“What a great surprise!” 5 of 5 stars

GreenLeadersBronze level
Bethlehem, Pennsylvania
“What a great surprise!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 30, 2013

When I booked it I was a bit concerned: the location was too perfect for the price so I was expecting... Well, I was not at all expecting what I found: a beautiful, new, welcoming and exceptionally located hotel. The room was really spacious for NYC and the bathroom was outstanding. The mixture of wood and stainless steel is classy and trendy. Water, snacks and sodas are...free. Can you believe it? "Hotel, water, NYC and free" very unusual combination. What about the location? Right in front of the library, on 5th avenue?! Service is gracious and polite, they make you feel welcome. By the way, the hotel is very clean. I would recommend it, actually I already did, I told my sister who owns a travel agency, to send her customers there.

• Stayed April 2013

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (378)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Cambridge MA
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 30, 2013

We were unable to upgrade, so we had to stay in the new tower rooms on 4th floor for 3 nights. These rooms were painted gray, with no decoration on any wall such as art of any form( maybe just a black and white photo would add a sense of comfort ..)windows looked out across small courtyard to other windows of other rooms. No natural light filtered into rooms at all. Minimal artificial light in room. One wall light had burned out near desk and was not replaced for the 3 days we were there. Only one chair in room, a small upright desk chair, so you could not sit to read comfortably anywhere except bed. Bathroom shower fixture controlled all three faucets in shower and had no explanation for how it worked or for temperature control. My husband gave up and took cold showers. Beautiful spring sunshine in NYC , so we survived. I felt like I returned to prison cell. Rest of hotel was interestingly designed.

Room Tip: Do not chose lower floors in Tower...avoid Tower rooms if possible, at all costs!
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
New York City, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 30, 2013

My wife and I stayed here for one night to celebrate a birthday/anniversary. Upon check in, we were informed that there was no heat or hot water in the building due to the city doing some maintenance on the pipes on the hotel's side of the street. Right away the room was reimbursed with 22,000 points to cover a free night. The staff handled the situation correctly, based on the fact that it was totally out of their control. Having said that, perhaps they could have notified customers in advance of check in and given the option to move to the Andaz Wall Street. Regardless, we snuck a shower in as there was still hot water in the tank. To the room itself: Large, modern and beautifully furnished. The clear glass closet is a cool touch. The complimentary mini bar should be adopted by all 5 star hotels, enough with the petty charges for a bag of chips. The bathroom was tremendous and had all the requisite luxury bath items. We had a library view room which was really pretty also. The location is perfect for theater, and the parking on a weekend is ample and free on the street which was nice. Overall, the stay was enjoyable and the service was excellent. Would definitely consider it again for a weekend jaunt.

Room Tip: Ask for library view room, very pretty!
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Arlington, Virginia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 24, 2013

I wish I stayed here longer, I stayed at the Andaz 5th Ave for one night on a work trip. So I didn't get to enjoy it as much as I would have liked. The customer service was fantastic, I couldn't have asked for better service. The hotel has a boutique feel to it, and its pretty trendy. So much so, that the person who checks you in walks you up to your room, and shows you how to work everything. For example the shower had like three different options, I appreciated that they personally showed me how to work it because I would have been annoyed trying to figure it out at 6am the next day.

They provide you snacks and non-alcoholic drinks for free, and even serve wine (for free!) in the evenings. I did have dinner at The Shop and it was tasty and fast, excellent service! The location is perfect, its by Bryant Park so optimal location if you're doing business in midtown or anywhere in Manhattan actually! Definitely staying there everytime I return to NYC!

• Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
Rochester, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 24, 2013

the biggest challenge in visiting NY is finding a hotel that is affordable, mpt too small and in a good location. I have never found one uo until now that has all three. my friends let me pick the hotel so I researched it well and andaz seemed to have it all. fortunately I was right. all four of us felt the same way. what an incredible find. we had been to the bar downstairs which was quite memorable a year before but had not stayed there. we will definitely become l oyal Andaz customers in the future. the only thing we found disappointing was the hours of the hotel bar. it was quite crowded but seemed to shut down quite early, much earlier than we would have liked

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends
Andaz5thAveMgr, Manager at Andaz 5th Avenue, responded to this review, April 25, 2013
Dear JJPDDS,
Greetings from NYC and thank you so much for choosing us for your recent trip! I am thrilled to hear that you and your friends felt like you made the right choice by staying with us and all of the team hope that you keep making the right choice and come and stay with us again! :)
If we can ever do anything prior to a future arrival please don’t hesitate to let us know,
Best regards
Ryan
Rolle
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 24, 2013

Nice, modern hotel with a central position to visit New York. As a family of 3, we chose it to spend a 6-day vacation. There are several positive points but also negative ones that can be easily corrected by the management.

