Nice, modern hotel with a central position to visit New York. As a family of 3, we chose it to spend a 6-day vacation. There are several positive points but also negative ones that can be easily corrected by the management.
- central position
- modern design
- quiet place - no noise from other rooms
- helpful staff at the reception
- free mini bar (non alcoholic beverages) refilled once a day & Nespresso coffee machine with 6 caps
- very comfortable rooms, beds are great
- rooms are large (we had a suite on the 10th floor) with a lot of space (entry with kitchenette, living room, bedroom and a huge bathroom with a luxury shower) and two TVs.
- the cosmetics offered in the bathroom are always replaced and more importantly do not contain parabens and other toxic chemicals. I really appreciated that point.
- during our stay hot water and heating were turned down during the night and staff kindly informed us personally and with a letter
- we unfortunately had to look under the sofa in the living room to grab a fallen toy and what we discovered was just disgusting (old socks, old shampoo bottle, tissues, old crushed biscuit...). We reported the situation to the front desk and needless to say she looked horrified. The staff cleaned the space during the day (but not completely...). I did not expect such a finding in a 5* hotel... It is disappointing.
- breakfast (even with the Full breakfast option (as booked on the internet), you have a budget of USD 25 per person which is impossible to respect as the prices of the meals are totally overdone). Moreover, even if we announced that we traveled with a 7 year old girl, they gave us USD 50 (for 2 people). They allowed us USD 25 more when we asked about the details of this strange offer... We can understand that the hotel would like to offer something special for breakfast but it would be better to have a buffet especially because options for children are very limited to croissant and milk. Nothing was mentioned about the budget when we booked - we find that very misleading. No cereal available on the menu (but available for breakfast in the room at USD 6 per bowl). Needless to say that we were disappointed by the breakfast choices of available meals even if the quality and taste of the ones we chose were excellent.
- nothing to boil water and make some tea (no tea bags around)
- the bathroom is not well lit. Even in vacation I would like to check my face before going out...
- it is a pity that the very nice wooden floor is in some places (bedroom & living room) covered by the carpet
- personnel serving breakfast was running short on smiles. However, it gradually improved over our stay...
Some tips for those willing to stay at Andaz:
- do not take the breakfast as there are plenty of places you can go (prêt-à-manger, some bakeries around,...). You can also buy some cereals, cookies, fruits in markets around as the hotel is providing coffee and milk, you will have a real full breakfast.
- if you want to have Japanese takeaway do not forget to visit Sunrise Mart on the 41st (12 East) - 50m on your left (cross the street) when you exit the hotel; they have beautifully tasty sushi and noodle soups (and also several other hot dishes ready to eat)
- if something is missing in the room or in the freezer, just ask. Normally they are quite willing to help and make you happy
- do not look under sofas...
This review is the subjective opinion of a TripAdvisor member and not of TripAdvisor LLC.
Report response as inappropriate
Greetings from NYC and thank you very much for choosing us for your recent stay. I am pleased that many aspects of your stay were enjoyable but I am very sorry to hear that there were definitely things we could have done better for you.
I was appalled to hear of the cleanliness issue in your room, be assured that this will be shared with the housekeeping team so we can be sure we are checking this area daily and not letting this happen again.
Furthermore I shared your feedback about breakfast and the available options with our food and beverage team so they can look into that.
If there is anything I can do for you or if you would like to chat further please feel free to call the hotel any time and ask for me in person,
with very best regards,
This response is the subjective opinion of the management representative and not of TripAdvisor LLC.