“Great Midtown Hotel” 4 of 5 stars

GreenLeadersBronze level
Hilton Head
“Great Midtown Hotel”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 16, 2012

I was lucky enough to use my Hyatt two free nights to stay at this hotel in early December. Went with my adult daughter and we stayed in a corner room with two twin beds on the ninth floor. It's tough to find good hotels with two beds in a room in NYC so this was a bonus. The room was very quiet. I could not hear anyone from other rooms, the hallway or any street noise. The room has a sleek modern design and was spacious for NYC standards. I loved the bathroom. Being able to get a cold bottle of water at all times was great and snacks in the rooms was a nice touch.

I also loved the overall vibe of the hotel; small, hip, clean, and friendly. Great artwork. Not warm and cozy though. The seating in the "lobby" is not particularly comfortable or inviting. The staff was young and not as experienced as one would find at a five-star hotel but this is not a five-star hotel. They did the best they could to help with restaurant reservations, shopping information and other general information. Easy walk from here to Grand Central Station to hop the subway and cabs easy to find. Loved being across from The New York Pubic Library and Bryant Park. Lovely pop-up stores and ice skating in Bryant Park for the holidays. Beats the craziness of Rockefeller Center in my book.

There are a few problems that I believe can be corrected easily. One is the lack of proper lighting in the room, the architect and designers clearly were not thinking of women when they designed the rooms. It is very dark and would be really difficult if you were trying to get ready for a special event. Also there is no drawer space and the closet is minuscule. Not sure how to correct that issue. The other problem is that the beds, at least the twins we slept in, were not very comfortable. Very firm which is fine if you like it that way. All in all though, my memories are of a great stay.

Room Tip: I'd go for a higher floor, corner room, and a view of the Public Library is nice, Of course, I...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (323)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Washington, DC
2,178 helpful votes 2,178 helpful votes
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 16, 2012

Other hotels in NYC that are space challenged would do well to take note of what Hyatt has done with its two Andaz properties here. Not only is the 5th Avenue property in a great location, but the rooms are wonderfully designed and well appointed and the staff does a great job in terms of customer service. My wife and I arrived at 10am on a Saturday morning and the hotel had been sold out the night before. However, the young lady checked us in quickly and asked for a phone number to call us when our room was ready. We went out to have breakfast and before we were finished she call to let me know that the room was ready. We also loved the complimentary snacks and beverages in the mini frig, as well as in the lounge. The only drawback is that the Internet is painstakingly slow, which is the reaso for the 4 stars. Except for that, the hotel is a 5 all around. Would definitely recommend highly.

Illinois
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 11, 2012

I'd never heard of this hotel, but came away a big fan! It is a boutique-style hotel with a European feel; staff always ready to serve and yet laid-back and friendly. The location on Fifth Avenue was walking distance to most of the sights we wanted to see. Perfect. The rooms and bathroom were modern and beautiful...we had a suite with a little kitchen mini-bar set up with complimentary espresso-maker, juices etc. and loved the complimentary wine in the evening! It was such a great stay and such a beautiful hotel and everyone on staff could not have been nicer!!! Thanks for all you did to make our trip to New York special…..we loved every aspect of the Andaz experience. And we will definitely be back!

Room Tip: We had a corner suite on the 13th floor. looking out at 42nd st....windows and light and a great set...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 11, 2012

Having stayed there during Huricane Irene (I agree this was 2011) the staff really helped us out on numerous subjects (changing flights, transportation, meals and laundry while the city closed down, etc.). Rooms were excellent and attached which fitted our family needs very well. Location is hard to beat. Would go there again!

• Stayed January 2012, traveled with family
Terra Linda, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 9, 2012

A word to the wise and select your room carefully here. We had a loft room on the 8th floor; half of the room is an "office" (it really is an office!) which they did inform us at check in. The room is really only appropriate for a single business traveler. Only one drawer in the room so I used the office to lay out my suitcase and lived out of the that. Bathroom was roomy and the bed very comfortable. Decor is Japanese sensibility meets European minimalism. The controls for the shower were very challenging--no kidding! City noise does filter in--not bad but bring ear plugs just in case this bothers you. For the most part the staff was very helpful and friendly and attentive. The food here is just excellent (breakfast and room service); I would eat here even if i was not staying here. Entrances, dining areas, lounges are not well marked so you have to guess your way around for a bit. Location is excellent: very close to Grand Central Station and tons of eating and shopping options. I would definitely stay here again but would be more discriminating about the choice of room. Lastly, an observation and not a complaint: no holiday decorations to be found here in the midst of December!

Room Tip: You need to ask specifically what you are getting in the room: is there a sitting area, is there a l...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 7, 2012

First stay at the Andaz and I was quite impressed. Walk distance to some attractions like Times Square, Empire State Building, Top of the Rock, Grand Central Station etc.... The location is amazing!!
The rooms are really modern (minimalist type decor) and very clean, stylish and spacious bathroom, mini bar included except for the liquor. The staff was amazing specially Jenny Rodriguez from concierge who helped us a lot before and after our stay.
My only issue was the lack of wardrobe or closet. Other than that highly recommended.
I'll definitely stay here again.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Danville, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 6, 2012

We stayed here in May 2011 to attend a friend's wedding. My husband and I took a red eye from SFO and we planned on meeting my sister, brother in law, 5 month old nephew, and their dog who had driven up from VA. We stayed in a two bedroom suite with views of the library, Bryant Park, Empire State Building, and a glimpse of Times Square. The location was superb. We were within walking distance to my favorite NYC places including Ktown, Central Park, and 5th Ave.

Our suite was HUGE especially for NYC. The bathrooms are sleek with C.O. Bigelow toiletries. There was a kitchenette incluing a mini dishwasher. All non-alcoholic drinks were included in the room rate. Since my husband is Hyatt diamond, breakfast for all four adults was included in the rate and we were able to have it delivered to our suite through room service. The breakfast came from the restaurant downstairs - the shop and everything was delicious.

The hotel is trendy and modern and yet it feels cozy. The service was great.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family

Been to Andaz 5th Avenue? Share your experiences!