Positive points:
- central position
- modern design
- quiet place - no noise from other rooms
- helpful staff at the reception
- free mini bar (non alcoholic beverages) refilled once a day & Nespresso coffee machine with 6 caps
- very comfortable rooms, beds are great
- rooms are large (we had a suite on the 10th floor) with a lot of space (entry with kitchenette, living room, bedroom and a huge bathroom with a luxury shower) and two TVs.
- the cosmetics offered in the bathroom are always replaced and more importantly do not contain parabens and other toxic chemicals. I really appreciated that point.
- during our stay hot water and heating were turned down during the night and staff kindly informed us personally and with a letter

Negative points:
- we unfortunately had to look under the sofa in the living room to grab a fallen toy and what we discovered was just disgusting (old socks, old shampoo bottle, tissues, old crushed biscuit...). We reported the situation to the front desk and needless to say she looked horrified. The staff cleaned the space during the day (but not completely...). I did not expect such a finding in a 5* hotel... It is disappointing.
- breakfast (even with the Full breakfast option (as booked on the internet), you have a budget of USD 25 per person which is impossible to respect as the prices of the meals are totally overdone). Moreover, even if we announced that we traveled with a 7 year old girl, they gave us USD 50 (for 2 people). They allowed us USD 25 more when we asked about the details of this strange offer... We can understand that the hotel would like to offer something special for breakfast but it would be better to have a buffet especially because options for children are very limited to croissant and milk. Nothing was mentioned about the budget when we booked - we find that very misleading. No cereal available on the menu (but available for breakfast in the room at USD 6 per bowl). Needless to say that we were disappointed by the breakfast choices of available meals even if the quality and taste of the ones we chose were excellent.
- nothing to boil water and make some tea (no tea bags around)
- the bathroom is not well lit. Even in vacation I would like to check my face before going out...
- it is a pity that the very nice wooden floor is in some places (bedroom & living room) covered by the carpet
- personnel serving breakfast was running short on smiles. However, it gradually improved over our stay...

Some tips for those willing to stay at Andaz:
- do not take the breakfast as there are plenty of places you can go (prêt-à-manger, some bakeries around,...). You can also buy some cereals, cookies, fruits in markets around as the hotel is providing coffee and milk, you will have a real full breakfast.
- if you want to have Japanese takeaway do not forget to visit Sunrise Mart on the 41st (12 East) - 50m on your left (cross the street) when you exit the hotel; they have beautifully tasty sushi and noodle soups (and also several other hot dishes ready to eat)
- if something is missing in the room or in the freezer, just ask. Normally they are quite willing to help and make you happy
- do not look under sofas...

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
Dear PasMarAl,

Greetings from NYC and thank you very much for choosing us for your recent stay. I am pleased that many aspects of your stay were enjoyable but I am very sorry to hear that there were definitely things we could have done better for you.
I was appalled to hear of the cleanliness issue in your room, be assured that this will be shared with the housekeeping team so we can be sure we are checking this area daily and not letting this happen again.
Furthermore I shared your feedback about breakfast and the available options with our food and beverage team so they can look into that.
If there is anything I can do for you or if you would like to chat further please feel free to call the hotel any time and ask for me in person,
with very best regards,
Ryan
Gloucestershire, England
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 23, 2013

After many, many stays at the Sofitel nearby, we felt it was time for a change. We'd had good experiences at the Andaz in London, so when we spotted the hotel on Fifth Avenue, opposite the Public Library, we thought we'd give it a try. I'm very pleased we did!

The location suits us well and any fear we might have had from a noisy street outside vanished when we were shown to our upgraded suite on the 14th floor, overlooking the rear of the building. OK, no wonderful views, but a good night's sleep is more important, I think. The hotel is contemporary in style but comfort hasn't been sacrificed, thank goodness. We'd make one or two minor changes to the room layout but for the two of us it was perfect. We really appreciated the tea/coffee and complimentary soft drinks and snacks and the free wifi was super fast and very efficient too.

The bathroom arrangement worked fairly well, though the doors were tricky to negotiate in the middle of the night! The huge walk in shower took a little adjustment but once sorted, we loved it. Nevertheless, there wasn't really anywhere to put things in the bathroom and we'd have appreciated a small stool or a hook on which to hang clean clothes whilst showering - the floor isn't a good place to put things like this!

Attentive and efficient staff warmed the otherwise dark and rather cold atmosphere of the lobby and were happy to answer queries throughout our stay, Perhaps their biggest challenge was attracting a taxi for us when we left for the airport, but even that proved to be no problem and as we left, we agreed that we've probably found our new favourite NYC hotel.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to Andaz 5th Avenue? Share your experiences!