“Sharp yet subtle and discreet” 5 of 5 stars

Good Morning Sunshine
Ranked #24 of 451 hotels in New York City
GreenLeadersBronze level
san francisco
“Sharp yet subtle and discreet”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 17, 2013

First time staying at an Andaz, and will definitely stay again when back in NYC, or they're someplace I am working or playing.

Not a flashy place, but that's what I liked about it. Terrific location, right across the street from the NYC Library, but an almost undetectable entrance on 41st Street instead of 5th Avenue. The feeling is more like a club than a hotel, and the staff was relaxed and always ready to help.

The rooms are designed to not look like hotel rooms - maybe even a little too much so, but perhaps I'm not the exact demographic they're aiming for. I like the clean design and spareness of the room which allowed you to focus entirely on the view of the Library and skyline. Only negative to the room was that the "fit and finish" was a bit off - like the door to the compartment containing the safe was sagging and didn't close cleanly, or the large window shade was frayed and curled at the edges where many previous guests have pulled it back to see outside, or a lot of scratches and scrapes on the the window seat.

The bathroom was quite large, good lighting, great bath products. The shower controls were not as intuitive as they might be, and it took a lot of tinkering with the knobs to figure out how it all worked.

But overall, it's the atmosphere - a nice quiet, well designed spot, away from the crush of NYC that makes this so much better than a "hotel." Couldn't ask for a better location in order to have the City at your disposal, and I can't wait to come back.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple

1,286 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (300)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Dallas, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 17, 2013

The Andaz on 5th and 41st Street is a real find. Directly across from the steps of the main library the hotel is well located. The hotel has hip Euro feel. The staff was all extraordinarily nice and helpfu. I think most were aspiring actors. The rooms were good size and quiet, which is hard to find in NYC. I plan to stay here again.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
Boston, Massachusetts
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 17, 2013

My wife and I had the opportunity to stay at the Andaz 5th Ave for 1 night while visiting New York City. The hotel is a very unassuming and smaller but personal hotel. If you aren't deliberately looking for it you might miss it on the corner of 5th Ave and 41st Street but that is partially what I really like about it.

On arrival the staff begins right away walking care of you. There isnt the traditional front desk setup, the staff is in the lobby area and their is a kiosk in the middle of the room where they assist you. I have never seen this kind of set up before but I have to say I really like it allot. It makes everything feel very personal and allows you and the staff to interact quite regularly as you come in and out of the hotel. Off the lobby is a lounge area that serves free coffee in the morning and beverages in the evening which is very nice. Parking was a bit confusing but if you pull onto 41st street in front of the double black entry doors, someone inside will take care of it.

We arrived early so our room was not quite ready yet, but the staff took our luggage and got my phone number to call me once it was ready. My wife and I took a walk down to Times Square which is only a few blocks away and after about an hour and a half the hotel called us as promised that our room was ready.

Our room was fantastic, much larger then your standard New York City room, with a separate seating area with a sofa, table and desk. In a cabinet as you walk in the door is a full size fridge that for the first time in my life contained FREE soft drinks and snack, what an awesome concept, most hotels dont even give you free water, I love it! Of course wifi is also free and works very well. The whole concept this hotel has for not nickel and dimeing you for everything in the room is a real win, wish others would follow.

The bedroom had a fantastic bed. Everything is very modern from hardwood floors in the living area to the central controls for the lights and drapes. I looked down and saw rooms on one floor had balconies, definitely will try that out next time. The room has the best bathroom I have ever seen in New York. A large rain shower area with bench and bowl to soak feet, a double vanity, just awesome, plan on copying it when I remodel. Bathrobes and slippers were also in the bathroom.

We had a chance to have room service breakfast and like everyone says, you have to try the pancakes and french toast, awesome! Overall a perfect stay, wonderful staff who are genuinely happy to see and talk to you to one of the best rooms I have ever stayed at in Manhattan. I would be comfortable staying in that room for 1 month let alone 1 night, loads of room, spotlessly clean and perfectly designed.

Fantastic Job Andaz ! I will be back

Room Tip: I personally would definitely try the rooms with the balcony but regardless you really cant go wrong...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
US Navy Afloat
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 17, 2013

Visiting NYC for 3x nights - for the 2013 NYC Half-Marathon - and thought I would give Hyatt brand Andaz a visit (based upon Trip Advisor reviews) - and I was NOT disappointed! All the positive reviews are right-on-spot.....this property does not miss a beat.

LOCATION - Hmmm, I don't think you can get more centrally located on Mahattan. Property is directly across the street from the NYC Main Library (entrance is discrete on Library Way). The "S" train is behind the property on 42nd, and Grand Central Station is one block away. And, the property sits on 5th Ave. You can get ANYWHERE from this hotel, quickly and safely.

