“One of the best in NYC.” 5 of 5 stars

Good Morning Sunshine
Ranked #24 of 451 hotels in New York City
GreenLeadersBronze level
Singapore
“One of the best in NYC.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 4, 2012

This is my first stay in an Andaz hotel. I very much prefer it to W. It is not as gimmicky. My room was superb. Very tall ceiling and very large by any standard. Views of the library. Great amenities. Wonderful shower. Ipod docking station. The work area is very useful. The only quibb is the size of the open wardrobe.
I would have no hesitation at all to stay here again.
Superb location in mid town on 5th Ave.

• Stayed December 2012

1,288 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (301)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Charlottesville, Virginia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 3, 2012

I thought the location of the hotel was excellent, directly across from the library in the Bryant Park district. The room was the very large, modern, clean, sleek, and one of the best bathrooms ever. Very unusual and unique for a boutique hotel. I did not have a lot of interaction with the staff but everyone seemed pleasant and helpful. I never got the feeling that the staff was trying to be anything other than service oriented. I will say there wasn't anyone to help open the door, but after walking from Penn Station with luggage I managed fine on my own. If the location sounds appealing, I would highly recommend the Andaz.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends
Jupiter, FL
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 3, 2012

Located about 2 blocks from 42nd Street and 5th Avenue, which is the center of New York City, the location could not be better. You are walking distance from many great restaurants and attractions, and a couple train stations (including Grand Central,) so you can get nearly anywhere by subway or train. Plus there are buses, and taxis (if you can afford to burn money and get hostile "service.")
Anyway, back to the Andaz 5th Avenue, everything was splendid from start to finish! The check-in was not just smooth...I was granted such a huge room upgrade that I was embarrassed. While accompanying me upstairs to see "if I would approve of the room," I was basically drooling at the sheer enormity of the room, two large bedrooms, an ample living-dining area, a generous balcony, and the two baths were straight out of a palace.
I am very noise sensitive, and this is always a worry when I am in a hotel, and no matter how quiet it was in my room I never heard anything! (It helps to have had a large "chunk" of the building to myself.)
The baths had exquisite amenities, the most heavenly showers I have enjoyed, the plushest towels I can recall, and there were luxurious robes every where. The bathrooms, and the closets had several.
The high floor enabled me to leave the windows (which are also the walls) without the shades covering at night, so I could take in the spectacular views (NY Public Library, Empire State Building, etc.) every second. I did not listen to the stereo nor watch TV/DVDs, but the room was equipped to be entertained in style.
The minibar...ahhhh, finally a minibar the way it would be if I chose what goes in it! Juices, water, delicious teas, and nutritious snacks! I think there may have been a beer or two, but I did not notice.
On to a perfect night's sleep. King orthopedic bed, fine linens, and not a sound! Plus, the view of NYC from my bed!
Breakfast? Yum! As a diamond member I got a huge made-to-order breakfast that was about as good as I have ever had. No charge!
Oh, and I called for breakfast "before hours" to have it delivered when "breakfast began," and there was a gentle knock on my door at the appointed time. To the second. I think the person bringing the food arrived a couple minutes early and waited for the precise second to knock. And that is the kind of service the Andaz 5th Avenue gives!
I was sorry to have been solo, as this was a room and experience to share!
Checkout went without a hitch (4 PM, as per diamond benefits), and I was sure sorry to leave!

• Stayed January 2012, traveled solo
Bolton, CT
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 2, 2012

Situated directly across the street from the NY public library in a renovated retail building, the location and service can't be beat. Its entrance on 41st is almost hidden. The rooms are very modern and somewhat quirky - all electronic lightings and lots of glass and metal. Our room was very quiet with no view, but we did not care since we were running around all over NYC on Thanksgiving weekend. Very accommodating staff. An excellent stay, I highly recommend the Andaz Fifth Ave.

Room Tip: Some rooms do not have a view if you care. Free munchies soda and water in the room. Free coffee dow...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Fort Lauderdale, Florida
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 30, 2012

I booked a larger king and it was only slightly higher than regular rooms from Marriott -- but much, much more comfortable and better in everyway. Bed was very comfortable, crazy high ceilings and as I say, the room was massive - one of the largest I've ever stayed at in Manhattan. And the staff as well as room service was terrific. Only criticism is I sent a few items to be printed out but they never made it and my laundry came back a day late.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
Indianapolis, Indiana
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 30, 2012

Very modern hotel interior and very clean and comfortable with many wonderful ammenities. The location is not great unless you like being close to the train station and library but it is so easy to get around New York CIty that this does not pose a problem. I would stay there again.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled as a couple
Sydney, Australia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 29, 2012

This hotel was a great location- corner of 5th Ave and 42nd st.It was very modern, but didn't seem slick in the service side of things, the front office people werent as attentive or as friendly as what we expected.
The room we stayed in was okay although compared to the other hotel we stayed at in NYC lacked many extras. The minibar was so basic it was almost a joke, no water by the bed, the bed wasn't that comfortable-the room just lacked detail.
For what we paid it wasn;t good value for money in our view. Not what would be expected of a Hyatt Hotel.
We would only stay here again if the room rate was a good deal as we paid similar rates at other hotels in NYC and received so much more.
I would recommend this hotel if you were wanting to be in the thick of the shopping frenzy, then this would be a good choice.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Andaz 5th Avenue? Share your experiences!