegant (in a modern way), hotel has understated elegance, housekeeping was fantastic, beds were super-comfortable, bathrooms are awesome...but the lackluster service dropped this from a flawless, never-miss-a-detail, 5-star place to a 4-star property in our book. Let's hope it is a temporary glitch.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
Dear brmusicman,

Thank you for the 4* rating despite the experience that you had. Honestly, I would have given us a much lower rating for the service you received with our Host team. I'm really sorry that you didn't get the type of service that we're known for and one that you have experienced yourself in the past. Please consider as a "glitch" versus a downward trend. No excuses whatsoever but a great reminder for our team to stay on top of their game every day! Thank you for being such a loyal Hyatt member by the way. Please reach out to me personally when you plan your next trip to NYC-would love to meet you in person....and make sure that you're very well taken care of next time.

One more thing-we are actually currently working on a cocktail program for The Shop. Coming Soon.

With Warmest Regards,
Chicago, Illinois
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 20, 2014

After some initial frustrations with this property after it first opened, this is now one of our favorite hotels in NYC. Great location, excellent service, spacious and modern rooms, and delightful food & beverage options make this a dependable choice. Room rates have increased somewhat, but that seems justified by the overall value proposition.

Breakfast in "The Shop" is delicious.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
Middlebury, Vermont
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 19, 2014

We spent 2 nights in the splash suite and one night in a one bedroom balcony suite. Even though the splash suite is huge (700+ square feet) the layout is a bit awkward with the huge middle room taken up by a giant tub with no way to really close it off (great if you're a couple, less great if you're a group of friends). Speaking of lack of privacy, the bathroom has no door so if you want privacy, you have to shut all the doors to the bathroom. But onto the good - beds are super comfie, decor very chic, loved the black foot soaking tub, awesome pillows, great views to the 42nd street library... oddly enough we preferred the layout of the slightly smaller one bedroom balcony suite as the space was better used. Loved the look of the bathroom but in practice, the water temp varied quite a bit from burning to lukewarm and the rain shower is SO high that there is a big temp difference between the wand and the showerhead (and no door so water gets all over). I know they don't like a formal lobby, the the whole laptop welcome committee is a bit odd. In the splash suite, we could hear every word of the people in other rooms. MUCH quieter in our suite on the 14th floor.

In short, a very cool, chic hotel with some minor flaws. If you can get a good price (we used Hyatt Gold passport miles), you can overlook some of the minor quirks, but if we had paid full price, we might have been more picky. Loved the free amenities (all but alcohol). Bath products could have been better.

Room Tip: Ask for a high floor.
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled with friends
Dear VTwelltravelled,

Many thanks for the overall great review. I appreciate your opinion of the Splash Suite vs. the Balcony Suite. We do have 7 more suite types (total of 47 Suites) so you may want to try another one the next time you're here. I completely understand the "privacy" concern with the bathrooms. In regards to the bathrooms amenities-I'm happy to share that we'll be launching a new amenity line in February. We're partnering with the Fabulous Beekman Boys in Upstate NY to launch the Beekman1802 line. It's an all natural product made of goats milk! Don't worry, it doesn't smell like goat!
Thanks again for your time and I look forward to hosting you again at Andaz 5th Avenue. Be sure to let me know you're back so i can say hello in person.

My very best,
mid-atlantic
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 18, 2014

For decades I have always stayed at another midtown hotel, but this week I stepped outside my familiar world and stayed at Andaz 5th Avenue. Unfortunately I was there for less than 24 hours, but I can't wait to go back.

We had a lovely suite on the 9th floor overlooking 41st St. Incredibly roomy, beautifully furnished, amazingly quiet. The bed was incredibly comfortable with the best pillows I've ever had in a hotel. This combined with the remote controlled blackout shades made for a great night's sleep. The bathroom was amazing ... Something right out of Elle Decor! The living room was incredibly comfortable with a couch that must have been 10 feet long! Complimentary snacks and drinks was a welcome treat. My only criticism was a lack of space for clothes. There was a closet but no dresser or drawers of any kind. Not a big deal since we were only there for one night but on a longer trip I like to completely unpack and this would not have been possible.

The service was fantastic. The young woman who checked us in also took our bags, escorted us to our room and showed us the features of the suite. Checking out was a breeze also ... All done on iPads!

Yes, I may have a new favorite hotel for the next few decades!

• Stayed January 2014, traveled on business

Been to Andaz 5th Avenue? Share your experiences!