ROOM - Where do I start? The bathroom is nearly as large as the sleeping area. I dare anyone to find a property in NYC with a bathroom this large. And, the shower is unreal (huge rain shower head wayyyyy up in the ceiling) the shower is literally a RAIN SHOWER!! All you need is thunder and lightning. The towels are the size of car covers. Bed is extremely comfortable. And, the view - - well, I was in the North Tower (there are 2 towers) - Rm 1019 (top floor) overlooking 42nd St and 5th Ave, and I could not have been more pleased with the view. Plus, you can sit on the window ledge inside and just read and watch the city below. The C&O Bigelow tolietries were fantastic (never smelled body wash like that before, nor soap like that). You need a degree in Pysics to figure out the alarm clock, but, I managed (and it takes an Ipod too). There are no light "switches" - just touch panels.

INTERNET - Complimentary - fast enough, and always available.

MINI-BAR - - FREE SNACKs and Sodas (and water)?!??! No, really - - it's free. And the staff was very accomodating (I drink more cola than other products, so they remove the other cans and loaded me up with cola).

STAFF - - Ramon at check-in (and at check-out) was the perfect host. All staff that I met during my stay went out of their way - - very friendly - very accomodating.

BUSINESS ITEMS - I was there on personal business, but I witnessed several "groups" that rented out the 2nd floor "Studios" and they loved the event. There is actually a wide-open kitchen/cooking area on the 2nd floor for events - - where I guess you bring your own Chef, and they cook for you. The rental Studios face 5th Av and 42nd St. Have your event here!

There are NO annoying "Tip Hungry" doormen (doorwomen) or Valets to deal with at this property - it was very refreshing not to get bombarded at the door for a tip every 5min. The wine service on Mon-Thur (I was there Thurs) was complimentary and above average for those "Manager Wine Servings". Elevators were fast (never had to wait), and the door key and elevator pass-key process is tip-of-the-spear (no swiping....just hold the key in front of a pad). I never got down to the "Cellar" Bar or the weight room - but, based upon the other reviewers, I'm sure that both were impressive.

When visiting NYC, I will stay nowhere else! This is my home in NYC.

Room Tip: Stay in the NORTH TOWER! Very secluded (you have to ride a elevator to the 2nd floor, then loop a...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled solo
Sydney
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 17, 2013

I stayed at the Andaz 5th Avenue on business and it was just a great hotel. It was excellent value for money considering that it was New York where rooms are quite expensive. I paid approximately $350 a night. The room itself was very large by NY standards and had a king size bed, desk, small wardrobe, bar area and the bathroom was huge! I loved the shower which had multiple shower heads and was all very zen and relaxing in a cool sort of way. The room did not have a view and looked onto other rooms but I guess I didn't come to NY for the room! However, it did mean that you couldn't really open the blinds or curtains and always had to keep them drawn if you wanted privacy, so it made the room a little dark. The hotel is low key and minimalist - if you like the over the top service with a door man and people fawning over you, you probably will think that Andaz 5th Ave is a little standoffish. Having said that I thought the staff very understated yet very helpful. Check in was a breeze even though it was late at night when I checked in. Everything was all very high quality but in a quiet, unassuming way. The location was fantastic! Right on 5th avenue an in mid town area so you could walk to a lot of places or catch an easy subway train. I would definitely stay here again if I come to NY.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 15, 2013

It is our 16th trip to NYC and we are always looking for an interesting place to stay. Although we have stayed mostly in midtown we have also stayed in the Upoer West Side. This hotel will now be our favorite. Located on 5th across from the New York Public Library and Bryant Park makes the location perfect for exploring the city. The staff is attentive, check in is fun and unique as you are offered a drink and checked in in mobile devices and taken to your room and given a full explanation of all the "cool" room features. The bar downstairs is a vibrant happening place that is a,ways packed and with the Chef's doing their thing right there it is fun to watch. Complimentary wine for happy hour in the lobby is a nice touch and a great way to meet people. The hotel is quiet, fresh and nicely appointed. Stay here and you will not regret it.

Room Tip: Choose a loft room for great views and a very nice sized room especially for NYC standards.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
Andaz5thAveMgr, Manager at Andaz 5th Avenue, responded to this review, March 16, 2013
Dear Kinosao,

Wow! Thank you for your kind words. It means a lot coming from somebody who frequently tries out new hotels in New York. We look forward to having you back the next time, and please let me know if there is anything we can do to make your stay even more enjoyable!

Warm regards,

Connie
Stockholm
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 15, 2013

Had a great stay at Andaz with the family in late february. Everything about this hotel makes you feel right at home, perfect location just opposite New York Library. Functional room with a great terrace including all necessary equipment and full assistance from the concierge. We will definitively come back!

Room Tip: Some of the large suites comes with a terrace
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled with family

Been to Andaz 5th Avenue? Share your experiences!